• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 308 platforms

ericf

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
texas gulf coast (Pasadena)
I've been doing a lot of searching and reading, but as of yet, haven't been able to decide with any confidence that "this is the manufacture of AR308 that I'm going to buy."!
DPMS, Armalite, LArue, LMT, POF, LWRC, JP, and the list goes on. After looking and contemplating the LMT-LAR-07, POF, even the JP, I decided that these were just way more $$ than I could justify. Dream about, YES. Justify , No.
MY final thoughts were an Armalite AR10T carbine factory built. Then just put a Magpul prs stock, BUIS, and be good to go. One of the least expensive options. Not a lot of "bells and whistles" but I don't feel I need those. I don't plan on using a pod, and won't be hanging anything off the handguard.
On the list, DPMS appears to be the least money (factory), but in posts, they seam to have the most troubles, (because of price I think there is many more of them out there, making it a matter of probability for problems. What about Dpms customer service? )
Anyway, Am I doing the correct thing here?
Should I seriously reconsider the DPMS?
One other thing, This will be mainly a Hunting, benched target, "fun" rifle. My daughter will get into this also

Re: AR 308 platforms

I have a DPMS LR-308 that runs perfect. I get half MOA with a factory bull barrel. Love it and would never even think of selling it!

I just ordered a DPMS LR-308 and it should be here next week. I will be shooting it stock for a little while before I start upgrading it. Did'nt want to wait for the LMT.

I'm waiting for the LMT .308 16" to be in stores. The one that won the UK MOD tests
smile.gif

I've got the DPMS 308b with the 18" bull barrel. I take care of it and it fires and functions flawless. I've had one jam so far. Great gun, if your going to hunt and carry it alot you might contemplate a lighter one mine is around 12lbs with scope bipod and 15 round mag

Price point would be in the low 2K's as a max.. I realize there are a lot more expensive ar308's over the DPMS, but the more I thought about "what and why", I decided that I just didn't need the visuals that add a lot of cost.
My main point of concern is reliability and light weight. I was just looking at DPMS website and am seriously considering the LR308-B model. 18" barrel and fluting for lightness. Is the A3 receiver upgrade needed?
Rather have the assist and never use it vrs. need it and be stuck with out it..
Greatly appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

I also like the A3 upper, not to jam a tight shell into the chamber but to load the gun without all the noise while hunting. Have you looked at the 308L? It comes with a 18" barrel and a A3 upper, I have one on order but in 260 Rem.

I would definitely reconsider the DPMS unless you go with a custom build. I have the LR-308 w/ a 24" stainless bull barrel and it's a great shooter. Never a minute's problem out of it. I also have a DPMS upper in 6.5 Creedmoor on a CMMG lower. I did have problems w/ the Creedmoor upper short stroking but I sent it back to DPMS per their instructions and had it back in less than 2 weeks working perfectly. Their customer service is great.

seriously consider JD machine tech, i am building two guns off their upper and lowers, god are they nice. and they will build you whatever you want, might save you some money. if you want pics check out my black rifle build thread. rob is a ex SEAL armorer who builds their guns to order

I've got a DPMS LR-308 and like it well enough. It's very accurate and it's functioned great however mine has the long fluted barrel and it's just too heavy to be terribly practical.

If I were starting fresh I'd get the LMT. It looks like a pretty dang handy rifle right out of the box.

I would consider getting the upper with forward assist and all. My 308b DPMS doesn't have it and I wish it did. When I move between coyote stands it gets old slamming my bolt or easing a bullet in and all that. For hunting def go with the forward assist

First off: go with a DPMS like platform for the magazines alone. They are much cheaper plus Magpul is selling their line for under 20 bucks.

I have two DPMS's - a GAP SASS and a DPMS AP4 in 308 with a 16" barrel. That is my back-up rifle. I like the idea of having a back-up shooting the same ammo as my work weapon. Also, I have shot the 16" out to 300 and have good accuracy with it. It was been holding 1.50 MOA out to 300 with reload 168 SMK's. Not bad for me.

I run the armalite and I have never had a problem. It is suppressed and always functions. Armalite had a deal on magazines on their web site so the mags arn't too expensive. I have the magpul prs stock and it works great. You can shoot other makers but the original is the way to go.

For form, function and price (556), LMT is hard to beat. I own one LMT lower and several uppers and other various LMT components. I am going to follow up and purchase a LMT 308 Modular. At a MSRP or $2500 they are very competitive in the price catagory and with their track record of producing an outstanding product you can't go wrong.

