• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar-15 question on brand selection

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
Hey everyone im looking to purchase an ar-15 and also an ar-10 upper eventually what brands are very well made and are very highly talked about im new to the semi auto guns so anyone that can give there 2 cents would be great thanks guys

Re: Ar-15 question on brand selection

I would have to say that you can't go wrong with Rock River Arms. Everything they do is really awesome for a production rifle. For your AR-10 needs, get with GA Precision. As I have yet to hear anything bad about them.

get the NM trigger and you won't be dissapointed. it's my fav on any semi auto rifle.

i dont not know if you are aware of it but an ar10 upper will not fit onto a standard ar15 lower. if you are looking at a production ar then i would say RRA but id suggest building one yourself. you get exactly what you want plus to experience of doing it

I don't think there is a hill of beans in difference in the lowers. Put a good parts kit and trigger in, and you are good to go.

This list might be a little dated, but you get the idea. You pay extra for the name even though its the same thing. But, when you sell, certain ones are wanted more even though they are the same.

Here is a list of who makes which lowers:

Lewis Machine & Tool

LMT
Lauer
DS Arms
PWA
Eagle
Armalite
Knights Armament
Barrett

Continental Machine Tool

Stag
Rock River Arms
High Standard
Noveske
Century (New)
Global Tactical
CLE
S&W
MGI
Wilson Tactical
Grenadier Precision
Colt

LAR Manufacturing

LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec
DPMS
CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical

JVP

Double Star
LRB
Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop

Mega
GSE
Dalphon
POF
Alexander Arms

Olympic

Olympic
SGW
Tromix
Palmetto
Dalphon
Frankford
Century (Old)

Superior

Superior Arms
Lauer (New)

If you can stretch to it I'd go with Noveske or Daniel Defence - excellent quality as reflected in the price!

LMT's and KAC's are the best Ive found with Colt and BCM rounding out my choices.

Look at the LMT MRP and KAC SR 15s...kinda pricey but well worth it imho.

Colt, Noveske, LMT, Knight, Bravo Company, Daniel Def., if you are wanting one of the top of the food chain rifles. IMHO RRA doesnt' compare though they likely would work fine for the occasional range use target/plinker, I don't know how much I'd trust my life on them as they just aren't tested to mil-spec or beyond standards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colt, Noveske, LMT, Knight, Bravo Company, Daniel Def., if you are wanting one of the top of the food chain rifles. IMHO RRA doesnt' compare though they likely would work fine for the occasional range use target/plinker, I don't know how much I'd trust my life on them as they just aren't tested to mil-spec or beyond standards. </div></div>

+1 but for the difference in price I'd go with the Colt 6920 over the others mentioned.

I'd likely go LMT first followed very close by Colt. I'm just a tight wad.

THE best value in serious AR weapons is BCM. If you just want a plinker, any manufacturer will do. If you think you would ever have to bet your life, or someboy else's, on it, BCM is tough to beat.

JD Machine tech lower and either noveske, Daniels Defense or LMT. these are all great quality uppers. I can get deals on some of these. Let me know and i can see what the prices are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colt, Noveske, LMT, Knight, Bravo Company, Daniel Def., if you are wanting one of the top of the food chain rifles. IMHO RRA doesnt' compare though they likely would work fine for the occasional range use target/plinker, I don't know how much I'd trust my life on them as they just aren't tested to mil-spec or beyond standards.</div></div>

and where do you get this info?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=20
go read the article about the department of justice test and requirements then get back with us

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KenO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think there is a hill of beans in difference in the lowers. Put a good parts kit and trigger in, and you are good to go.
</div></div>

I've had some very sloppy lowers that had insane upper to lower rattle and lowers that were too tight for some mags.

-Bushmaster was too tight of magwell. Mega was too tight of magwell.

-Sundevil billet lower was all sloppy upper to lower fit on all my uppers.

-One Tactical Innovations lower I have is INSANELY sloppy upper to lower fit. I needed to put o-ring around the front lug and tighten the rear lug setscrew to get some semblance of "fit" between the receivers. (Really disappointing.)

Because of this, I'm pretty soured on billet lowers. Not sure why I had that bad luck with them.

Recently I got a Tactical Machining lower that fit great on a bravo company upper. I really like it.

I have a CMMG lower that was cheap as hell that fits and works fine.

