• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 sight question

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I really feel stupid asking this but RRA offers the option of a flip front sight or a removable sight. Does that mean that the flip one is not removable.

Re: AR-15 sight question

I would assume so. My LWRC M6A3 has a flip up front sight that is non-removable while the rear sight is a troy BUIS. However, ive never seen an RRA flip up sight... my 2 cents

Looking at their website, the Flip up front sight is integrated into the gas block. So for all practical purposes, its not removable.

Monty

It shouldn't be. Lots of people use scopes with fixed front sight posts with out issue. So, I don't see why a flip up would be an issue?

The fixed front sight base is not an issue when the scope is focused at such a distance the sight base is so out of focus it appears to have disappeared.

many use a flip front sight that actually clamps to the barrel and serves as a functioning gas block just as the original type tower. others put picatinney rail up there and make a detachable front flip sight that gets screwed into place.
either of these work fine however i usually shy from the clamp onto the barrel type due to my feeling that they create another unnecessary rifle fail point if the sight theoretically were hit hard enuf to move the gas port out of alignment, since these type are not pinned like a tower but simply clamped in place by hex screws.
incidentally the same reason i prefer solid stocks to collapsibles that are all the rage but i digress.
as for flip sights being necessary...id say yes if you will be using any low mounted low powerish optic where seeing the front sight will be distracting. many run a standard front tower with higher power level optics just fine because the sight gets blurred out of percievable existence, however even this leaves me wondering if thats actually creating a visual blindspot that we just cant easily notice.

I ordered the removable front sight. I may have made a mistake but the rifle will have a scope on it. The open sights will more than likely never be used.

I own a RRA with a front flip up sight. The sight is integrated with the gas block and cannot be removed without also removing the gas block. As stated earlier, the gas block is not pinned to the receiver, but rather is clamped on with screws. The flip up front sight will not obstruct any optics because when it folds down, it folds below the profile of the rail, so as you are looking down the rail, all you see is flat top when the front sight is folded down. Hope this helps!