• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 74

1J04

Lost Squirrel
Minuteman
  • Aug 7, 2011
    PNW WA
    Yep, you read that right. AR 74, that's what I'm calling it. One of our dear departed Brothers from the Hide passed and left me some of his things. One of them is an AR Platform chambered in 5.45x39. I was wondering if anyone knows of a Polymer Mag for 5.45x39 for the AR Platform. I have steel mags, but would like some Polymer if they even make them. I have yet to try any of my 5.56 PMAGS, and have seen the mixed reviews and drawbacks of them.

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty certain they ain't out there, but asking none the less. Completely new to me round.

Stag15.jpg

Don't know about poly, gotta be poly?

You could try Grendel mags but the problem with Russian shit is that they don't wanna play fair in the stack. There's a relation between the two but more related in diameter than anything else.

Anything 47 should work since the brass is the same --I think, it's been awhile and I liquidated all my AK shit a long while back. There ARE AK mags for AR's --they're funky looking with a very abrupt curve halfway down. SF wanted these twenty years ago, an AR to use battlefield pickups (they always think of the oddest shit nobody will ever actually do, then have that made don't they?). They tried one using AK mags and one using modified AR mags and I think they still had feeding problems either way. It never went anywhere but some still float around. Check Gunbroker?

I'd call Bill Alexander and see what he knows, he's a cool cat and would probably take a call from you. Just tell him that SDM guy from twenty years ago sent you, I helped him move a few Beowulfs into military arms rooms, we'd shoot the shit some pre-internet days. He has experience making these and used to make a .21 something AR which was basically just a boxer primed version of what you have IIRC. So he'd be the guru here.

If everyone has you as beneficiary, well, you're gonna need to get a bigger place man!

Last edited:
    Don't know about poly, gotta be poly?

You could try Grendel mags but the problem with Russian shit is that they don't wanna play fair in the stack. There's a relation between the two but more related in diameter than anything else.

Anything 47 should work since the brass is the same --I think, it's been awhile and I liquidated all my AK shit a long while back. There ARE AK mags for AR's --they're funky looking with a very abrupt curve halfway down. SF wanted these twenty years ago, an AR to use battlefield pickups (they always think of the oddest shit nobody will ever actually do, then have that made don't they?). They tried one using AK mags and one using modified AR mags and I think they still had feeding problems either way. It never went anywhere but some still float around. Check Gunbroker?

I'd call Bill Alexander and see what he knows, he's a cool cat and would probably take a call from you. Just tell him that SDM guy from twenty years ago sent you, I helped him move a few Beowulfs into military arms rooms, we'd shoot the shit some pre-internet days. He has experience making these and used to make a .21 something AR which was basically just a boxer primed version of what you have IIRC. So he'd be the guru here.

If everyone has you as beneficiary, well, you're gonna need to get a bigger place man!

Thank you Stud! I ALWAYS appreciate your input.

@TacticalDillhole. The isdue is the rounds coming forward causing jams with 556 pmags.

@Strykervet I gotta stack of 2 different SS 5.45x39 AR Mags. The new in plastic one I took to this things 1st range trip failed. Literally started to seperate at the seems causing the rounds to misalign and fail to feed.

I would think regular pmags for 556 would work no?
    No, they won't. 5.45x39 is the same as 7.62x39, just necked down to .22 caliber. And regular 5.56 mags don't work for the fatter cases, unless you have a special follower and spring in them. He would be better off getting some C-Products/DuraMag stainless mags for 7.62x39 or possibly 6.5 Grendel (if it will feed right, the case tapers are different for the Grendel than the _.__x39 cases).

I've been wishing Magpul would make PMags for 6.5 Grendel for years, but so far, no-go...

I had a spikes factory upper set up for 5.45. It shot good and functioned well as far as the upper but could never get reliable operation out of the mags. They just didnt work. I cut the follower on magpul mags, I used c product mags supposedly made for it smooth the inside and tried teflon spray all kind of shit but just never could make it work great. If you can get reliable mag operation you would have something. Maybe not now cause the way ammo is but at that time i was trying to shoot alot on the cheap.

No, they won't. 5.45x39 is the same as 7.62x39, just necked down to .22 caliber.
    Nope. Just going from memory, 7.62 case head diameter is .443, 5.45 is .394 ish. If you put them side by side and start measuring they're very different. Different case taper also.

@1J04 I remember the previous owner posting that rifle and I conversed with him about it, can't remember who it was though.

Edit: That was Veer's rifle wasn't it?

Last edited:
    Nope. Just going from memory, 7.62 case head diameter is .443, 5.45 is .394 ish. If you put them side by side and start measuring they're very different. Different case taper also.

@1J04 I remember the previous owner posting that rifle and I conversed with him about it, can't remember who it was though.

Edit: That was Veer's rifle wasn't it?

Yessir, it was Veer's. Apologies for late reply.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
    Generally the AR47-74 rifles have dedicated lowers to accommodate AK mags.

The wider case with a lot more ore body taper is going to make things interesting in AR15 mags.
    I’d personally start tinkering with a metal GI mag

Reactions: 92G
    Generally the AR47-74 rifles have dedicated lowers to accommodate AK mags.

The wider case with a lot more ore body taper is going to make things interesting in AR15 mags.
    I’d personally start tinkering with a metal GI mag
    I know the AR Stoner AR47 has proprietary mags that feed great. Haven’t really looked at them closely or measured them, the AR Stoner lower mag well, etc, just shot it quite a bit. Functioned fine but had light primer strikes on several types and steel ammo. Left a dimple but no bangy. All that ammo worked fine in my SKS.