• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 Mag Issue

Red Belly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
MA
I just picked up a few 30 round aluminum AR mags. I live in a ban state so these are preban mags. There are no markings so I don't know who manufactured them.

I loaded them to 28 rounds, inserted mag, bolt release, removed mag for press check. When I reinsert the mags are very difficult to seat. They have standard floor plates but they have Magpul followers. I am thinking it might be the magpul followers since once they are seated, the mags all run 100%.

I don't have any standard followers to try out to check. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: AR 15 Mag Issue

Full magazines are hard to insert on a closed bolt. Magpul Followers are not your problem. Do you have access to any other mags to test (friends, relatives, etc.)? Only thing I can say is full mags on a closed bolt = harder to seat.

Re: AR 15 Mag Issue

Yes I understand that. They just seem a little harder than normal to seat on a closed bolt.

I am trying to find some other mags to test out. I wasn't sure if it was a "stacked tolerance" issue with the magpul followers. Like I said they ran 100% once I did get them seated.