• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR 500 Steel

TravisB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
Harrisburg, North Carolina
I have some AR 500 Steel targets that I bought from LV Steel. I have shot everything from .223 to .338 Lapua at them, and never had a problem until now. I bought a .204 Ruger and could not wait to shoot it. To my surprise its putting craters in the steel up to 3/16" deep. Has anybody else had this happen from the .204 Ruger? I was 100 yards from the target.

Re: AR 500 Steel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have some AR 500 Steel targets that I bought from LV Steel. I have shot everything from .223 to .338 Lapua at them, and never had a problem until now. I bought a .204 Ruger and could not wait to shoot it. To my surprise its putting craters in the steel up to 3/16" deep. Has anybody else had this happen from the .204 Ruger? I was 100 yards from the target. </div></div>

Speed kills steel. The faster bullets will do more damage than slow ones. The size dosn't seem to matter as much as the speed of the bullet and if it's got a steel core.

I had the same problem with my steel. A buddy's 22-250 pushing 50 grain bullets at around 4K cratered the shit out of it.

Ever wonder why they put speed limits at some of the competitions?

There are speed limits?
smile.gif

Also remember AR500 is not armor plateing nor designed for bullet proofing. It's abrasion resistant hence the name "AR". It was designed for stuff like dozer blades, sprockets, and such things.

Energy = 1 / 2 mass X velocity squared.

So yes, velocity matters more than mass.

The .204 Ruger is one of the fastest cartridges out there and at 100 yards, it will have retained most of its MV, so .204 Ruger on steel at 100 is not really a good idea. Hell, anything on steel at 100 is not really a good idea (except maybe rimfire).

At 100 yards, you can spot bullet holes with most decent scopes. Paper is best at that range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the velocity of the .204 Ruger? </div></div>

Its around 4K. There regular factory Hornady rounds. I have not started loading for it yet. Just bought some off the shelf.