• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15

COASTIE.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2010
seattle wa
Good afternoon gentlemen, so last July my wife gave me the go ahead to put a little aside for my first personal AR, planing on a portion of our 2012 tax return to put me were i needed to be to get a good starting platform. But do to the current events and past tragedy, I didn't plan on putting almost double down for one. I was wondering if any buddy new if it is going to settle down or if or were one could reasonably be acquired. I'm current stationed in Seattle WA, and having a hard time with local gun shops. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
V/R Mike

Re: AR 15

Yep...incredibly bad timing.

The short answer to your question is that nobody knows what may be on the horizon. Sure, there are arguments that there will/will not be a new AWB, etc., but only the good Lord truly knows at this point in time.

Rainier is a good suggestion, but I can tell you now that they have very little in stock and at last check earlier this morning for someone else, they had NO COMPLETE ARs available (10a eastern time today). Regardless, if you have the time to get down there, it would be well worth the ~45min drive. If not...talk is cheap. Try raising them by phone or e-mail with what you are wanting and see what they can do for you.

Also, what sort of budget (total) do you have at this point? You said you had enough to get a good starting platform, but what exactly are you looking for and what are you wanting to spend (max)?

ORD- I've have around 1200 with a little wiggle room for a budget, this was made before the prices were through the ruff. I know this is a long shot, but the military has gave me great patience. And the timing of my first personal AR was not good. LOL

TOMF- I have tried Rainier Arms in Auburn and like every one else gone. So the search continues.

Check out Mike at controlled chaos arms. He puts out top notch stuff that will fit your budget.

Have you thought of building you own. I only know of one place right now to get lowers. Their not cheap for sure, but you could piece meal this thing together and get it exactly as you want it. Surplus Ammo has lowers and their in Tacoma, WA. Just a thought. Build your lower and than build your upper over time.

Hey. By "stationed" I take it to mean that you're serving in the Armed Forces.

I'm actually building an AR-15 together for a friend in nearly the exact same position as you.

If you're buying, your best bet at this point is to purchase a boutique AR-15 from a reputable builder. Large to medium size builders (Larue, Daniel Defense, BCM, even Noveske) are clogged up with insane backlogs. There are constantly new developments in ARs however and manufacturers are announcing new products constantly. For instance, you can order a Legion Firearms 7.62 semi-auto and expect it to be delivered within 20 weeks: http://store.legionfirearms.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1814

If you're building, your first challenge is going to be not getting absolutely raped on the cost of the lower ($400 panic price), bolt carrier group (insanity - about $300 - $450 panic prices) and lower parts kit (again insane - $150 - $200 without trigger). For some reason, these are the hardest pieces to acquire. I've been looking pretty regularly at ARF, M4carbine and of course SH for these pieces and they go fast for ridiculous prices. $800 for a stripped lower with a highly desirable rollmark (e.g. Colt, Noveske) is not unusual.

Keep an eye out on manufacturers of lower receivers. Aero Precision, for instance, which does manufacturing for Armalite, just did a run of stripped AR lowers. They sold out within a day, of course, but for that day, you could get a stripped lower for $200. Armalite will also sell all the parts you need for a complete lower build. You probably have a replacement kit somewhere for your issue M4 from which you can cannibalize springs and detent pieces.

Upper receivers are rarer but still available for decent prices. Barrels, too, though the very high end (Noveske, Shilen, KAC, WOA, BCM hammer forged, Krieger) are enjoying slightly higher premiums if anything.

Don't buy a used AR. Every asshole with a rusted up Oly Arms in their closet is CLP'ing his poor old rifle up and attempting to sell it for five grand with a some mall ninja Magpul crap on it.

Trade your mags. They hand you mags like candy. In the world, a $50 30-round mag is "normal" today.

edit: oh, and also, thanks for your service

Here. This is a polymer (!!!) lower that you could get started on:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ati-omni-stripped-lower-receiver.html

Normally this is the type of thing that AR nerds like me might sneer at but these are strange times indeed. If you are looking for a lifetime rifle you should hold out for a good forged or billet lower around $200 though, be advised.

Mike,

Quantico Tactical has your back. They rep S&W, and they are selling basic M&P-15 ($880 or so) with extra $100 off for military. That makes it $780. AWESOME! They have a few more models for a bit more money. Choices!

ETA: They said the orders are prioritized, and they expect delivery within about 4 weeks.

They did say 1 rifle limit at that price, and they reserve the right to jack up the price on the second rifle.

You can't beat it. Here's the arfcom link:
Quantico Tactical - LE/Mil M&P-15 deal advertised at AR15.com

Today I got their e-mail about LE/mil only orders for the M&P-10 ($1650). No advertisement for extra $100 off on that model.

http://www.quanticotactical.com/mp10.asp

I have no involvement whatsoever with S&W, Quantico, etc.

It might be worth just keeping the money in a savings account for now either the ban will pass and its going to be ridiculous or it wont pass the buying panic will go away and you will see guys trying to unload the dozens of lowers they bought expecting to make millions when they were grandfathered. I would definitely expect to see sales at decent prices once things settle down its just going to take time. And from one coastie to another good to see you here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be worth just keeping the money in a savings account for now either the ban will pass and its going to be ridiculous or it wont pass the buying panic will go away and you will see guys trying to unload the dozens of lowers they bought expecting to make millions when they were grandfathered. I would definitely expect to see sales at decent prices once things settle down its just going to take time. And from one coastie to another good to see you here. </div></div>

May have a long wait as this Prez has got 4 more years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Function Over Form</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

Quantico Tactical has your back. They rep S&W, and they are selling basic M&P-15 ($880 or so) with extra $100 off for military. That makes it $780. AWESOME! They have a few more models for a bit more money. Choices!

