• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar 15 handguard

elwarpo

Still Learning...
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
North of Houston, TX
Been searching on here and I have more questions than answers. I have a AR15 in .223 VLTOR upper / lower with a 20" white oak barrel and I am looking to upgrade the handguard from a quad pic rail to Mlok. Looking for something in the 15-18" length range in FDE. I want something solid but not too heavy (not lightweight). Pic top rail is needed. I would prefer 18" to put the bipod further out. main use of the rifle will be precision plinking (not competition) and hog / bobcat / coyote control with shooting ranges up to 400 yards. I consider this a semi precision rifle with under 1 moa accuracy. Ideally the handguard should be under $200 but will spend more for the right one.

Thanks, how different is it from the Enhanced gen 2 quadrail? I already have an enhanced barrel nut I can use. I like the optional mounts for my steiner SPIR and CQBL for night vision. I just de not like the quadrail where my hand is.

Thanks, how different is it from the Enhanced gen 2 quadrail? I already have an enhanced barrel nut I can use. I like the optional mounts for my steiner SPIR and CQBL for night vision. I just de not like the quadrail where my hand is.

It's thinner than the Enhanced Gen II and uses it's own barrel nut.

Bummer, I am disappointed... The Atlas 1 does not go over my Superlative gas block. Not only that I scratched the inside trying so can not return it. Beware buying one if you have an adjustable gas block.

A little more than you're looking to spend but SLR makes good stuff and offer more than just std gas-length sizes. I've got Ion Lites on a couple of my builds. Don't think they have FDE, but they will Cerakote for $60.

mk18-16-wide.jpg

3550.jpg

Well the atlas does not fit over my handguard, it is well made though. Their customer service sucks though when i called them.
It's normal to not take back products that have been damaged, and it's on you for not looking at the diagram SA took time to have made and the ID measurement that aero posted so you can keep from being in this situation. It's almost as though there's a reason for givin the measurements.

If you didn't more than likely try to force it on it wouldn't be damaged.

It's normal to not take back products that have been damaged, and it's on you for not looking at the diagram SA took time to have made and the ID measurement that aero posted so you can keep from being in this situation. It's almost as though there's a reason for givin the measurements.

If you didn't more than likely try to force it on it wouldn't be damaged.
The ID is not the issue, they have a gas block groove that extends into the upper part of the stock. The issue is they have sharp edges on this groove. Those edges do not hold paint well (no corner does) and is too narrow for the gas block. Had they radiused the edges instead of sharp corners there would not have been an issue. The top of the gas block hits the corners, there is room above it. I measured before install and there was .15" of total clearance over the gas block. I did not force the handguard on, I saw afterwards the paint was scratched and did not want to return it to the store. I called Aero and spoke with them about it. That is where the poor customer service comes into play...

The ID is not the issue, they have a gas block groove that extends into the upper part of the stock. The issue is they have sharp edges on this groove. Those edges do not hold paint well (no corner does) and is too narrow for the gas block. Had they radiused the edges instead of sharp corners there would not have been an issue. The top of the gas block hits the corners, there is room above it. I measured before install and there was .15" of total clearance over the gas block. I did not force the handguard on, I saw afterwards the paint was scratched and did not want to return it to the store. I called Aero and spoke with them about it. That is where the poor customer service comes into play...
Whatever helps you sleep.

Whatever helps you sleep.
I have no problems sleeping, 15 years infantry taught me that. Maybe admit that Aero precision did not properly say what their product could and could not do. I replaced one Aero hand guard with another, ran into an issue and they did not give a shit.

I have no problems sleeping, 15 years infantry taught me that. Maybe admit that Aero precision did not properly say what their product could and could not do. I replaced one Aero hand guard with another, ran into an issue and they did not give a shit.
Being in the infantry has nothing to do with anything here even sleeping, that doesn’t make you win magically.

It’s not on aero you just want them to return it because you screwed up. It’s YOUR fault it can’t be returned not Aeros. Places like Walmart have ruined customers returning whatever they want for whatever reason. Stores return items they don’t even stock regularly.

You got one of the slimmest rails around with a gas block that’s not the usual shape and those wouldn’t work together, and you damaged the finish on the part that’s on you. Took me a couple seconds to google and see what forends work well with that gas block.

Now that they won’t do what you want they suck and you go online trying to make it seem like it’s their fault and not yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tx_Aggie