• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 sling

joelinux

hed weezul
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019
So, I was told it was ok to post in here about ar-15 builds. If it isn't, tell me so, and I'll f*ck off to calguns with this question.

I've pretty much decided on my build, but I realized the one thing I haven't decided on was a sling.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it would appear that a two point sling is the most popular, owing to it's versatility.

It would also appear that the quick disconnect system is also the way to go.

Are those good assumptions? What else should I be aware of? Any brands that are known as good? Known as bad? Any item that is overwhelmingly popular/good?

And preemptively, go f*ck yourself, @seansmd

Tab Gear Carbine sling w/ QDs is where it’s at man. I run one on my LMT and it’s nice man. Quickly adjusts, no padding (not needed on an AR sling anyways), just the right about of bungee, and is durable.

I run a Magpul MS1 and an Enhanced SS Loophole sling on my two bolt guns, but hands down, that TAB gear sling is perfect for carbine use. If you can only budget for one sling and want to run it between a bolt gun and a gas gun, I’d go Magpul MS1.

Also, depending on your carbine, the whole 1pt/2pt “problem” can be solved with a well placed QD socket, if you don’t already have em. Need to run as a 2pt, connect it in place A. Need to run as a 1pt, connect at place B. This can also be accomplished with one of the Magpul MS variants. If you do go Magpul MS-series, make sure you get the “newer” model with the adjustment slider and not the old school loop. You’ll love that slider for fast adjustments.

Still, TAB carbine sling would get my money in a split second if I had to buy another carbine-specific sling.

?

Honestly, the VTAC sling is hard to beat for a two point. Definitely get QD flushcups for mounting.

Having said that, it's limitations become more apparent if you start trying to do weak sides shooting and transitions. It's easy to get tangled up.

That's where a single point sling shines.

Or get the best of both worlds with a Magpul ms3? Or ms4 where you can use it for two point across your back or for 'patrol carry' but can easily clip it into itself and turn it into a single point if you may need to transition to your weak side.

It's also easier to drop it and have it swing off to your weak side clear of your strong side if the rifle jams and you transition to pistol with a single point.

SavvySniper QUAD sling. Adjustment is one-finger simple, it’s comfortable, convertible 1-2pt (if you can’t make up your mind or don’t know what you want/like yet), and if you don’t buy the AustriAlpin Cobra buckle version it’s affordable ($85 for dual-QD, $60 for HK hooks, up to over $130 with the Cobras).

Company owner is a former-LEO/SWAT, and he makes a quality product. Had one on my duty rifle for over 7 years and it’s great.

Vtac and tab are my favorites. I really like my vtacs for all around use. Love how quickly I can adjust the length as needed

I also agree with @M8541Reaper padding is not needed on a carbine sling. Qd is the only way to go

I love my VTAC. So easy to adjust. I especially love it for hunting when the sling ends up being used in all sorts of ways to build stable positions.

It’s also super strong. Just last week I used it to drag a ~250 pound hog ~150 yards.

Reactions: TACC
VTAC, Blue Force, Vickers, all good ones --I like the slider on those.

I also like a plain silent sling modified with an M14 adj. keeper to make a poor man's shooting sling. Cheap, quiet, light and effective.

I also keep a leather shooting sling around. Nice thing about these QD socket attachments is that you can swap slings as need be.

VCAS

The magpul is very versatile but I always had problems with the quick slide buckle losing adjustment. Might have to try the TAB though after all these comments.

Last edited:
I've always had the best results with the VICKERS Blue Force slings. They are super easy to adjust and nothing to get tangled up in gear (unlike the VTAC). If you intend to be carrying your AR for longish periods of time the padded sling is the better option. You can cynch it in to your body nice and tight and then quickly open it back up, etc.

Another vote for VTAC. Customizable length, padded or non padded, plastic or metal tri-glides, easy to adjust. I’ve never had a need for a single point, so not an issue there. Much better than standard hunting slings in that application.

This could be a dumb question, but a few of you have used the phrase, "carbine". Is that in place of AR-15s in general, or are you referencing carbine length AR-15s specifically?