I would love to own a Noveske or Larue 308 though the wait and the price have turned me off. Both companies turn out great products but you pay both time and money for something I am not sure is really worth it in the long run.

My local is selling the LMT .308 for 2100. LMT said they would ship mid may.

I have read over on arf.com that since LMT was given the Brit contract for a few rifles, the quality and QC has dropped dramatically. I'm not very versed in this sort of stuff, and I don't know how anyone would actually know such things, especially since the 308 is just being released. Maybe just a jealous wanna-be owner posting this because he didn't have one, I don't know. But I'm learning to take things I read "with a grain of skepticism". Unless I'm being directly offered advice - help.
The LMT is a very desirable platform, but for the pricing /cost for use factor, I'm not so sure. Sure I would love to have one. I actually think it would be a great investment (as all firearms are!)((finally the spouse is realizing this)). But because of the cost, and my "anal" attitude, I don't think I would use it while in wet, nasty woods. Just me. I know I need to get past this as far as some rifles go. But because of my age and the way I was raised, I just don't abuse things if I can avoid it. Even if they were meant to withstand it.
This is the reason for looking at lesser cost platforms. And some of the "bells and whistles" aren't needed or desired.
Please keep the reports coming, I am getting some great advice here.

Bigjoe, I tried to look at the JD tech web, but couldn't find a way to email them as to inquire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read over on arf.com that </div></div> That is as reliable as me saying, "The Easter Bunny told me that the Tooth Fairy said________."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read over on arf.com that </div></div> That is as reliable as me saying, "The Easter Bunny told me that the Tooth Fairy said________." </div></div>

Depending on the subject...I'd tend to believe the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy than some of the garbage I wade through on ARFCOM!!
crazy.gif

Now there is some good info and a wealth of knowledge on ARFCOM, but you have to get through all the @$$holes and the garbage to get to the truth sometimes.

I've had an AR10T for six+ yrs know, no FA, 2500+ rnds down the pipe, sub moa is still boreingly easy. I also have a AR10A2 with SS match barrel (also sob moa), both run like sewing machines, always have. I know DPMS makes a very good rifle but I would never choose one over an Armalite and I've had experience with both. JMO and you know what opinions are like. Armalite had a sale a while back on gen 2 mags 5 for 100 bucks, thier cheap enough. Lewis Mach. & Tool makes lowers for Armalite along with quite a few of the other better manufacturers, there was a big discussion on here a couple years ago about this. You're not gonna go wrong with either. I'd recommend a Tubbs Carrier Weight System or an adjustable gas block with either, the .308 ARs cycle is pretty violent. The "Ts" are heavy, being a carbine will help quite a bit, the fluting a little. They are tough, just dont bash them on the rocks too much, they'll continue to look and hold up great and I bet you'll enjoy useing them in the woods too. I enjoy shooting the big ARs as much if not more than anything. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read over on arf.com that </div></div> That is as reliable as me saying, "The Easter Bunny told me that the Tooth Fairy said________." </div></div>

LOL......That's funny as shit.
smile.gif

Gotta remember that one.

I'm another DPMS LR308 owner who is very happy! This rifle shoots amazingly well right out of the box! You'll need a aftermarket trigger though as the stock one was pretty bad.

Rick

contact info for JD is

Robert Brown
phone- 619-298-8800
fax- 619-298-8300
[email protected]

hope that helps. i really push their products cuz they make some TOP end stuff. trust me i shoot KAC stuff at work, and i would put the JD pieces up against anyones. I would definately reccomend them to anyone, VERY nice pieces. I'll be sending my uppper/lower set to GA here soon to have a build done.

I picked up a DPMS LR308 with a 24" SS bull barrel, bone stock with 4 mags and under 200 rds down the pipe 2 weeks ago and all I can say is DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM!!! This stick is a hammer! I am an avid benchrest shooter and love my bolt guns, I have put together several ar-15s for varmint/target shooting, and have had fun with them but never anything like this one. When I offered to trade for the rifle, i figured I would rebarrel it to a 6.5x47 Lapua or maybe a 260 and see what it would do, just because I havent ever been a big 30 fan, but not now, You couldnt pry this sucker away from me. When I got it home I gave it a good once over and cleaned the bore (po said it had been broken in sinclair method, I have no reason to doudt that) and it looked great, I bolted on a 4.5-14 Tactical Leupy that I had in the safe, and went out to wally world (small town) and picked up 2 boxes of $13 Federal 150gr psp. I am a reloader, but had no components and it was Sunday. I bore sighted it and after a 2 shot zero I sent five shots down range at under .5! I was very impressed to say the least. Since then I have started on some load development and I put a single stage JARD trigger in last night. (the factory trigger is pretty bad) I can't find anything this rifle doesnt like, it shoots everything. So far with a 150SMK and 43grs of Benchmark it is truly a LASER! It just stacks em as good as I can hold the rifle. I am hooked on this one and for the money I don't see how you can beat it. It is pretty heavy, but I got a good BC sling and it helps cushion the weight. So my suggestion would be with the DPMS, with your budget,, you could get the rifle, some pretty good glass and be ready to go! JMO, good luck

