• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 6.5 Creedmoor build thoughts

Tansz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2021
California
Hey I was wondering what your guy's opinion on this rifle is, new to long range shooting and looking for options on a 6.5 Creedmoor semi-auto rifle.

Mega MATEN Set - Ambi, Billet Lower, Upper, and handguard

Geissele National Match Trigger, Mil Spec Buffer Tube, JP Silent Capture Buffer Spring, Luth adjustable butt stock

Bartlein 22" 1-8 twist, 6.5mm barrel stainless barrel, JP 308 High pressure bolt, JP Bolt Carrier Group, Adj. Gas Block, JP Muzzle brake, scope rings.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Hey I was wondering what your guy's opinion on this rifle is, new to long range shooting and looking for options on a 6.5 Creedmoor semi-auto rifle.

Geissele National Match Trigger, Mil Spec Buffer Tube, JP Silent Capture Buffer Spring, Luth adjustable butt stock

Bartlein 22" 1-8 twist, 6.5mm barrel stainless barrel, JP 308 High pressure bolt, JP Bolt Carrier Group, Adj. Gas Block, JP Muzzle brake, scope rings.
All sounds pretty decent, I’d suggest a rifle +2 gas system and as for the JO adjustable gas block just be aware it may not line up with access holes via the hand guard which would mean you have to remove hand guard to adjust the gas. I personally prefer the superlative arms AGB because the adjustment is facing forward and can easily be adjusted without removing the hand guard.

All sounds pretty decent, I’d suggest a rifle +2 gas system and as for the JO adjustable gas block just be aware it may not line up with access holes via the hand guard which would mean you have to remove hand guard to adjust the gas. I personally prefer the superlative arms AGB because the adjustment is facing forward and can easily be adjusted without removing the hand guard.
Thank you! How would you rate this build alongside other semi auto rifles like GAP-10, SP10, or JP LRP-07? Those were some of the choices I was interested in.

Sounds like a great build.

You might see if you can specify a gas port size, or get a +2 length system... most all my barrels used have had plenty big gas ports. And I have "needed" to use Adj GB's on all my different brand barrels, except the Kreiger barrel.. it was GTG from the start.

In other words... if the barrels had smaller gas ports, I wouldn't have wanted to tame the gas flow... so less money spent, or a 100 dollars put towards a better scope or such.

I am not a huge fan of the Luth stock ( ascetics wise. ) And am hoping the new Magpul LtWt PRS actually shows up some time soon.

I am also a huge fan of "truing" the upper receiver face and loctiting in the barrel. Not everyone agrees, and that is fine.. but I have had good results with all the uppers I have done it to. For that matter Criterion recommends it.

Part 3 about the 1 minute point..
https://criterionbarrels.com/media/accurizing-the-ar-15-video-series/?v=00dc5da36527

I don't know if you are aware... but Large Frame AR's "require" more / different bench skills then a AR15. Specifically longer follow through with the trigger, after the bullet has left the barrel.

So don't be surprised if it takes a little time to get the groups you desire.

After you are done... please post your results and impressions.

Thank you! How would you rate this build alongside other semi auto rifles like GAP-10, SP10, or JP LRP-07? Those were some of the choices I was interested in.

Assembling parts is is one thing .... having someone that knows the tricks, and has done it for years and years is another thing.

Much like building a great V8 motor....

Just my 2 cents.

i use similiar components in my builds. As others have said, AR10's are finicky. it will take some tuning. they dont just work like the smaller 15.

Looks like a mix master of assorted premium parts that may or may not run and have limited resale value.

Could be great,could be a nightmare

For what you are going to spend, I would really advise a factory gun especially if there is your first large frame AR, I consider a Gap or Seekins and be done with it.

I built up a Mega a number of years back and honestly it shot great, but considering the amount of manufactures out there, and AR10's not having a single spec. I really don't think its worth it to build them anymore.

Looks like a mix master of assorted premium parts that may or may not run and have limited resale value.

Could be great,could be a nightmare

For what you are going to spend, I would really advise a factory gun especially if there is your first large frame AR, I consider a Gap or Seekins and be done with it.

I built up a Mega a number of years back and honestly it shot great, but considering the amount of manufactures out there, and AR10's not having a single spec. I really don't think its worth it to build them anymore.
I was definitely thinking about leaning more towards a higher end factory gun, thanks for the input!

