• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 "noob" question

Msprink05

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
WNC
Im about to buy my first "black rifle" and i know very little about them. My question is, since its just gunna be something to plink with at the range what should i buy? Im not LEO... and i dont really get to the range more than once a month anyway, can i go cheap? Do i need to save some more cash and get a NAME BRAND ar? I found this at buds gunshop.com
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/1020/products_id/411537958
Does anybody have any experience with Doublestar products? The reviews say nothing but good things with all the products on the sight i just dont trust that easy.
Any insight would be appreciated MATT

Re: AR 15 "noob" question

Just make it easy and get a RRA. You know what you are getting and price isnt much more than that thing.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just make it easy and get a RRA. You know what you are getting and price isnt much more than that thing.

John
</div></div>
Good suggestion. If not RRA, then Colt or some other well-known maker. That way it will be much easier to sell if you want to get rid of it. I just saw Colt 6920s for sale at $995 (Mark's Outdoor Sports ??? in Arkansas) - I paid $1700 for the same rifle about 6 months ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im about to buy my first "black rifle" and i know very little about them. My question is, since its just gunna be something to plink with at the range what should i buy? Im not LEO... and i dont really get to the range more than once a month anyway, can i go cheap? Do i need to save some more cash and get a NAME BRAND ar? I found this at buds gunshop.com
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/1020/products_id/411537958
Does anybody have any experience with Doublestar products? The reviews say nothing but good things with all the products on the sight i just dont trust that easy.
Any insight would be appreciated MATT </div></div>

For what it's worth Doublestar makes a very good product. They also make high end 1911's that are very well built and reliable. So, you are not purchasing something from a "fly-by-night" corporation. I don't know the exact specs on the model that you are looking at but if you are doing nothing more than plinking and the occasional range trip you will be very happy w/ the Doublstar AR-15 and you can use the extra cash that you saved to purchase an optic, accessories or ammo. I own several AR's to inlcude LMT, Noveske, Colt, DPMS, Olympic Arms, RRA and I have owned serveral others in the past. If you have them all next to each other then you can tell the difference in them. One will have a better fit and finish and one will be a little tighter Upper to Lower fit but they all have funtioned flawlessly and I have never had any problems out of any of mine to include a Model "1" Sales that I had on my registered SBR. As stated above, for plinking and range trips the Doublestar will handle whatever you need it to plus some. Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target07</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im about to buy my first "black rifle" and i know very little about them. My question is, since its just gunna be something to plink with at the range what should i buy? Im not LEO... and i dont really get to the range more than once a month anyway, can i go cheap? Do i need to save some more cash and get a NAME BRAND ar? I found this at buds gunshop.com
Any insight would be appreciated MATT </div></div>

For what it's worth Doublestar makes a very good product. They also make high end 1911's that are very well built and reliable. So, you are not purchasing something from a "fly-by-night" corporation. I don't know the exact specs on the model that you are looking at but if you are doing nothing more than plinking and the occasional range trip you will be very happy w/ the Doublstar AR-15 and you can use the extra cash that you saved to purchase an optic, accessories or ammo. I own several AR's to inlcude LMT, Noveske, Colt, DPMS, Olympic Arms, RRA and I have owned serveral others in the past. If you have them all next to each other then you can tell the difference in them. One will have a better fit and finish and one will be a little tighter Upper to Lower fit but they all have funtioned flawlessly and I have never had any problems out of any of mine to include a Model "1" Sales that I had on my registered SBR. As stated above, for plinking and range trips the Doublestar will handle whatever you need it to plus some. Hope this helps. </div></div>

This man clearly knows AR's. the advise is solid.

The Doublstar is a solid piece, only bad thing is name recognition, that is obvious from some of the posts. Most AR15 brands are buying parts from the same machine shops. therefor the same thing. primary difference it QC and barrel quality. This double star and an RRA are of similar barrel quality. I personally do not like the barrels form CMMG, DPMS or Olympic. Bushmaster has some QC issues of late so skip that brand for the time being.