Since your price point is low $2k area, I think you've got a lot of options, provided our optic isn't included in the price. If I were spending your money, I'd get a 16" Armalite AR-10 carbine. That would go for about $1300 or so on Gunbroker. Then I'd put the PRS stock on it, a new rail system, and have the trigger worked on, if not replaced. That will still have you under your price point and you'll be able to see if the accuracy is acceptable for you.

The way I see it is that if I want bolt-gun accuracy and reach, then I'll buy a bolt gun. If I'm going for something that handles easily, shoots fast, and will give me 20 bullets for the coming wave of zombies, then a gas gun is the pick. Just my $.02. I think half the fun is all the research and tweaking that goes into a build like this.

By the way, there's some lemons out there among the new guns. I think that the enormous production pressures on some manufacturers for piston guns and new products has hurt QC. I don't spend my money on Gen I guns. I think you're best going for the DPMS or AR-10 and then building from there.

Hi all, first post:

I bought a DPMS LR-308B, and though it is obvious to me that there are "prettier" gas .308s available, I am very impressed with the value of mine.

For example:
0106102204-00.jpg

That is 5 shots of my first ever handloads 100yds w. crappy Simmons optics that came on gun.

And I'm an amateur, so it's not me.
smile.gif
and maybe it could get better?

Good luck with your choice.

Ryan

Your original thought was a good one... Armalite AR10T, install the PRS, and go shoot.

I have what started out as a LR-308. I put 13 rounds through it just to make sure it worked (I had 13 rounds of .308 with me) then I swapped on a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. The few rounds of .308 I put through it were really very accurate, and the Creedmoor is at least as accurate. I think they're great guns.

Look into the RRA varmint. Mine will be here end of the week. I will let you know what I think, but all the other guns I have of theirs run great. I only spent $1200. Leaves some cash for upgrades. Plus Mags are cheap since they are FAL.

Save the money from an Armalite and go with the DPMS....you would be hard pressed to measure a performance differance. Plus it leaves you some extra coin for upgrades or customizing.

there is also the build your own option. i started with a DPMS stripped lower $200, lower parts kit $70, 6 position buttstock $65 and am looking at a DPMS upper for $600-$700 so $935 to $1035 for a complete rifle minus mags. thats a 24" upper with either slick side ($600) or forward assist for more $$. add a decent trigger ($100-$200) and some optics (upto $700) and go shooting and still you could be under your budget. now later if i sell the stock barrel and then mount a match grade 18" or so from kreiger, white oak or i think maybe rock can make you one and your the owner of an even nicer rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save the money from an Armalite and go with the DPMS....you would be hard pressed to measure a performance differance. Plus it leaves you some extra coin for upgrades or customizing. </div></div>
I was going to do that very thing. After shooting my dpms; I realized that what I had to do to this rifle to make I the way I wanted(prs stock,railed fore end,national match trigger, etc) I could just go out and buy a Armalite super sass with all the goodies and them some instaled. So I traded the DPMS for a Super SASS

Remember....especially with AR's......accuracy is only part of the equation. How will the rifle perform after 5 years and 5K rounds? How reliable is it after having a few hundred rounds dumped through it quickly? Fit (esp. upper to lower)? Made well (carrier gas tube staked)? Finish and how is the finish holding up after much handling? If you can, find some examples of each that are well used and compare. Once again, good luck.