I wouldn't be scared about a home built gun not working. They aren't that difficult to get working, I think pretty much all manufacturers have figured out gas port sizing at this point. As long as you don't misalign the gas block, you shouldn't have much problem getting the rifle to cycle. Personally, I'd use a A5 extension with a Tubb 308 flatwire spring and H3 buffer, but I don't think it's going to make a big deal deal either way...

With that said... I'd go with a factory gun, just for resale alone. Parts guns are never worth close to what you paid, and much more difficult to sell. Whereas a LMT, KAC or other quality factory gun seems much easier to sell, with less depreciation.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Sounds like a solid list of parts to me.

I recently did a similar build, and as other people have experienced, had a parts incompatability issue (handguard had too small a inside dimensions for my gas block). If I were to do it again, I might consider buying a factory built gun.

There was a MWS that came with a spare upper in the sale section for $3200 earlier today. That’s the route I’d go.

I think I am going to put in an order for the JP LRI-20 and wait the time.

In today's political climate I would seriously reconsider throwing that much money at a rifle that you can't really use in your State anyway.

California is not the state to be in if you're looking to enjoy semi-automatic rifles.

If those parts are assembled by anyone with 1/2 a brain and the rifle is shot by someone who knows how to shoot it will be a 1/2 moa rifle. Large frames aren’t some voodoo magic mystery machines. Make sure your parts are compatible and assemble them. It’s not hard and you don’t need to do any secret squirrel accuracy tricks. That’s why you chose quality parts.

Also, the suggestion to start on a bolt gun because it takes less fundamentals to shoot well- I’d say that’s the reason TO start with a gas gun. Learn to shoot a large frame well and you’ll be able to shoot anything well. I’d rather know I’m doing it wrong and fix it than spend a year shooting good groups with bad fundamentals. It’s a lot easier to learn to do it right the first time. This is why there are 100 “can’t shoot a gas gun like my bolt gun” threads.

It all sounds quite familiar, since my build was:
- Mega Maten MKM extra-length receiver set
- Geissele HS NM trigger
- JP VMOS Heavy bcg
- Magpul PRS Gen 3 buttstock
- Rifle-length receiver extension (buffer tube)
- JP SCS heavy buffer
- Geissele ACH
- Magpul MOE+ grip
- JP 22" +2 gas barrel
- SLR Sentry 9 gas block
- Area 419 Hellfire brake & adapter
- Geissele 05-424 20moa, 30mm mount
- Vortex Razor HD AMG scope

It shoots sub-1/2moa with Hornady Match 140ELDM ammo (The rifle does, I wish I did consistently). It chrono'd that ammo at 2660fps, but I still only have about 150rds thru it.

20191206_161340[1].jpg

In today's political climate I would seriously reconsider throwing that much money at a rifle that you can't really use in your State anyway.

California is not the state to be in if you're looking to enjoy semi-automatic rifles.
As someone who lives in California, I have been building semi autos exclusively since I was introduced to the shooting sports about a decade ago. My thinking is that I don't know how much longer I'll be able to enjoy these things, so I'm building what I can while I still can.

If there's a true ban on semi autos, I'll adapt and modify what I can to stay on the right side of the law, but at that point I will likely get into bolt actions for hunting and target shooting. But in the meantime, I'm hunting with my ARs, doing what I can to promote the shooting sports, introducing new shooters to this hobby of ours, and doing my part to preserve 2nd Amendment rights in this state. It may not be the haven that other states are, but there are a lot of 2A supporters doing their best here.

Reactions: larryh128
So, not to hijack this thread; but can anybody name a good maker using Bartlein OTHER than Craddock for a "10" platform?

Possibly Keystone Accuracy, if he can secure the barrel stock. He did me a 20” Krieger 1:7 +2 gas 6.5CM that is very accurate, but would be certain to specify a JP barrel extension for the build.

I got my Bartlein 6.5CM Barrel in from Craddock yesterday l. I assembled the Upper last night and took her out today for barrel break in and gas block adjustment. I only had 3 different types of 6.5CM Ammo Hornady 147 ELD, 140 ELD and 140 American Gunner. I shot one 5rd Group of each to just get a idea of how she's going to perform with handloads. Surprisingly out of this small sample the American Gunner shot the best.

IMG_20210427_122231632.jpg
IMG_20210427_121902422.jpg
IMG_20210427_121856942.jpg
IMG_20210427_121909672.jpg

You have a Craddock Barrel that doesn't shoot?
For me, it did not; for others I had shoot it, it did not. Now, I'm not the best shooter in the world; but no other gun I own has shot as poorly for me. I'll leave it at that for now.