I ask because my rifle will be mid-length.

This could be a dumb question, but a few of you have used the phrase, "carbine". Is that in place of AR-15s in general, or are you referencing carbine length AR-15s specifically?

Yep, just another word for it. Some say AR-15, AR, 556 gas gun, carbine, peasant gun, weapon of war, assault rifle, M4, the loud thing that shoots the little things, etc. ?

Ok, So, VTAC it is, I'm thinking...

I'm looking at this page:

And, I realize that some of it comes to personal preference, but, here is my thinking, along with questions:

Original: Not likely.
Bungee Sling: Please help. What are the advantages of this?
Bow Sling: Might be useful in terms of converting to single point, should I decide to try it?
Wide (Padded): a candidate due to comfort
No padding with metal buckle: I think padding is a must?
Wide Padded with metal buckle: What does the metal buckle allow for?
Ultra light hunting sling: Not going to be using this thing for hunting, and the weight savings would be minimal. Not a likely candidate.
Ultra light with plastic buckle: same
Ultra light with metal buckle: same
Convertable to backpack sling: possibility. It looks like an "African Carry", if I'm reading that picture right.
Cuff Assembly: Would allow for better "Hasty sling", and front runner.

Can you advise if I'm not reading the situation right, or if there are benefits I'm not seeing?

Ok, So, VTAC it is, I'm thinking...

I'm looking at this page:

And, I realize that some of it comes to personal preference, but, here is my thinking, along with questions:

Original: Not likely.
Bungee Sling: Please help. What are the advantages of this?
Bow Sling: Might be useful in terms of converting to single point, should I decide to try it?
Wide (Padded): a candidate due to comfort
No padding with metal buckle: I think padding is a must?
Wide Padded with metal buckle: What does the metal buckle allow for?
Ultra light hunting sling: Not going to be using this thing for hunting, and the weight savings would be minimal. Not a likely candidate.
Ultra light with plastic buckle: same
Ultra light with metal buckle: same
Convertable to backpack sling: possibility. It looks like an "African Carry", if I'm reading that picture right.
Cuff Assembly: Would allow for better "Hasty sling", and front runner.

Can you advise if I'm not reading the situation right, or if there are benefits I'm not seeing?

Did you watch the product video(s) on the VTAC website/youtube? Kyle Lamb generally does a good job of explaining his stuff.

It’s also super strong. Just last week I used it to drag a ~250 pound hog ~150 yards.
:oops: That's quite the testimonial.
I also like a plain silent sling...
What about a sling makes it "silent"?

And, upon re-reading, I'm going to throw out padding as a must. However, can someone explain to me why padding is not needed? It seems with long-term carrying, that would reduce wear and tear on a shoulder.

A little background: I'm not getting this for any real hunting/sporting/shooting necessarily. I'm getting this because Beto said he was going to take them away. As soon as he said that, I got all "Eye of the Molon Labe", and decided I needed to have more than an RPR and H&K .45. So, I'm building my AR-15, and getting a Mossberg 590a1.

I'm mostly going to keep this in storage, and pull it out only if the Chinese ever invade. Or the Russians. Or if those Papua New Guinea people decide they want Santa Barbara. In any case, I'm going to be learning to use this thing tactically, which means I want equipment that can be used for extended wear, tear, and carry.

Given those requirements, does padded make more sense?

I can watch the video in a little bit. Work and all.

What about a sling makes it "silent"?

And, upon re-reading, I'm going to throw out padding as a must. However, can someone explain to me why padding is not needed? It seems with long-term carrying, that would reduce wear and tear on a shoulder.

A little background: I'm not getting this for any real hunting/sporting/shooting necessarily. I'm getting this because Beto said he was going to take them away. As soon as he said that, I got all "Eye of the Molon Labe", and decided I needed to have more than an RPR and H&K .45. So, I'm building my AR-15, and getting a Mossberg 590a1.