okie

I am an Armalite fan. I have one now but I just sold one to a fellow hide member. Armalite makes a fantastic 308 gas gun. I have a Leupold tactical L/R 3.5x 10x 40 on mine and it is factory Realtree Camo and with a 20" barrel... Great hunting rifle, I have killed many a deer with it. As far as your daughter is concerned, it might be alittle on the heavy side as a hunting weapon though unless she competes in shot put and looks like a "Helga" from Siberia. I don't mind the weight, I'm used to carrying heavy stuff. I love the 308 and love the 2nd shot follow up capability. As far as carrying thru the woods the 16" carbine AR-10 and open sight A-2 carry handle is an absolute jewell...Rain or shine, hot or cold you need not worry about your optics getting wet or fogging and the carbine 308 is much lighter than the 20" or the T model....Hope this helps.....................SmokeRolls

I am looking for the LR308B DPMS , or the AR10T carbine. I realize there will be a slight cost difference between the two. And a mag cost differences but either of these will leave enough in the (rifle) account to pick up a decent trigger and glass with a mount. The stock change can wait.
Appreciate all the info that has been offered here.
That's why this site is topshelf.

BigJoe, The JD does have possibility, But I'm no gunsmith, I have the ability and confidence to screw things up. So with that, I may go the JD route, but will have to put pen and paper to the final cost and find out about cost of barrel work.

I agree with Okiefried. Armalites AR-10T is a great rifle that shoots with authority and like he wrote runs like a sewing machine. Mine is the 1999 version and when I purchased the 2nd generation magazines and did have some problems with feeding. I called Armalite and they sent me new updated bolt stop and magazine release. with no charge and fast service. A great company that stands behind their product. I've got 400 acres in SW Oklahoma and when we decided to do some long range shooting the AR-10T with 168 gr A-Max bullets and Varget will break prairie dog sized rocks with authority at 800 yards. I've come to really enjoy this rifle.
ar10tnewgrip.jpg

Another question I have about gas gun is how many reloads can you get with your brass? I hear that the extractors on the gas gun is not too kind on brass. Is it true?

Interesting set up Ron, very nice. How do you like that hand grip? Still the factory trigger? Yeah, I remember when I first got my T, took it to my neighbors range cause mine wasn't set up yet. I was busting those really small Coke bottles with it at 400 pretty consistantly right out of the box useing 147gr Aussie mil ammo (all I had). Made me a believer. Believe me, I know there are a lot of other very good quality AR's out there, I've just never felt the need to look any further than Armalite for a factory rifle, especially a big bore. Extending my range to 1K this spring, cant wait to try my hand at driving it that far
smile.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question I have about gas gun is how many reloads can you get with your brass? I hear that the extractors on the gas gun is not too kind on brass. Is it true? </div></div>

Several different factors. Type of brass, how hots the load, hows the rifle set up? Adjustable gas blocks or Tubb's Carrier Weight System sure helps your brass life I think. I have 4 loadings on some of my Fed brass now and its still in good shape.

okie

I just got a DPMS AP4. I am not entirely sold on the rifle yet. I took it to the range to shoot it the first time and it had a FTF on the 6th rd. I am hoping the MagPul mags will fix it. I had 3 FTFs in 20 Rds. I walked in the store already knowing I was getting the POF, (I like the charge handle location) and ended up walking out with the AP4 instead.

It WILL need a trigger. Its painfully heavy and very gritty. It did shoot sub MOA at 100 yds. with iron sights when I did my part.

I was going to build an 18" Upper with a fluted barrel for it for $700, but that money will be going to the trigger and the odds and ends to get it where it should be first.

Thats the bad, the good is it was lighter than any of the others they had there, and the upgrades are easy if you have worked on the stoner platform before, and the parts are plentiful and cheap.

Welcome BSalty. Yeah, lot of em need tweeking a bit at first. Probly not telling you anything but the first thing I do with FTF problems is adjust the feed lips on the mag, they usually need to be opened up a little. Good luck.

okie

I just joined. If you go to the DPMS posts you will see the LR308 is a tackdriver (mine is). The recurring problem is primarily with magazine feed. Fortuately, I read these before even taking mine to the range. I slipped some cartridges in the factory mag. First, they would not hand strip, hit the lip of the mag, second, when I tried to feed a cartridge with the mag inserted, the nose of the cartridge (after I got it past the lip of the mag) hit about 3/16" below the feed ramp. Just as described in the DPMS forum under LR308 feed problems. I ordered C Products mags from 44 Mag ($14.95 each vice the $44.95 for DPMS mags) and they feed beautifully, single or multiple loads. I called DPMS and they said return the Mags for replacement. After a month and no mags, I called. Out of stock. I asked for credit and they sent me an adjustable buttstock. Check the forums and I think you will see that the majority of problems are feed related.