• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 Linear Compensator / Muzzle Brake and Accuracy

bbush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
I am in the process of putting together a semi-accuracy build and have come to the point where I am having to decide on purchasing either a linear compensator or a muzzle brake. I think I want to go the route of a linear compensator over a muzzle brake because I don't like the idea of increased noise from a muzzle brake and the fact that plan on doing some accuracy testing and want to be welcomed on the shooting line (blast aimed at your fellow shooters). I guess my biggest question is if any of the linear compensators have any effect on accuracy? In other words, is one more geared toward accuracy over the others. It would make since to me that the way that the compensator directs air foward of the shooter would have some ultimate effect on accuracy. Thanks for any comments back.

That's a great question, and one that I doubt has been truly tested. I just took off a linear comp and put on my tbac cb brake and will shoot it tomorrow. I bet the muzzle blast will be pretty bad from a 12.5" pistol without the can on it, but will try my best to get an accuracy report.

Frankly, I think a properly aligned and installed linear compensator ( quality part ) would have "less" effect on precision then even an A2 flash hider... and your barrel profile matters.