• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 308 limiting factors when reloading?

B y r o n

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2004
Western Kentucky
I'm in the process of putting one together and ask this question because I know there are limits when reloading for an M1A. It seems that heavier bullets don't seem to be a problem so are there any limiting factors outside of excessive pressure or magazine length when reloading for an AR 308? I don't want to beat the gun if I can avoid it.

In case anyone needs specifics here is what I've assembled so far. JD Machine DPMS pattern upper and lower, PRS stock, MIAD grip, DD rifle length lite rail, DPMS bolt carrier assembly. I'm not settled on the barrel yet but it will be between 20" & 24". I'm just going to be punching paper and ringing steel with it.
smile.gif

Re: AR 308 limiting factors when reloading?

I haven't found any "limiting factors" loading for mine. Any powder that works well in a 308 case will function, any bullet that your barrel twist can stabilize will work. I've used really fast powders and stuff as slow as IMR4350, no problems.

I reload for a DPMS 24" bull barrel 1 in 10 twist upper and have had good luck with 41.5g IMR 4895 behind a 168g AMAX with win brass and win primers. The same load shoots good in my bolt gun also but for long range (1k yds) I load 44g of varget and 175smk. I havent tried this on my gas gun yet. Just stick to the proper burn rates and you'll be safe!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jet_lagged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is worth a read.

http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf </div></div>

I've read this and loaded for my M1A for a bunch of years, that's why I know you don't want to push loads in an M1A. It uses a rod to drive the bolt and heavy loads have been known to damage an M1A which is why I was asking this question.

I haven't heard or read much about either tuning loads or tuning guns to function properly in the AR 308 realm. I wasn't sure how much could be tolerated by the platform before harm is caused.

Thanks for the responses, hopefully more info will surface.