I'm mostly going to keep this in storage, and pull it out only if the Chinese ever invade. Or the Russians. Or if those Papua New Guinea people decide they want Santa Barbara. In any case, I'm going to be learning to use this thing tactically, which means I want equipment that can be used for extended wear, tear, and carry.

Given those requirements, does padded make more sense?

I can watch the video in a little bit. Work and all.

My opinion:
Padding isn’t needed on a carbine sling.

That being said, I’m not Johnny Mall ninja with 3 lights, 2 lasers, 3 grips, 4 optics, and two bipods on my rifle. Ive never come across a system, except for beltfeds lol, that required a padded sling during extended use.

As for the bungee, you don’t want the entire sling as bungee, you just want a small section of it, like how TAB did it. Old school one points were a lot like that. All bungee. It has its place I guess but I don’t prefer it on a rifle. A section of bungee will keep it sucked to you when you need it out of the way, while still remaining flexible. If you’re aiming in and want that extra squeeze that will flow with you between positions (moving from standing to kneeling to prone), then the bungee is nice.

Put up a WTB ad (on here, ARF, TacSwap) for some different slings and buy used. You’ll save a bit of money, get to try out various types, and see what works best for you. Sell the ones you don’t like at a decent price and you’ll either brake even or MAYBE be out 10 or 20 bucks, which you can write off as a “rental” fee lol. I would say go to a local gun shop and try some but I’ve never been to a LGS that has ever carried anything of quality.

Reactions: Kamerad
DF6B2432-0B72-494D-A01C-FEC01EF4469F.jpeg

The only amount of bungee a carbine sling needs lol.

Reactions: RS14

Here's the event in question...perspective is off though, makes my hand look bigger than the hog. That thing is as big as me (I'm 6'4").

1571960905718.png

I have the the VIKING TACTICS MK2 WITH CUFF ASSEMBLY (although I haven't really used the cuff much).

Here's the event in question...perspective is off though, makes my hand look bigger than the hog. That thing is as big as me (I'm 6'4").

View attachment 7170386

I have the the VIKING TACTICS MK2 WITH CUFF ASSEMBLY (although I haven't really used the cuff much).
You know what they say about a man with big hands...

Big gloves

another one for VTAC. EDIT: I think what I have is a VCAS ? looks like BFG doesnt even list a VTAC anymore.

The magpul is very versatile but I always had problems with the quick slide buckle losing adjustment. Might have to try the TAB though after all these comments.
VTAC is Viking Tactics. VCAS is Vickers Combat Application Sling, that's what you're gonna find at BFG...

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
Love my VTAC. Its an old school gen 1 that was bought so long ago that i had to mail them a check because they were so new that they werent set up for CCs yet. They sent the sling out before my check even got to them. Great CS! Has always worked flawlessly.

+1 on VTAC.

Been using one-point slings for 11 years work and personal AR platforms. Just switched over to VTAC two-point because of a recent job change: slicker than snot on a doorknob. Great piece of kit and I'll never go back to single point.

Padded vtac with QD swivels. I use it on my carbine and bolt gun. I’ve tried several other more expensive slings and keep coming back to the vtac.

The unpadded version is ok but that padding is nice on a heavier bolt gun or when you are putting in miles with your rifle slung.

Reactions: rob.sfo
+1 on VTAC.

Been using one-point slings for 11 years work and personal AR platforms. Just switched over to VTAC two-point because of a recent job change: slicker than snot on a doorknob. Great piece of kit and I'll never go back to single point.
Why does "job change" scare me most in that sentence?

• Haha
Reactions: clcustom1911

"Carbine" in the context of the overall rifle typically refers to the 16" barrel length AR15 rifle. Within the carbine realm, you have different length gas systems, etc.

Example: My lightweight carbine has a mid-lenght gas system as well and has a softer recoil impulse than my than my others with carbine-length gas systems.

Reference my "recent job change", I've been paid to be proficient (though I am better than proficient) with firearms for the last 16 years. Soak in this forum like a dry sponge as it is an invaluable resource (especially the Bear Pit)

Buy more ammo.

