• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ar-15 Variant

woodsrunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2010
Butler, Pa
I was looking into an Ar-10, and I've gotten distracted by Ar-15 variants. The 6.8 has specifically caught my attention due to the fact I've heard the 6.5 Grendel is very touchy. I would like it to be accurate for 300 and beyond that is a good bonus. I want to have no problems taking down a deer at 300 yards, I'm thinking at least a 100 grain bullet. Do you have suggestions on either caliber and where should I look at getting barrels? Price is semi important here. All help is appreciated.

Re: Ar-15 Variant

From what I've read and comparing ballistic charts, 300 meters is at the outside edge of the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel ballistic capabilities to have enough energy to humanely kill a deer.

That said, Mark LaRue shot an elk at 405 yards with a 6.5 Grendel. American Safari link

The new Barnes 95 grain TTSX was specifically designed for the 6.8 SPC and is working well on deer and hogs. Check 68Forums.com for more info.

You might look into the .30 RAR. It is a .450 Bushmaster case necked down to .30 caliber. I cannot comment on the ballistics, but here's a link.

Re: Ar-15 Variant

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info and the links 244 </div></div>

You are welcome. You should browse HERE to get more info on the available configurations for the 6.8. The owner did a lot of testing to squeeze additional performance from the 6.8.

Also keep in mind that the .264 Les Baer (LBC) is almost identical to the 6.5 Grendel. You may find more barrel and ammunition choices.