• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-22 CMMG Conversion

garrett

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just picked up a CMMG conversion for my ar-15 last week just for fun so my buds and I can run around the property chasing moles etc... Just wanted to say I was pretty impressed with the function of it, didnt really expect it to run all that well for some reason but i took it to the range last wed and it ran about 400 rounds through it with ZERO problems. Also very accurate but im sure this is more a function of my upper and the ammo. But anyways, I recommend it.
smile.gif
ALso CMMG CS is great

Re: AR-22 CMMG Conversion

yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - the .22 conversions are a blast (actually a cheap blast) to shoot

Clean out the gas tube with brake cleaner and scrub the barrel real good to "clear" the port. Rimfire burns a bit dirty and a blocked port can give you fits.

Other than that, rock on as usual and enjoy.

ahhh thanks for the info, i have to admit i did ponder that a little bit.

also i remember hearing somewhere that 22lr bullets are .223 dia while .223 are .224 thus affecting the fit between bullet and bore and this producing varying velocities etc etc... more just a piece of curiosity to me but is this correct?

I’ve shot Federal 750 and AM22 well enough out of a .224 barrel with acceptable accuracy (combat training drills inside 50 yards on 8” paper plates). Bullet diameter is of no issue as the plating on .22LR ammo is VERY thin. Most bullets are “cupped” at the base that allows the bullet to “expand” slightly which allows for a more positive engagement of the rifling/lands. Moreover, QC dictates more variation in ES/SD than the 0.001” difference.

A problem that might effect you, depending on what your goal is, is accuracy. A 1:9 or 1:7 twist barrel will keep them all inside an 8” paper plate… easy. However, a 1:16 twist, as in a dedicated upper, can hold ¾-1” at 50 yards.