At this moment I don't want to elaborate too much; but, a side-by-side comparison with a fellow shooter at the range with his Savage AR-10 in 6.5 was significantly more accurate with same ammo (147, 140 and some 130 Bergers - all factory). By side-by-side, I'm talking same bench, within 3 minutes of each other, no wind, same target, 100 yards.

Unless my lower (also Aero Precision) and same as the upper assembled by Craddock, is FUBAR, then I'm struggling to figure out what the deal is. 250+ rounds and I'm done with experimenting at the ammo price point of today. It's not my intention trash anybody; so if yours works I'm happy for you. I'll chalk it up as a "lesson" and move on with life.

And yes...I changed scopes (3x) with 3 separate mounts to rule out scope shifting.

Yes we have communicated regarding this issue.

Mentally I’ve written this off, but financially it’s a hard pill to swallow. Lesson learned. Cheaper than most college classes so I guess that’s the silver lining.

Last edited:
If those parts are assembled by anyone with 1/2 a brain and the rifle is shot by someone who knows how to shoot it will be a 1/2 moa rifle. Large frames aren’t some voodoo magic mystery machines. Make sure your parts are compatible and assemble them. It’s not hard and you don’t need to do any secret squirrel accuracy tricks. That’s why you chose quality parts.

Also, the suggestion to start on a bolt gun because it takes less fundamentals to shoot well- I’d say that’s the reason TO start with a gas gun. Learn to shoot a large frame well and you’ll be able to shoot anything well. I’d rather know I’m doing it wrong and fix it than spend a year shooting good groups with bad fundamentals. It’s a lot easier to learn to do it right the first time. This is why there are 100 “can’t shoot a gas gun like my bolt gun” threads.

+1
Get same brand upper/lower adjustable gas block and small fire pin bolt head and good to go..
I went with Aeroprecision for all but the gas block. Ran like a rapped ape.
When you go with a 22" +2 gas tube barrel, no need to worry about gas block not fitting under long hand guard, as it is out the end... and
what I can see, would go under w/o issue.

Good barrel makes all the difference. I would have had my 6.5 replacement barrel up and going today,,, but the manufacture can't seem to
get the extension pin in straight!... This is the 2nd barrel out of 5 that had a PIN NOT IN STRAIGHT!....
I believe in there barrels, at least the ar15 barrel shot clovers when I did my job.
.... 22 creedmoor ar10 barrel going out for testing today.... hope I was not wrong.

I would not glue in the barrel, or loctite 638 retaining compound.. True it up and you can't get any better IMHO. All my barrels fit Very tight, not worried about movement.

More worried if I my reloads are repeatable.

830$ for the build minus barrel and tank of a stock magpul prs gen 2. Cant wait till light weight versoin gets released..1
450$ for the barrel with a Guarantee that it will group well. (usually less than 1/2 moa is norm) by Rainier arms
For 1200$ You have a kick ars. sub MOA 6.5 cm gas gun!.. had extra triggers ect.. I have not been held back by a milspec trigger that has been cleaned up a bit... so why change.
Not sure how it gets any better than that.. well perhaps if The forward assist was deleted. No need for that in my world and only adds weight to an already heavy gun

Last edited:
The picture below is of the 22 Creedmoor just wanted to show how the gas block is past the forearm

and yes the trigger is not milspec . I was testing if it made any difference on paper

Attachments

• 33D2BAD7-C8E5-4538-AE6F-FBCF0B3C6A4C.jpeg
    33D2BAD7-C8E5-4538-AE6F-FBCF0B3C6A4C.jpeg
    696.9 KB · Views: 66
  • AB33040D-A88A-40D3-8C97-72B7AF0FF98D.jpeg
    AB33040D-A88A-40D3-8C97-72B7AF0FF98D.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 71
Do you happen to have any recommendation's for completed 6.5CM AR's? My search recently has been tough especially with living in California.

Seekins SP10 is a solid choice, it will take awhile to get it if my buddy in Calif that ordered one is any indication.

FYI. 2018/2019 .308 AR10 build cost. Could have gone cheaper on some items but VERY happy with the results:

Aero M5 Custom Builder Set (special paint)
$650.00​
M5 Lower Parts Kit
$53.00​
Tubbs Spring
$37.00​
AR10 Buffer
$15.00​
SA Gas Block
$95.00​
Aero AMBI Charging Handel
$70.00​
BA 18" Barrel