• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar-30 338 lapua

Fieldman_.308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2011
utah
Hey guys! I'm new to forum so forgive me if this topic has been pounded to death. But I wanted to know what you all thought of the ar-30 338 lapua. I've owned one for about a year and have seen some awesome groups, but i'd still like to hear if anyone else have found a good load for this rifle. Also, I've been looking into buying another 338 lapua, and the two rifles i'm looking at are the sako trg 42 and the AI. If you wouldn't mind giving me some thoughts and info on these rifles i'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Re: Ar-30 338 lapua

I have an AR_30 338 Lap Mag. I love mine, but I did make a couple changes to make it a little more "shooter friendly" namely the adaptor that lets me run a rifle length AR-15 buffer tube and a magpul PRS stock, a Falcon overmolded (I think it's a Falcon, might be a DPMS, been a while since I put it on) pistol grip, and swapped my trigger for one with a flat trigger (my preference) it takes 700 triggers BTW, mine was awful, now brakes at about 1.5lbs. Also got the Armalite break, and 4.5-14x50 Leopold and the carry handle they make for the AR-50 slipped right onto my rail as well as the bipod Armalite sells for it. I'd have to check the load book for mine, but I think I'm a grain over max with 300 grn. Sierras. Needless to say uit's plenty stout. Shoots around .5-.75 MOA fom prone or the bench, haven't (and probably won't) shot it out past 1000 yards though.

Since you already have a fairly heavy .338, you may want to consider the TRG. Both the AI and TRG are outstanding rifles. The AI seems like it is built to take a little more abuse than the TRG.

Personally, I've been saving my coin for a Desert Tactical Arms SRS. It's approximately 10" shorter and a 1/2 a pound heavier than the TRG. But the real advantage is that you can swap out calibers so easily.

I shot one last summer and that eliminated my desire for the TRG. The trigger and accuracy were excellent. Due to it's short length, it felt lighter than it actually is.

I've found really decent results in this rifle, but the powder i've been loading with is very "dirty". Reloader 25 that is. I've been able to get decent groups with 250 gr and 300 gr bullets, and for some reason the more powder fowling I get the tighter the groups, but its hard to get the powder cleaned out. Anyone have better luck with a different powder?

I use VV N170 in the 338 LM, 90gr behind a 300gr SMK. RL15 is a pretty fast powder for a magnum cartridge. I would recommend H1000.

Holy jesus! Where did you get the idea to use Reloder 15????

Im not a powder genius but seems scary wrong and UBER dangerous!

I use rl-25 89 gr with 300 SMK in my ar 30. Its pretty hot load so i would start a little lower and work your way up but shoots really well.