• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR barrel cleaning

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Hey Guys
This might be a dead horse, sorry if it is but I was just wondering what your guys routine for cleaning your AR barrels. While on the range I will usually shoot 3 to 6 shots then clean the barrel of my RRA Coyote using sweets copper solvent and outers bore solvent then dry patches. Is this overkill? I always worry about damaging the barrel by shooting too many rounds without cleaning it. What is the standard cleaning interval. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Re: AR barrel cleaning

maybe 2 shots, but then a good amount of cleaning!!

all ballbusting aside, 50 to 100 rounds maybe more....no need to clean the barrel if the accuracy is still there!

shoot it until you go home then go clean it. It's bullshit that you should shoot 1 or 2 then clean it. Just my opinion!!! Similiar to Gale Mcmillians also though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot it until you go home then go clean it. It's bullshit that you should shoot 1 or 2 then clean it. Just my opinion!!! Similiar to Gale Mcmillians also though. </div></div>

I like Gale's point that most manufacturer's recommend using up a percentage of the barrel's life in break-in......

I treat my AR's barrel like my other's. Clean them every once in a while (read-few hundred rounds or so). The AR gets more attention to the cycling parts and the locking lug recesses at a more frequent interval than the bore for proper function of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot it until you go home then go clean it</div></div>
+1 Shoot the piss out of it and clean it when you finish shooting...it's an AR for Christ sakes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(snip)
I treat my AR's barrel like my other's. Clean them every once in a while (read-few hundred rounds or so). The AR gets more attention to the cycling parts and the locking lug recesses at a more frequent interval than the bore for proper function of course. </div></div>

Absolutely +1. To the OP, leave the barrel alone, you're doing more damage cleaning it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot it until you go home then go clean it</div></div>
+1 Shoot the piss out of it and clean it when you finish shooting...it's an AR for Christ sakes! </div></div>

I'd do 99% of what this guy says
grin.gif
; Which includes the above of course!

I clean my BCG after every range trip. The barrel I only clean if I notice a problem or if it's completely filthy.