• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR .223 barrel life

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Just wondering what kind of barrel life I can expect from a Rock River Varmint 24" SS barrel? Are they comparable to a 308 barrel life??

Alan

Re: AR .223 barrel life

The .223 and .308 should have very similar barrel lives; provided you stay away from magazine dumps or don't just keep shooting when the barrel gets very hot. Neither of these cartridges are overbore and with minimal care, should last a very long time.

It is my belief that using heavy bullets at maximum load (which is what I do, BTW,) is a factor in reducing barrel life. So is frequent improper cleaning. Protect your crown and you will be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .223 and .308 should have very similar barrel lives; provided you stay away from magazine dumps or don't just keep shooting when the barrel gets very hot. Neither of these cartridges are overbore and with minimal care, should last a very long time.

It is my belief that using heavy bullets at maximum load (which is what I do, BTW,) is a factor in reducing barrel life. So is frequent improper cleaning. Protect your crown and you will be fine. </div></div>

I remember the guy that owns ADCO did a SS barrel test (I don't think it was a fat bull barrel either) to see how their longevity compares vs a Chrome Lined barrel. If I remember correctly he fired over 20k rounds, many of them on full auto and there was very little accuracy loss. If you post on arfcom maybe search the archives, it was a year or more ago.

The high master HP shooters that I know get about 3-5,000 per barrel before they make it a practice barrel. They are pushing heavy bullets and when it goes from X to 10 ring they it is done to them.

It's all about the degree of accuracy required. If you are going to be shooting bulk or surplus ammo out of it, it will last 2 week past forever.

In Service Rifle, 3-5,000 sounds right.

In F-class, I'm hoping mine will last at least until 3000 rounds.