• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR .243 WSSM

bmeamber

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2011
Walnut Creek, CA
So I'm new to this forum and figured I'd start it off by talking about my newest varmint build. All I need is optics and a trigger job down the road. Anyone out there build a .243 WSSM on an AR 15 lower? Any questions, comments, concerns? I really hope this thing performs. Once I figure this site out and how to post pictures I'll post some.

Re: AR .243 WSSM

ARPredator has one, says its hell on a long range yote. I'll post pics and a link when I find it.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=2589331#comments

8477.jpg

I'm sure he can help, pm him if he doesn't see your thread on his own.

Welcome to the hide

Have Mike at DTECH build it first of all.
Go with at least a 1:8 twist if you want to sling the larger 105+ pills which will help greatly at long distance. A 1:10 will sling 87's with ease.

You could get a factory one from OlyArms and it will be pretty accurate out of the box. Accuracy Systems out of Colorado also does supurb accuracy builds, they will probably be quicker than Mike but will cost a little more.

There are some tricks to reloading if you plan to. You need to make sure you cam over your press when you resize or you will have feed issues.
You need to make sure your bottom bolt lugs ARE modified just a slight bit. Mike will do them for you, some places don't. If you don't, you'll be cutting up the shoulders on your brass pretty often.
WSSMbolt.jpg

Tan base coat and old glass
DSC02349.jpg

A new desert multicam coat and new NXS
DSC00267-1.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vE5LlYqgcys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T84vraiLUA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/no6tfaW9yzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oTl1Hp5pa7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m7fvaPtdDuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did not know about the bottom lug problem, good to know, thanks. Mike with Olympic Arms will take care of that? I got mine from Olympic Arms through Midway. I almost went through a guy up in Bemidji MN. He is very competitive with Olympic and Accuracy Systems but he offers custom builds such as a 26" barrel and muzzle breaks as well as custom finishes. Anyone out there interested should definately check out his options. I chose Oly because Midway had Xmas deals going on that saved me a grip of cash on my upper.

What does "Cam over your press" mean? I use an RCBS Ammo Master for all my reloading. Is there some special equipment I need for when I get set up for the WSSM?

Ahhh....accident on the rimfire section. I was trying figure out how to start a post some how this where I ended up. ROOKIE!!

No problem mods will move it if they need to. Welcome and cool build. I shoot all the WSSM mags in bolt guns and love them. Good luck on build and guys here are a wealth of knowledge

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMeamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did not know about the bottom lug problem, good to know, thanks. Mike with Olympic Arms will take care of that? I got mine from Olympic Arms through Midway. I almost went through a guy up in Bemidji MN. He is very competitive with Olympic and Accuracy Systems but he offers custom builds such as a 26" barrel and muzzle breaks as well as custom finishes. Anyone out there interested should definately check out his options. I chose Oly because Midway had Xmas deals going on that saved me a grip of cash on my upper. </div></div>

Sorry...Mike is actually the guy in Bemidji (and used to do a lot of the testing for Olympic when they got started, probably without a doubt...the WSSM AR MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE) but I don't know if you can really say that they (Dedicated Technologies or Accuracy Systems) COMPETE with Olympic Arms since Oly specifically has both contracted as (IIRC) the only two builders that are authorized to use Olympic Arms parts.

I don't know if OlyArms does there bolt lugs like that or not. I'm guessing no, but if you want to do it yourself, it's not hard. (or call Mike at Dtech and he'll probably do it for you no problem) Accuracy Systems built mine but they didn't do it either and after posting pics and questions as to why my brass was getting messed up, Mike (also known on the forums as "Dtech") pointed out the problem and how to fix it.

You can get a LOT of good information at WSSMzone.net or at AO2.org

I checked my bolt carrier from Olymipic Arms and the rear bottom lugs are rounded off to protect the brass. Just a FYI for anyone else out there wondering who does that.

I was going to go through Mike and get his custom muzzle break but money talked in the end when Midway put them on sale AND sent me a coupon for a discount. I couldn't pass it up, got my upper for $599 new. Mike offered a 26" barrel too but I'm not really sure how much that extra 2" of burn will make anyway.

So next question....I'm starting out with 55gr ammo. I understand you want a straighter twist for lighter bullets, right? I think my Olyarms is a 1 in 10" twist. Is that too much for a 55 grain bullet going 4,000 fps, does anyone out there know? I hope it's stable or I'll have to move up to a heavier bullet.

One other thing C_bass, I decided to do this project build right after I came back from a two week deployment in of all places...Bemidji MN! Imagine that! If I decided sooner on this build I would have paid Mike a visit to check out his operation. Who's ever heard of Bemidji? That place is in the middle of nowhere in northern MN. The crappie bites they serve up there are pretty good but that's about it.

You'll serve yourself much better if you set an accuracy goal, rather than a velocity goal.
1:10 will (should) do just fine with 55gr bullets depending on the kind of bullet, but I personally feel that the 243WSSM in an AR is taylor made for 75-95 gr bullets.
It will be interesting to see what you can make happen though.