Reactions: JOS and AMGtuned
VCAS...all the way, your best of both worlds sling, fantastically functional, well engineered.

So, I was told it was ok to post in here about ar-15 builds. If it isn't, tell me so, and I'll f*ck off to calguns with this question.
Don't ask over there, and I am saying that as a Calguns member. Iv'e forgotten more things about AR's than the combined knowledge about them over there. I use the VICKERS Blue Force padded for LE duty use and just general use. Nothing to get in the way and no issues with adjustments. I am in and around SB for work and sometimes goto Winchester gun range. You are more than welcome to try mine sometime. (said in a non-gay way) ;)

• Love
Reactions: clcustom1911
My favorite by far is still the wide padded VTAC... perfect for a day-long 2-gun match when your rifle will be hanging on retention for any length of time. The pad doesn't add a lot of weight or bulk and the comfort difference is very notable, especially when you have a heavy-ass LPVO, weaponlight, etc.

Stay from anything that isn't a quick-adjust 2-point! Stay away from bungees, they're dumb as hell. Also if you want to be up to date, stay from HK hooks or anything of that nature.
There is zero reason to use anything other than QD swivels nowadays. One on the buttstock, one near the slip ring/barrel nut, and one near the end of the rail.
Vickers slings are good but I prefer the adjustability of the VTAC.

Slings are just about as personal and specific as anything else, like rear support bags. I personally like a plain non padded Vickers sling over the VTAC because: It’s more simple. I like the materials used better, and no loose tail swinging around.

And for some unknown reason, I just can’t get down with QD sockets like the rest of the world. On my carbine, I have the stock end looped through the stock and a Blue Force Gear wire loop up on the rail. I like it better this way. Don’t ask me why.

The VTAC is a poor choice. You have a piece of cloth swinging around and it's just stupid.

The Vickers sling is the way to go.

Great thread and I like the VTAC concept ...

question, I have a side charger AR10 and was wondering if the two point carry is going to have the charging handle dig into my chest?

Great thread and I like the VTAC concept ...

question, I have a side charger AR10 and was wondering if the two point carry is going to have the charging handle dig into my chest?
I have a question about AR-10s...is there no standard as to where the charging handle is/was? I've seen them to the side, in the carry handle, and one time in the back. Is there a standard at all?

Bfg and edgar Sherman with both qd attachments is what im running. Im also not lugging the rifle aroundnfor long periods od time or wearing kit which would create snag possibilities

SavvySniper QUAD sling. Adjustment is one-finger simple, it’s comfortable, convertible 1-2pt (if you can’t make up your mind or don’t know what you want/like yet), and if you don’t buy the AustriAlpin Cobra buckle version it’s affordable ($85 for dual-QD, $60 for HK hooks, up to over $130 with the Cobras).

Company owner is a former-LEO/SWAT, and he makes a quality product. Had one on my duty rifle for over 7 years and it’s great.

I run a Savy Sniper as well. They will make you a customized sling, if needed. I needed a convertible 2-point to 1-point bungee sling with an HK hook in the front and a QD attachment in the back. They made it for me and it works great with my VZ-58

I have a vtac I've had a few years and love it, I have the qd cups mounted on the handguard of all my ar's and all my stocks/braces have cups in them. I also use the same sling for carrying my bergara around too.

I like the ferro concepts slingster. The padding isn’t overly thick which I like and can also be moved around a bit to your preference. The pull tab for adjusting the length is quick and stays in place. The only thing some people may not like is the metal triglide, it will hit your rifle and make noise or scratch it.

Agreed on the ferro and have had the triglid scuff up a spot on one rifle but it works really well and as mentioned has just the right amount of padding. As well, it may be sacrilegious to do so but you can configure to be a great 'traditional' 2pt hunting sling with the pad toward the barrel too. I happened to lose a quake claw somewhere and had an extra ferro laying around and gave it a try and actually like it alot on one of my traditional hunting rifles carried barrel up.

Didn’t expect to see so many people recommending the VTAC sling...maybe i need to give it a try. I really like my Magpul but you can never have too many options.