• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 light

Glock1943

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2021
Huntsville, AL
Hey fellas, I really want a light for my AR. I use it sometimes for home defense and had to go outside this week cause we heard something. Man I sure needed a light. I like the ones that you can press with your thumb on the left side and the light is on the right. Don't wanna spend over $500 so what ya guys got?

Surefire or modlite mounted with a pressure pad. 3-400 dollar range.

But honestly ..
Streamlight TLR 130$ Ish.

mounted at the 12,3, 6 or 9. Is plenty of light for most guys home defense. Basic light needs

Attachments

• F629377D-CB2B-421A-8F48-24CCED91050D.jpeg
    F629377D-CB2B-421A-8F48-24CCED91050D.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: Glock1943
SureFire, Cloud Defensive, Arisaka, and Modlight are going to be your higher end options. Streamlight also makes good lights (that come with a pressure pad) for $100-150. I would not recommend TLRs…they are a pistol light designed for flood, not throw.

I have several TLR 1 HL and TLR 2 HLG and HLP.

G being the model with green laser and P being the model with larger head that shines probably 400 yards. Personally the TLR 1 HL and TLR2 HL (1000 lumens) are more than sufficient for AR use in your case

If you're cheap like me but like nice things... wait for the Cloud Defensive Moonshine drops. If you're cool with mix-match anodized colors, you can get a sweet deal on a top tier light with pressure pad. I went Rein Micro. Its very nice.

Reactions: Glock1943
Recently went down this path

If you have rail space a scout light

If it’s a SBR or something similar get a TLR1

If you're cheap like me but like nice things... wait for the Cloud Defensive Moonshine drops. If you're cool with mix-match anodized colors, you can get a sweet deal on a top tier light with pressure pad. I went Rein Micro. Its very nice.
How much for the blem?

Years ago, I was involved in my agency’s flashlight comparison test and evaluations. In several different situations, numerous lights were tested. Each light was assigned a number, so the viewers could pick without bias. I ran the lights, so I knew which was on, but they were all new to me and I didn’t have a preference.

Unanimously, the Streamlight ProTac Rail Light 1 won, overall. It did not win every situation with every observer. We found that lights much brighter than 600 lumens was too bright for clearing houses (reflection of bright light on white walls or God forbid a mirror). Less than 500 lumens lost too much beyond 200 yards. Inside 200 yards, 300ish lumens is about perfect. The beam was of particular importance. Too wide, just made indirect light everywhere-good for movement detection, but bad for seeing objects, such as if the person was holding a weapon or a phone. If the beam is too narrow, you lose peripheral vision as the light forces tunnel vision. The Streamlight ProTac RL1 had the best balance, out of the lights we tested. This was a lot of what set it ahead of the others. The TenTap is really cool, as well.

My light has been through some shooting classes and a week long SWAT course where it got banged around and hasn’t caused any issues. I am a believer in it enough it’s what I put on my personal rifles.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-rail-mount-1

People like to go super bright. I prefer to keep my natural night vision as intact as possible.

This was my work rifle, before I turned it in.

2E44EF03-7240-46C5-8309-37C782BB2B9B.png

Years ago, I was involved in my agency’s flashlight comparison test and evaluations. In several different situations, numerous lights were tested. Each light was assigned a number, so the viewers could pick without bias. I ran the lights, so I knew which was on, but they were all new to me and I didn’t have a preference.

Unanimously, the Streamlight ProTac Rail Light 1 won, overall. It did not win every situation with every observer. We found that lights much brighter than 600 lumens was too bright for clearing houses (reflection of bright light on white walls or God forbid a mirror). Less than 500 lumens lost too much beyond 200 yards. Inside 200 yards, 300ish lumens is about perfect. The beam was of particular importance. Too wide, just made indirect light everywhere-good for movement detection, but bad for seeing objects, such as if the person was holding a weapon or a phone. If the beam is too narrow, you lose peripheral vision as the light forces tunnel vision. The Streamlight ProTac RL1 had the best balance, out of the lights we tested. This was a lot of what set it ahead of the others. The TenTap is really cool, as well.

My light has been through some shooting classes and a week long SWAT course where it got banged around and hasn’t caused any issues. I am a believer in it enough it’s what I put on my personal rifles.

People like to go super bright. I prefer to keep my natural night vision as intact as possible.

View attachment 7946237

That’s some food for thought

Reactions: Bluedog82

View attachment 7946237
Hey thanks for the good review! I'm definitely taking this into consideration.

Hey thanks for the good review! I'm definitely taking this into consideration.
I have one on an AK pistol and it’s held up great so far. Haven’t used the light much but still works perfectly after 500rds or so

I bought my AK like two months before the Russian ammo ban…was waiting for prices to keep dropping aaaand then saw the news. So unfortunately it took more than a weekend!

I should spread the good word of the 9mm AK ;)

These bans are dumb as shit, and it would be good to have a topic on here of the politicians who were for this BS so we can not vote for their dumb asses

I should spread the good word of the 9mm AK ;)

These bans are dumb as shit, and it would be good to have a topic on here of the politicians who were for this BS so we can not vote for their dumb asses
Got an MP5 for 9. Which, to get back on topic, is what the rail mount 1 will be switched to

TLR-2 HL Green Laser is my go to for in house and out to 100yds in typical mixed light urban neighborhoods. I like a vertical grip with pad on SBRs and rifles. Switch between laser & light, light and laser is flick of index finger. Laser preserves night vision and you can also get a red or IR filter for it.

20220901_060135.jpg

What optics are you running? Some systems, particularly iron sights and RDS that automatically adjust brightness can have issues.

What are expected distances outdoors?

Will you have lights around you like street lights, headlights etc? The more light pollution the brighter light needed to see into shadows.

The laser can be a huge advantage in some conditions.

Do you run a suppressor? Can block light pattern and make light mounting position more critical.

Last edited:
I went with Arisaka on my rifle, and I'm pretty damn happy with it. I went with the 600series body and the Malkoff E2HT head, which gives 500 lumens and 35,000 candela.

For this rifle, it seems like a perfect balance of flood and throw for the intended purpose. I can easily hit my 66% IPSC target at my 100yd line at night, but it also lights up my whole shooting berm (~40ft wide) enough to PID creatures.

They now offer the Modlite legacy head which is an even better option.

E2XT for outdoor/indoor + more $$$ but more capability for sure

TLR1-HL for indoor only or budget choice

I used to use pressure pads, but finally gave up as they usually work for 2 years and then start to have problems. Both of the ones I had were surefire, decided to stop trying

I prefer battery only over rechargeable unless you are using the rifle regularly for duty purposes.