• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR-15 scope bases?

jester5900

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2009
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Hey guys looking to find out what the lowest ring profile option is for ar-15. Not looking to take scope on and off and dont need extra rails for other options.

Thanks,

Re: AR-15 scope bases?

Nightforce unimount and Larue SPR-S.

Really I think that your limitations will totally be dictated by what optic choice you use. Depending on factors like eye relief, ocular bell housing diameter and objective bell diameter.

Go with this, the Bad Ord 22MOA base for the AR-15/10

Then any low rings that you want.

The advantage is this, if you get a bolt gun, or have one now, you can take the optic off by the low rings, and mount them up on the bolt gun's base and never take them out of the rings.

Now you have a swap back and forth option.

John

How low do you want to go? With the straight line stock, a low mounted scope may cause you some issues with getting your head low enough. I've had good luck with Warne rings. You can get them in just about any height, including ones specific to the AR Platform. You can get them with or without the QD feature.

USO Posa Slide and Lock MkIII Kicks Much Ass!

M4gery.jpg

Switchy's got the correct answer to the OP's question. While LaRue is a great product, they are too high for some folks' (myself included) tastes.
USO mounts=1.2" rail to centerline
LaRue LT104=1.5"

When I get behind a LaRue with my eyes closed, assume my position and open my eyes I'm looking at the bottom of the eyepiece. When I do the same with a USO Posi, I open my eyes to a centered sight picture.