Upper to lower fit is purely a cosmetic issue though, just like not every receiver will be finished the same and the color may be slightly off. That being said I like Daniel Defense and Bravo Company.

I disagree.

A certain looseness is acceptable, but a massively sloppy fit just isn't good for a stable shooting platform.

A good upper to lower fit makes the whole platform FEEL better. It's ergonomics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go JWB, follow the link and learn a bit.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA#gid=2 </div></div>

Tbag,
If you really think that chart is a direct reflection on actual reliability and quality then you are drinking too much Kool-aid and are not taking the time to think about that chart in a critical way.
Also, to say that any reputable AR (let alone RRA) is only suitable for occasional plinking or range work is vastly overstating the differences in quality between the various AR products out there.

I had a Knights SR15 Match and currently keep a bastard build in the corner back at the house. It's built off of an LRB lower and a complete Colt 20" A2 upper with a mix of internal parts.

I recommend buying a match set upper / lower from one place and build away to your hearts content. Look, search and read all you can and then have at it. The options are endless regarding AR15s.

The list of makers back up the thread is a good list.

If you want to buy a complete rig for a fair price, I'd put money down on an LMT. But that's just me. It all depends on what you're doing with the rifle, what expectation you have, or budget you're playing with.

Like I said, the sky truly is the limit with AR's.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go JWB, follow the link and learn a bit.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA#gid=2 </div></div>

Tbag,
If you really think that chart is a direct reflection on actual reliability and quality then you are drinking too much Kool-aid and are not taking the time to think about that chart in a critical way.
Also, to say that any reputable AR (let alone RRA) is only suitable for occasional plinking or range work is vastly overstating the differences in quality between the various AR products out there. </div></div>

Sorry if you are mis-informed or purchased wrongly. I never stated anything about reliabilty or quality and you can assume they are all the same if you wish. But RRA doesn't test their equipment like some of the other companies.

If the OP wants a quality mil-spec tested rifle it would serve him well to do his homework. Just cause they look similar doesn't mean that they are the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go JWB, follow the link and learn a bit.

Tbag,
Also, to say that any reputable AR (let alone RRA) is only suitable for occasional plinking or range work is vastly overstating the differences in quality between the various AR products out there. </div></div>

Sorry if you are mis-informed or purchased wrongly. I never stated anything about reliabilty or quality and you can assume they are all the same if you wish. But RRA doesn't test their equipment like some of the other companies.

If the OP wants a quality mil-spec tested rifle it would serve him well to do his homework. Just cause they look similar doesn't mean that they are the same.
</div></div>

chuckles.

For those that say RRA does not test their rifles, you should come to CMP Week at the national matches. They sell off hundreds of thousands of pieces of once fired brass. They have Wilson barrel boxes full of the stuff they bring out by the pallet on a fork truck.

I guess they just buy the stuff or pick it up at the range to sell once a year at CP, not fire it out of their rifles.

My local dealer/FFL/gunsmith is a stocking RRA dealer and orders a lot of complete rifles for customers. In the 7 years I have been affiliated with them, I know of not one RRA function issue that has been associated with rifles that have gone through his shop. This includes 4 of the 308s, which have been 100% reliable right out of the box.

I guess I don't hang out enough on barf.com to know the difference between these rifles and all the esoteric brands.

Oh and Colt at or near the top of the list? LAUGH.

I would read through THIS first, it's very long but it tells you what to look for and goes through some major brands and says what they do and don't do.

A question on the manufacturer's list above...Is that a list of who provides the raw forgings for each company? I'm asking because Shooting Gallery ran a show recently covering Stag Arms, and they were machining their receivers in-house, from raw forgings, but I don't know where the forgings were coming from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sierra2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A question on the manufacturer's list above...Is that a list of who provides the raw forgings for each company? I'm asking because Shooting Gallery ran a show recently covering Stag Arms, and they were machining their receivers in-house, from raw forgings, but I don't know where the forgings were coming from.

</div></div>

Stag would likely get them from their parent company CMT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those that say RRA does not test their rifles, you should come to CMP Week at the national matches. They sell off hundreds of thousands of pieces of once fired brass. They have Wilson barrel boxes full of the stuff they bring out by the pallet on a fork truck.