ETA: They said the orders are prioritized, and they expect delivery within about 4 weeks.

They did say 1 rifle limit at that price, and they reserve the right to jack up the price on the second rifle.

You can't beat it. Here's the arfcom link:
Quantico Tactical - LE/Mil M&P-15 deal advertised at AR15.com

Today I got their e-mail about LE/mil only orders for the M&P-10 ($1650). No advertisement for extra $100 off on that model.

http://www.quanticotactical.com/mp10.asp

I have no involvement whatsoever with S&W, Quantico, etc. </div></div>

Any idea what they mean by:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are "LE/Military Program" guns are we can only sell them to:
•Military: Active, Reserve and Retired
•LE: Active and Retired
•1st Responder: Fire, EMS, etc
•Private Security</div></div>

??

They aren't NFA weapons and there are no other restrictions on civilian sales. If this is a special they are running fo serve the military and public, good on them. But I don't know of any such "program guns" that can only be sold that way.

Thanks for any insight.

Dude, sorry, nobody around here has anything right now, and the ones that do are gouging. Rainier gets stuff, but you basically have to be there when it comes in as it sells almost instantly. If you hung out there, I bet you could score some stuff for real prices, but I couldn't guarantee that. Really, at this point, you are basically left scouring the net looking for good deals on parts that just came in but haven't sold yet, and trying to maybe build a rifle.

Does not the PX sell some of these rifles? I thought I heard a guy mention that. Have you tried MWR at Ft. Lewis? Not sure WHAT they have, but they do have some things, if I recall right (but been years).

You can flex you military ID and try and buy items from places that cater to that. Try Leeds police supply in Tacoma. Or maybe even The Marksman in Puyallup and ask if they have any rifles you are looking for that restricted for mil and cops. You might luck out. I'm sure there are others, but those two are the ones that come to mind.

Stay away from Oly, you can probably get something there but I'd probably wait.

Oh, and if Quantico has anything, try them. Just don't go to Surplus Ammo and Arms down the street. They've got a shady past and have been selling Pmags for just ridiculous prices. Also sold out of rifles, even at gouge prices.

Sometimes they have good deals, but they are too shady to try and figure out when or what that is. I only go there in good times, when they'll negotiate, and usually just on parts I can't wait on and Rainier doesn't have.

Rainier is your best local bet once they get back to normal. They've never let me down, and they also have a discount table worth looking at if you go by there --parts folks wanted switched out on their customized rifle get sold there discounted, brand new otherwise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't go to Surplus Ammo and Arms down the street. They've got a shady past and have been selling Pmags for just ridiculous prices.</div></div>

I'm not going to get into the argument of pricing with you, but as for the "shady" past, you care to elaborate? One of their managers is a friend of mine and a hide member here as well. They have always had the best pricing on ammo around and until the recent panic surge I can't recall any wrong doing on their part or things that would be construed as "shady" and even then I agree with why they raised their prices. So take away the price increase and please explain in your opinion what other shady practice they've done?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rainier is your best local bet once they get back to normal. They've never let me down, and they also have a discount table worth looking at if you go by there --parts folks wanted switched out on their customized rifle get sold there discounted, brand new otherwise. </div></div>

Normally I'd agree with this statement, but I'm on my way down there now to deal with an issue that if they don't make right I will blast them here shortly. Hopefully not "To be continued..."
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brianidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Function Over Form said:
These are "LE/Military Program" guns are we can only sell them to:
•Military: Active, Reserve and Retired
•LE: Active and Retired
•1st Responder: Fire, EMS, etc
•Private Security</div></div>

Probably for the same reason that group usually gets a discount on firearms. Maybe they've extended the courtesy in light of current (un)availability. My opinion only, I'm not privy to S&W or QT's agreements.

I'm sure you're already aware that PDs are having a hard time getting ammo. Personally-owned firearms are the only way some agencies can afford patrol rifles for each officer. I used to work for one of those agencies, and I'd probably prioritize a rifle purchase if I didn't have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rainier is your best local bet once they get back to normal. They've never let me down, and they also have a discount table worth looking at if you go by there --parts folks wanted switched out on their customized rifle get sold there discounted, brand new otherwise. </div></div>

Normally I'd agree with this statement, but I'm on my way down there now to deal with an issue that if they don't make right I will blast them here shortly. Hopefully not "To be continued..."
frown.gif

</div></div>

They handled it well. It wasn't immediately remedied but options were given to try and help and I understand their side of it. Just a heads up to everyone though, it doesn't say it, but all lowers are limited to 1 per person for the time being.

Thank you all so much for the help,knowledge, and guildince. As of now I will continue the search. As persistence pay off.
V/R Mike

I know that there was mention from smith and wesson at shot show about their tactical M&P-10s being availble to military/le only currently maybe its something similar to that just speculating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coastie.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you all so much for the help,knowledge, and guildince. As of now I will continue the search. As persistence pay off.
V/R Mike </div></div>

Good luck with your search! I built my AR last year and couldn't be happier. Took my time picking each component and got everything dialed in just how I wanted it. These days I almost feel like it's cheaper to buy a complete rifle (vs building one) since everyone is gouging prices so much for everything. Again, good luck and Thank you for your service.

I would place an order for a Seekins lower receiver, or two. You will not be charged before they ship. Probably 5 month wait, but you would be grandfathered in, in the event of of an AR ban. These are $260 each, you can build the rest as your funds allow. Quality lower parts kit, buttstock, etc. would cost $200 or so.

You can order a complete upper from Seekins, and pay for it when it ships.

-Steve