• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR barrel tuning experiment

Roslyn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
The question before this august body is this: is there some kind of add on part, wrap, weight or other material that I can add to a New York state legal AR barrel to improve group size with commercial ammunition?

The rifle is a stock JP rig with a 16 inch, 1:8 twist street legal barrel with no threads at the muzzle. New York, so threads no bueno. No threads means no commercially available tuner can be added to it. The rifle in all particulars shoots great... except with respect to group size.

I only shoot commercial rounds in it, and have tried Black Hills 55gr, 69gr, 77gr, PMC Bronze 55gr, Fiocchi 55gr and HSM 77gr rounds. The groups across that sample vary from 1.25-1.75 MOA, and it isn't uncommon to print a few rounds out at 2 MOA in a 10 round group at 100 yards. That isn't an exhaustive sample, but sufficient to tell me the harmonics on those loads at least are not aligned.

And to pre-empt the obvious question, I have another AR15 that will shoot sub .75 MOA at 100 yards. So, there is always shooter error, but the problem rig is a problem in its own way.

So, I am going to mechanically tune the barrel with something wrapped around or attached to the exterior of the barrel at the muzzle. The rig has a 12 inch hand guard, so there is a little room to maneuver in terms of "at the muzzle" or slightly behind it, but I don't want to remove the hand guard if possible, just for convenience.

My experience with the Eric Cortina tuner on a bolt gun is that adjusting it less than a quarter turn takes group sizes way down. That tells me that the harmonic adjustment necessary for the AR shouldn't have to be too drastic. Maybe wishful thinking.

Thus far, I have shoved some O rings over the muzzle end, but that wasn't sufficient to get to the right harmonic node for any of the commercial rounds I mentioned.

I realize this post suffers from at least two shortcomings. One: just develop a custom load for the rig and quit bothering us. Two: you live in New York, so you get what you deserve.

Still, interested in any suggestions.

No muzzle threads, right?

No idea if it works, but their recoil pads are pretty good, as are their bow limb dampeners.

Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel Deresonator

A unique barrel deresonator, the LimbSaver Sharpshooter X-Ring helps to improve your accuracy while also dampening barrel whip. It's available in two options -- one for standard barrels and one for bull barrels. The Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel Deresonator improves accuracy while also dampening...

A $12 experiment! 6 bullets......why not.

From Australia:

There are clamp-on barrel weights as well, more of a rimfire and air-rifle thing but have seen them on centerfire match rifles.

I did this with a Tikka T1x, works rather well

These are all helpful suggestions. Hadn't even thought about McMaster Carr as a resource for this.

Much appreciated, thank you all.

I was thinking more along the lines of a fully adjustable version after one time install.

barrel tuner.jpg

While nobody would know, to my knowledge, no threads are allowed in NY, even pinned, welded, etc.

Reactions: dk17hmr
Automotive wheel weights. Lead Tape. Etc. Even a hose clamp.

Be aware that barrel tuners do better with some adjustability built into them, environments change.

I tried them all in NY. They all worked, but the hose clamp left no traces. Mark the setting with a small center punch dot (Witness Mark). Multiple dots are OK, just don't lose track of which is which - inscriptions give it all away.

Best compromise is a small adjustable along with a larger semi-adjustable, so you can set it up for different loads (LR vs Varmint, etc....)

Big masses are too hard to adjust. Smaller masses require more adjustment. With small masses, expect to re-tune with each session. I gave it all up, set an accepted limit on my accuracy, and moved on. The conclusion, they are a very effective waste of ammo and bore life. I don't win matches, I never intended to. My only real competitor is myself.

I then roared out a hearty "FUAC", and moved down here to AZ. I can ride out long with our Legion Bikers to the Tombstone Legion several times a week. I drive the sweeper van. (A/C and all, right?)

Greg

PS this is no time for works of art.

PPS a barrel deresonator is not really a tuner, but it can do something like it.

Last edited: