• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 lite build questions

Bluegrass Colonel

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2024
Bethpage, TN
I am a noob regarding builds. I am going to first build 2 nearly identical light-weight AR-15's for my wife and me. I have already purchased light weight barrels, triggers, and optics. I have lowers.

I will sacrifice a few ounces for durability. (Yes. I realize there are direct tradeoffs.)

A couple questions:

1. I need stocks that are (obviously) light weight, but have adjustable cheek weld risers. I would prefer to add a couple ounces for one that is very solid when installed. I had been looking at Magpul PRS lite's, but the LOP on them is a concern. My wife is short with a short LOP. I prefer the major elements of the build to be identical.

2. I would appreciate suggestions on other parts (upper receivers, etc.), again as solid as possible while still light.

Thank you in advance.
BC

What optics are you running? In my experience, if the mount is lower 1/3 cowitness (1.60" for one piece mounts) or lower, an adjustable cheek riser isn't really needed, it's just extra weight. Any stock out there with an adjustable cheek is going to be relatively heavy, unless you get something janky.

Tangentially related, I watched some of the coverage from SHOT regarding the newer Magpul stocks and I think I may side step the MOE PR and check out the DT stock. The dual tension system sounds interesting and the fact that the DT stock has a SL footprint buttpad means I can put my Arisaka stock angle adapter on it and have a pretty chill set up at about 13 oz.

How much do you want to spend?

Serious question. The old racer adage of “Cheap. Fast. reliable… Pick any two” applies just as much here, just substitute: Cheap, light, reliable…pick any two.

Maybe substitute ‘accurate’ for reliable in there too.

There are very few very light/ultra light builds I’ve seen (including a few of my own) that I’d bet my life on. V7 and 2A arms make some great stuff, but you’ll pay for it. Save weight on the heaviest part of the rifle…the barrel and bolt carrier group, and then tune it to run reliably.

Faxon makes some good very light barrels, but they’re not gonna be the most accurate…likely accurate enough though; they are for my purposes, as I have them on my family’s “bug out” guns, that are also nice for backpacking.

The ranch guns are just straight up workhorses that see a lot of high round count days in a row sometimes. Not pretty, not light, but reliable as a hammer.

Have built a couple light and reliable guns that I love too…It’d likely have been cheaper to just buy KAC, but these are mine, and I learned a lot by building and breaking them to get them to where I want them: accurate, reliable, and light.

Smoke composites makes a light stock with an optional cheek riser. I found that it didn’t work with the charging handle though and I’d imagine you’ll run into similar problems with most risers.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
I have several, and never felt the need for a cheek riser with the typical 1.5”-ish optic mount.
Ditto…

i-cVBtdwW-4K.jpg

i-wvdw5xW.jpg

i-8HvBhZd.jpg

i-9P9NS6c.jpg

I’ve been very happy with their hand guards and pistol grip too… This is the lightweight, but reliable as a brick gun I originally built for competition, but is now my daughter-in-law’s primary rifle:

i-JgGg65f-X5.jpg

Smoke Composites, V7 and F1 Firearms for furniture and upper/lower. Cryptic Coatings skeletonized BCG. (I would go steel still, but I believe they have Ti. Maybe even aluminum options.) Otherwise your weight saving will be in the aiming solution you chose.

It's lightweight but accurate. It was not cheap. I do not think I'd want it in the dust or mud.
CFAR.JPG

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Smoke Composites, V7 and F1 Firearms for furniture and upper/lower. Cryptic Coatings skeletonized BCG. (I would go steel still, but I believe they have Ti. Maybe even aluminum options.) Otherwise your weight saving will be in the aiming solution you chose.

Check 2A arms as well…A couple of the pics above are based on their Xanthos large frame, and the original Balios Lite small frame receiver sets.

Re: BCGs…yeah….a lot of options. Again, how much do you want to spend, and how light do you want to go? A decent lightened steel carrier is the best middle ground, but I have a couple of the old Boomfab titanium carriers, and a super light aluminum carrier in that plastic fantastic uber-light concept build (that actually shoots pretty well for a 3# rifle):

i-pjqRqGR-X4.jpg

i-LDcXLDx-4K.jpg

…the lightweight race gun is a rabbit hole that goes very, very deep though. Be careful if you start down this path! LoL

There’s a link to an omnibus spreadsheet of parts listed by weight out there somewhere with all kinds of stuff on it, I’ll see if I can find it.

edit: here ya go:

I went with Luth AR to be lighter than PRS, But PRS light is not exactly light. It’s lighter. If you can get away with a CTR or ACS … there are many options as you can see above. CTR is my go to for light.
PB

I am a noob regarding builds. I am going to first build 2 nearly identical light-weight AR-15's for my wife and me. I have already purchased light weight barrels, triggers, and optics. I have lowers.

I will sacrifice a few ounces for durability. (Yes. I realize there are direct tradeoffs.)

A couple questions:

1. I need stocks that are (obviously) light weight, but have adjustable cheek weld risers. I would prefer to add a couple ounces for one that is very solid when installed. I had been looking at Magpul PRS lite's, but the LOP on them is a concern. My wife is short with a short LOP. I prefer the major elements of the build to be identical.

2. I would appreciate suggestions on other parts (upper receivers, etc.), again as solid as possible while still light.

Thank you in advance.
BC

Some random thoughts.

Sometimes being a noob, but wanting to learn, means recognizing your requirements may be wrong. You may have started to notice that most people do not use adjustable cheek risers on ARs, because the charging handle needs to occupy the same space. Instead, select an optic mount that is the height you need - there are a lot of different height mounts on the market, so if you can, try a few on other rifles at the range and figure out what you need. You can do a cheek riser with a few limited options, but you'll likely find that it's placed too far back to be comfortable, and/or limits you to only right hand shooting depending on the design.

Also, your definition of light weight might be different than other people's, especially if you're looking at any sort of Magpul PRS stock; how heavy do you want these rifles to be? 4 lb? 6-7 lb? Some people even think a 10 lb rifle is "light weight".

Something like the Smoke Composites stock is very light weight, with their lightest options being about the same or lighter than a standard carbine buffer tube; those are great options for a 4 lb rifle, when paired with a pencil barrel and other very light weight parts. If you use that without the additional cheek riser (which I personally don't care for) you may want to consider a lower optic mount than if you use a stock. A word of advice - get the shorter of the two LOP options from Smoke; I ended up with the longer one and it's my one regret with that particular rifle.

A reasonably light but somewhat more mainstream setup I use a lot is the Rogers Superstock - it's adjustable on a carbine buffer tube, but locks down way more solidly than Magpul's stocks. (The lock is adjustable too) It's also lighter than even the base model Magpul MOE stock, and has built in QD sling swivels. They can be had at various places online for $30-$50, and you'll need to buy a buffer tube separately of course, unlike the Smoke Composites stocks. The Superstock is a great option for 6-8 lb rifles.

Most decent forged upper receivers are light weight and strong (compared to billet). Personally I like BCM or B. King's Mod 0 uppers for the thermofit connection to the barrel extension, which is good for accuracy.

Handguards make a big difference if you're trying to build light weight. Obviously don't make them longer than necessary (longer is heavier of course), but beyond that definitely pay attention to listed weights. Not everything made with carbon fiber or specialty aluminum alloys will necessarily be the lightest. If you're looking for 6 lb rifles, a lot of decent choices in aluminum handguards will work. If you're wanting ~4 lb rifles though, your options are significantly more limited, and companies like VSeven and Smoke Composites are good places to start.

I built my own carbon fiber handguard for my latest ultralight, using thin carbon fiber tubing and an aluminum barrel nut modified in my lathe. The whole thing ended up around 2.5 oz IIRC; lighter than the barrel nuts for most handguards where the complete package often ends up in the 8-12 oz range.

As a couple others pointed out above, light weight bolt carriers and buffers are a significant part of an ultra light build too; a reduced mass operating system (with correctly tuned gas of course) helps a lot to keep an ultra light rifle on target during rapid fire. It's pretty easy to save around 4 oz compared to a common full-auto carrier setup, or even more if you want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSTN
My personal recipe for a sub-5 LB 100% reliable sub-MOA AR':

V Seven LR Enlightened receiver set
V Seven 2099 Ultra-Light handguard
V Seven titanium buffer retainer, grip screw, mag catch, safety selector (RH), push pins, fire control pins, & muzzle brake (pinned)
V Seven aluminum Ultra-Light port door and pivot rod
V Seven S7 tool steel bolt catch
Noveske "Skinny" profile 14.5" HFCL barrel with mid-length gas - feed ramps contoured & polished - bore prepped with KG-2
SLR titanium adjustable gas block
TriggerTech Adaptive trigger set at 3 LB
JP LMOS or Young MFG SLC bolt carrier group
Geissele ACH charging handle
BCM MK II recoil system with H0 buffer - I don't care about weight here. This is the part that manages reliability.
Fortis K1 receiver end plate and castle nut
Magpul MOE SL pistol grip
MFT stock

IMG_3488.jpg