• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR barrel 1in7 twist

pwc001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Shreveport louisiana
I have a 16" heavy barrel 1in7 twist AR. It seems to hate the lighter bullets, I am planning on going to some 75gr Amaxs, anyone had good luck with these using varget. It will not group at all with 55gr Vmax factory ammo. Even Win White box 62gr shot like shit, no group could be seen with either at 100 yards. Anyone else seen these bad results and had the 75's work good.

Thanks, any help would be great,

Pat

Re: AR barrel 1in7 twist

As far as i know 75 amaxs will be too long for the ar magazine.try some 75bthp they will work for sure.

I was wondering about that, I thought my reloading manuel said it would work, but I could be wrong, the BTHP would be fine with me if they fit, but I do like the Amax's.

Sorry to say ER Shaw, I got into it "real" cheap, hoping to find a good load for it since I have it. I can't find that they ever made this barrel, but I have one, it is not stainless.

Thanks,
Pat

Don't have any experience with Shaw barrels so no comment on brand.
55 FMJ's are a crap shoot. Some times they are ok and some times not. You should get at least a 4" group at 100 with them. Winchester 55 fmj shoot around 2" out of my 20" 1 in 7, 69 and 77 SMK are both under an inch.
Have you checked for a burr at the gas port. That can sometimes cause erratic groups till it wears down from use. I changed out a barrel the other day with a burr so bad it rubbed on the cleaning rod.
Might try some 69 SMK, if it won't shoot them might want to consider a different barrel.

Thanks, I have looked in it, I can't see anything, But I will have to look closer. I was just thinking it may like the heavier bullets. Any burrs should have wore down by now, I would think.

try some Nosler 77gr Custom comp bullets, they are cheaper than Sierra SMK's but they still shoot under moa in my AR. load them at 24-24.5 gr Reloder 15 with 2.260 oal and any SR primer you can get your hands on (I use Rem 7 1/2 BR primers)

pwc001;

While you tell us your barrel length and twist, you don't mention what ranges you will be shooting at, or how you come to your decision on the 75gr. Amax.

Pardon me, but you've skipped right over the 68-69gr projectiles. These load real nice to standard magazine lengths, and many shooters report great success.

I have a 1in7 Colt HBAR and it likes Hornady 68gr match and <span style="font-style: italic">luvs</span> Sierra 69gr Matchking.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">My suggestion</span> Buy just one factory loaded box of either 69gr Federal or Black Hills Red ammunition. If your rifle doesn't shoot great (esp. w/ the Federal) with either load - somethings' wrong other than the twist rate!

Is your barrel free floated or is it a standard AR forend with hand guard "keeper" on it? If the latter, then you might never get it to group well.
Both my AR's have 1:8 barrels and seem to shoot anything from 40-75gr factory ammo pretty well. Black hills 50gr Vmax and Federal 40gr. Nosler shooting the best groups. Both my barrels are 16".

Take care,Stan

The barrel is free floated, the reason I skipped over the 69gr is because it did not shoot the 62gr well at all. As far as distance, I have not decided, but I need it to group well at 100, before I can go any further if I want too.

Thanks,
Pat

When I had my 1-7 twist, .223, the most accurate load I found for it was Black Hills, 52 grain match hollow point. It was a stock, Colt H-Bar and would shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards with them. Most other loads were in the 1 1/2" range.