• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ar 15 pistol muzzle break help

ichigo

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2019
Hello all,

Would like to ask your expert opinion on ar-15 pistol muzzle break. I'm getting ready for black Friday to buy the remaining parts for the ar-15 pistol that I'm planning to build. Right now, I seeing some sale that is going on for VG6 muzzle breaks and would like ask your opinion this is ok. I'm planning to buy a 10.5" barrel (556) for the pistol and a 10" handguard. Most of the pistol with a 10.5 barrel that I see on the internet are either using a KAK flash can or standard bird cage.

The cons that I read for the VG6 is that it's loud on indoor and outdoor on a pistol. I will appreciate your opinion and recommendation on a muzzle break for ar-15.

Thanks

maybe I’m deaf and desensitized but I have a 10.5” pistol with a vg6 brake and I don’t perceive it to be substantially more unpleasant than my 16” with the same brake but I don’t ever shoot indoors

I have no actual measured data other than my perception haha

No gettin' around it, brake on a short AR is loud indoors or out. Soooooo, might as well be that guy and get the loudest, blastiest brake you can find.
Lantac Dragon is annoying as is the Griffin Paladin (might be discontinued). The king though, has to the JP brake (not the recoil eliminator), it is quite irritating but also very effective, to the point of driving the muzzle downwards. The old Surefire two-chamber brake will also drive the muzzle down on a short barrel but may be just a tad bit less loud.

No gettin' around it, brake on a short AR is loud indoors or out. Soooooo, might as well be that guy and get the loudest, blastiest brake you can find.
Lantac Dragon is annoying as is the Griffin Paladin (might be discontinued). The king though, has to the JP brake (not the recoil eliminator), it is quite irritating but also very effective, to the point of driving the muzzle downwards. The old Surefire two-chamber brake will also drive the muzzle down on a short barrel but may be just a tad bit less loud.
Precision Armament M4-72 is pretty high on the obnoxious scale too if thats your thing.

Yeah. Don’t put a brake on that. Do yourself a serious favor.

JP 3 prong flash hider is what I would use. Kills flash really well and doesn’t give you a TBI.

Don’t know how legit this is but it has a chart on page 20 that charts sound pressure level in dba over barrel length in inches

84C57095-53E8-4699-98F1-97F60D49DCBA.png

Reactions: JS8588
Thanks for all the information that you provided. From the chart, the SPL difference between the 10.5" and a regular 16" barrel is not that big. Base from the article, when the length of a becomes shorter the muzzle exit sounds becomes louder (inversely proportion). I don't want to be that person who enters a range and after shooting a few rounds people next to me will start packing up due to the muzzle sound.

I'll probably pick up a 3 prong or a regular bird cage to be on the safe side, since I can't afford those BATFE/NFA controlled muzzle stuff.

Thanks,

The VG6 and almost anything else will be load on a 10” AR indoors and outdoors. I have the silencerco flash hider ASR mount On my 10.3”. Better if I have to shoot it unsuppressed and is also my suppressor Mount.

I'd highly recommend the SLR linear comp. I have it on a 9" 300BO with a 10" hand guard. sticks out 1/2" and you don't have to worry about blowing your fingers off. https://slrrifleworks.com/synergy-linear-hybrid-comp-5-56-223-1-2x28/
1572137605424.png

on the other hand If you want ignorant loud get the Coda Fury. My 16" AR 223 with the Fury is louder then my AR10/308 with the VG6. It's not louder for you the shooter, but people on either side will hate your guts.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
There are a couple manufacturers that make brakes that take a blast diverter that forces sound and blast forward. Surfire warden, strike ind, to name a couple.

Anything with side ports for braking will be loud as fuck.

I've shot plenty of 10.5" and 7.5". The recoil is not an issue. Hiding your flash is far more important. Get an effective flash hider.

Reactions: Spblademaker
I have a VG6 on mine - it's ok. Recoil mitigation is hard to quantify with such a light caliber, but it's louder for sure. One of the guys I shoot with hates standing next to me, and always points out how "polite" his linear brake is. I'll probably go that route in the future.

For what it's worth - I've spent a fair amount of cash trying to save money with sale items - some of it worthwhile, most of it not. Smarter people than me will tell you to keep saving and get the stuff you know you really want and what works the best for the application, not what you can afford right now. Wish I had taken more of that advice. Just my two cents.