• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-9 optimization

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
I bought a PSA AR-9 16" upper and put it on a Spikes lower (Colt mags) with a generic milspec LPK/FCG. Will skip some drama but the bolt was faulty, big hole drilled around the firing pin allowing primers to blow out into the bolt face. PSA replaced bolt. New bolt would not run, had to open feed ramp to accept new bolt. Kind of frustrated with PSA QA at this point.

With that work done the gun ran. But after 3 mags I started reliably getting doubles, but only in the last 15 rounds of a 32-round mag. Which implies increased bolt speed may have been a factor. Lower passes all function tests for disconnector function and spring installation. Had AR-10 spring and 7oz Spikes buffer installed while doubling. Brass throw distance was short so thought possibly not getting enough bolt travel to reliably reset the disconnect. Subsequently swapped a standard AR-15 carbine spring with the AR-10 spring and ran 15 rounds with zero malfunctions.

More testing will tell the story, but interested in any experience optimizing AR-9 function. These are reloads, middle-of-the-road 9mm book loads with Unique. Thought the PSA appears to be short throated as the lead bullets are making contact when chambering (kinetic pulling of 1 bullet when ejecting unfired round). These are loaded well within SAAMI specs and run fine in multiple other 9mms. Did I voice my frustration with PSA specs??

I’ve built several 9 mm ar’s with psa uppers and lowers and their bolts with zero issues, but I’ve always used glock mags, also built some spikes upper and lowers with spikes bolts and their heavy st-9 buffers with no issue in fact I just finished it a week ago but again that’s with glock mags I have no experience with the colt mags

I suggest you try a cleaner burning powder, or at the very least a, higher charge weight of Unique to have a more thorough burn of the Unique.

Blowback's need a clean powder, since.. well , they are blowbacks.

You are running about the same setup as my PSA Colt Pattern 16"

A dirty chamber will mess with complete chambering, and could lead to a OTOB discharge... so clean the heck out of your chamber.

And BTW... here is a ton of Chrono data from my 16"

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/16-712312/?page=1&anc=7429025#i7429025

Last edited:
I have a PSA upper and lower that experienced multiple out of battery incidences, I had to send it all back in to PSA for repair, I have low confidence in their platform. They never told me what the problem was. It came back with a new bolt carrier group.

9mm ar's can be finiky. I used to shoot PCC in USPSA. The best combo for me is a 16 inch KAK barrel, taccom hardchomed bolt, blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer with ar15 rifle length buffer spring. I have the system spaced w/ quarters in the buffer tube to just barely allow the bolt to lock back. My load is 125 plated bullet with 3.8 grains of n320.

Update: Swapped the AR-10 spring for a standar AR-15 carbine to reduce the velocity returning to battery. Only ran 2 mags, but no doubles and they happened 3-4 times per mag, every time, before swapping the spring.

I'm running a KAW Valley 10oz heavy blowback.buffer kit and a Toolcraft 9mm BCG. Built my AR9 and it's been flawless since day one. Mine and my sons favorite gun right now. Running Taccom 60rd extension on 33rd Glock mags. So much fun. Spartan Billet Glock Upper/Lower, Wilson 7in 9mm 416R SS barrel.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Ka...-Carbine-6pos-M-p/kvp-pcc-milspeckit-10oz.htm

Love it so much I just built an identical PCC in 45acp. Both are run 100% suppressed with Rugged Obsidian 45