I guess they just buy the stuff or pick it up at the range to sell once a year at CP, not fire it out of their rifles.

My local dealer/FFL/gunsmith is a stocking RRA dealer and orders a lot of complete rifles for customers. In the 7 years I have been affiliated with them, I know of not one RRA function issue that has been associated with rifles that have gone through his shop. This includes 4 of the 308s, which have been 100% reliable right out of the box.

I guess I don't hang out enough on barf.com to know the difference between these rifles and all the esoteric brands.

Oh and Colt at or near the top of the list? LAUGH.

</div></div>A local gunsmith in my area decided to get on the RRA bandwagon here in CA since it's one of the few we can have legally. He sent two of the first five back for mechanical failures and had nothing but trouble getting stisfaction from RRA. That put an end to that. I wouldn't own one.
JMO

I have had 6 RRA in the 15 platform. All shot very well. Better than the 3/4 MOA guarantee they have on their rifles (with handloads). I have had yet to have any feed/fire/extraction issues not related to ammunition. Shot over 1k rounds on a prarie dog shoot, without so much as a patch down the barrel, no issues. Which is more than I can say for a few DPMS owners I know. Not trying to paint with too broad of a brush here, I know alot of people here love the DPMS'. This is my experience I have had with my buddies, and my own rifles.

I would say they have some of the best 2 stage triggers out there in that price point.

Fit and finish is superior to many of the DPMS, and bushmaster rifles I have laid my hands on. No accuwedge needed. That being said, some people bitch about how tight the upper/lower fit is, and don't like it. I tend to prefer it.

I will say, one of my FFL guys did have some order issues with RRA on one of the last large orders he did. But all turned out well, and only took a phone call to straighten it out.

ETA: There is no REAL big difference in brands. It's all the little things that add up (quality & price). Whatever you choose, it should be more than adequate for a first AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
...There is no REAL big difference in brands. It's all the little things that add up (quality & price)...</div></div>

Some would say that quality and price are a big difference, but there are the smaller, "voodoo", that people buy into. Whether or not these things are crucial is up to the buyer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
...Whatever you choose, it should be more than adequate for a first AR. </div></div>

Agreed.

This gets discussed (argued about) a lot and IMO its best to limit replys to personal experience which I think most here do. In my experience, almost all the "quality" AR's I,ve shot were very reliable and I would feel comfortable with them in a self def. role. The vast majority of the issues encountered are mag or ammo related. My three Armalites (two AR10's and one M15) are completely reliable, I trust them to fire every time the trigger's pulled. Fit and finish is excellent and there is no upper to lower slop, I cant stand it and wont buy a rifle that has it wether it hurts or not. I've never been in a life or death situation with them but my friends that have concider them very good quality and say they would trust them, cant ask for more than that. My next AR will probably be another Armalite or LMT. Once again, this is JMO based on personal experience and I have certainly NOT experienced all the AR's on the market.

okie

Only a couple places do the forging. Then the list breaks out the several that do most of the machining for everyone else.

For a first AR I would buy the cheapest big name brand that my local shop had with the features I felt I wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go JWB, follow the link and learn a bit.

so what was I suppose to learn? I started shooting ar 15's in 1975. I prefer to go with personal hands on experience . just a safety reminder you know what happens to large groups of people who drink cool aid. I would refer you to the jones cult in guyana.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwb47</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go JWB, follow the link and learn a bit.

so what was I suppose to learn? </div></div>

That there may actually be difference's in the way companies produce and test their products before they may get into someone's hands. What ever floats you J.Jones, but you seem a bit angry tonight.

To the original poster be informed as possible and buy it right once there are many good choices available in todays market.

I've discussed this topic with many folks and seem at get different opinions everytime, its just a matter of preferance. I have an armalite ar15 and never had an issues. But I think for a first AR, any of the big brands would work just fine.

If you want TOP quality and a true custom look you got check out Black Rain Ordance or BRO their upper and lowers are second to none!

Link to BRO

Cheers!

Rooter

I have some higher end AR's and I have a RRA in .223 It has always run well and I feel 100% confident picking it up if necessary. I only have experience with the one I own so I wouldn't consider that much of a sampling. I will say I use it as my "beater" (if you can call a 1000+ dollar gun a beater)so while I use all my stuff it sees the most banging in the truck or mule and the most abuse and has done well.