• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 Forend bag rider

PFCSkoug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share a few pictures of my latest CNC project.
We are going on a big prairie dog shoot in Northwest Texas through school. I wanted to be able to shoot my AR from a standard benchrest front rest and rear bag without my rifle rolling over.

The main body of it is made out of delrin and the area where it actually rides on the bags is a super slick plastic so it allows the rifle to ride smoother in the bag.

I also have plans to make a few that mount directly to a Picatinny rail, for the guys that have the quad rail forends.

Let me know what you guys think.

ARBagRiderpic3.jpg

ARBagRiderpic2.jpg

ARBagRiderpic.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Re: AR-15 Forend bag rider

It's interesting that you've created rails on the outside edges versus the standard flat piece of plastic 3" wide. What is your rationale? Any testing to demonstrate it is better? Certainly it is a more expensive design, so that is why I ask.

nice looking design. the rollers being the only points of contact must make it pretty slick. any photos of it in the front rest?

I can take some of it in a front bag, i dont have any right now though.

The thought behind the design is to have minimal contact on the bag and what is contacting is nearly as slick as teflon, so no teflon tape is required for it to slide as well.

I at this point in time have not been able to test it extensively, most of the testing will be done the first weekend of may on our school prairie dog shoot. I have placed it in bags. It works ok in leather bags but in cordura bags it really shines. Comparing it to some of Speedy's bench guns i can hardly tell the difference.

The tubes are fixed rigidly in the delrin but are completely interchangeable if they get damaged.

The only suggestion I would have is to try to get it a little lower profile. AR's want to twist and roll when you touch off a round and the higher you have your bag rider, the easier it is for the rifle to roll in the rest. From that perspective the lower the better.

Looks great! Wish I had the CNC setup to make something like that. Then again, I'd be buried up to my neck in chips if I did.
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PFCSkoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for your Comments Robert, PM in your inbox </div></div>

Dittos - PM in your box as well.