• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 Mags

Re: AR-15 Mags

Pmags get my vote too. Picked some up for 16 bucks a piece and man do they feel solid as a rock.

Are there any disadvantages or flaws in using Pmags over GI mags? I've considered getting some, but i've accumulated enough aluminum mags from my time in the army so I haven't seen any reasons to motivate me switching over yet.

Pmags are a very good choice along with the GI Mags. The Pmags have a much better follower that will not tilt. The only problem with them in the future if heavily, heavily used and dropped is the feed lips can chip and crack off. The GI mags can split on the front welds of the mag if heavily used.
I've got both and have used GI mags extensively through some intense environments. Some broke on me with time but they were heavily used. I've recently changed out the followers on my GI mags to a Pmag follower which makes a big difference.
It just depends on how much you want to spend and what your purpose for them is. You won't go wrong with either.

Get some new usgi aluminum for $9-$10ea if you want good and inexpensive magazines.

I have always been a little skeptical of the plastic magazines especially after having some Thermolds become thremelts. Pmags on the other hand are not only reliable but inexpensive and can be had in fashion colors. I did my own evaluation and after taking several out to the range and abusing them and using them on a daily basis for years now I am sold on Magpul's Pmags. I threw them against walls, (filled and empty), threw them across the range on concrete, repeatedly let them drop free with them full and empty, ran them through suppressed sustained rates of fire (5-6 mags in a row as fast I could get rounds down range and make mag changes) with no melting or charring of the magazine. I even ran over a couple with my truck just for shits and grins and they still worked. The only real down side I have found with Pmags in they are a tight fit in standard magazine pouches made for the aluminum GI mags.

Keeping the dust cover on the filled magazines is important and does help save the feed lips from becoming distorted. The slightly larger design and texture of the Pmag helps in getting a good grip on the mag in wet weather or with gloves on. Aluminum mags work like a champ and are reliable but usually only after my old surplus ones have been upgraded with new anti-tilt followers and new springs (bringing the cost to that of a Pmag if not more). Another advantage to aluminum is if your feed lips become bent or distorted they can often be reshaped and put back in service unlike broken lips on a Pmag rendering it questionalble at best.
Bottom line is how you want to spend your money and hopefully realizing that rifle magazines are a consumable piece of kit and changing them out is the cost of doing business.
A couple things to remember/consider with magazines are to inspect and clean them regularly. Magazines are often the source of malfunctions so if they are not reliable mark them and only use them for training malfunctions and failure drills. A trick I have found with the Pmags is to take a string or single strand from some gutted 550 cord and tie it to the hole on the rear of the dust cover then run the other end through the drain hole in my mag pouch. Have enough string length to allow the dust cover to clear the top of the mag pouch so that it can be reattached when the magazine is filled and stowed in the pouch with rounds going down. When you pull your magazine from the pouch the string retains the dust cover for you. This does generate a little more tension on the magazine but is easily overcome with training. Always keeping covers on has helped to maintain the feed lips shape, keep trash out of my magazines, and helped to keep from losing my dust covers.
Good luck in your quest and let us know what you go with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Keeping the dust cover on the filled magazines is important and does help save the feed lips from becoming distorted.
</div></div>

I know this was warned of at launch but magpul has since retracted this statement. If you had to keep a cover on the mag when not in use that would be a joke.

PMAGs are the way to go in all my experience, but i have not had any issues with USGI or Lancer L5 mags either.

I use both Pmags and D&H, Wideners relaoding has D&H and Cproducts for less than $10. I have had good luck with cproducts also.

The C products I bought for $6 each work just as great as my D&H's and Pmags. I use Pmags for work since alum mags stick to your hands in the Arctic. Pmags are stable to -40F (the coldest temp I've tested them to) and I haven't had one crack yet.

Bump for Pmags. A few of the common retailers are offering Labor Day discounts and coupons. Today is the last day.

another +1 for magpul products. I have magpul products of assorted grips, stocks, and mags, A+ on all of them.

Only down-side of P-Mags is their size. They are just a bit fatter than standard GI mags, so you can't fit as many of them in a "Fat Fifty", and some mag pouches can be a bit tight. Otherwise, as said above, they are the new standard.