• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 308 reloading questions

mattsnuked

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix
What avg. velocity are you running with 168 SMK and Varget on a 308 AR. Or I guess what would be a good spot to stay around if the load had acceptable accuracy? I was testing out some loads and about the max I could get was 2640. I couldn't find a lot of info regarding AR 308 loads on here. I was also thinking about trying the 175 SMK as well.
Please share your loads and info.
Thanks.

Re: AR 308 reloading questions

2600-2650 is the "standard" velocity range for a near max 168 loading in a 24" barrel. For example FGMM 168 generally shoots in this velocity range in factory bolt guns.

Super slick barrels (lapped barrels, custom chambers) can eak out a little more.

Pushing the edge of pressure can also eak out a little more.

I have an 18" barrel on my DPMS LR-308 and I just last week got the best load down, I am shooting the 168 AMAX, H4895, 43.0 grains, 2.828 OAL. I shot at 160 yards a group of five under 3/4 of an inch and two of the shots same hole third shot was at 0.222 from the first two, last two rounds moved out a little bit as the barrel got warm.

Mitch, this is what I was looking for, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">41.5gr R-15 , Fedral brass and primers, 175gr HPBT Sierra

24" DPMS </div></div>
What velocity is this running? I am getting ready to try out some 175 SMK.

Havent chroned but heres some loads:
These arent the greatest..but some I've come up with while experimenting:
178amxloads.jpg

dpms24lrloads.jpg

Shot w/ DPMS LR308 24"...from the 2nd group buy here on the hide.
dpmsmagpul.jpg

Workin on some for the 16" now too