• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR barrel

jrpilot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I cant find exactly what im looking for. Would anyone know where to find a barrel like this? Thanks for your help.

24in
416r-ss
wylde chamber
threaded
fluted
5r
nitrated if possible

With that specific list, you are almost certainly going to need to get a barrel and then have some of the details like fluting, coating and threading done by a smith. Good news is that you can really get what you want going that way. Call Frank at Bartlien and get it rolling.

Wilson Combat Match Grade Barrel, .223 Wylde, Super Sniper, 20", 1-8 Twist, Stainless, Fluted, Threaded Muzzle

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-...-Threaded-Muzzle/productinfo/TR-223SSRG20FT8/

24” ? ( for AR15 ) this is 20”

Nearly two decades of building the finest custom tactical AR-15 rifles have given us the insight to develop a comprehensive line of stainless steel, match grade barrels that offer superior accuracy, reliability and longevity for your next custom AR rifle project.

All Wilson Combat Match Grade AR-15 barrels are precisely crafted of the finest American-made 416R rifle rated steel on computer controlled equipment to our exacting list of technical specifications. These proven barrels feature a hand-polished bore and feedramps and then complete a rigorous final inspection process that ensures your new barrel will meet your most demanding expectations. All barrels feature crisp CNC markings, 1/2 x 28 tpi threads and a chamber and gas port optimized for reliability.

.223 Wylde

.223 Wylde is a hybrid .223/5.56 chamber designed by Bill Wylde to yield the accuracy advantages of the match .223 Remington commercial chambering but without pressure or reliability failures when using high velocity 5.56 NATO spec ammunition. The .223 Wylde achieves better accuracy by having a chamber throat that is tighter than 5.56 but will still function reliably with military 5.56 ammunition as the case dimensions are the same.

SPECIFICATIONS

Chamber .223 Wylde Feed Ramps M4 Style Finish Matte Bead-Blasted Stainless Gas Block Seat .875" Diameter by .920" Length - Dimpled for Set Screw Gas System Rifle Length Length 20" Material Stainless Steel, Type 416R, Barrel Grade Muzzle Threads 1/2" x 28 Profile Super Sniper - Fluted Rifling 1:8, RH, Six Groove, Precision Button Rifling Weight 52 oz.

RECOMMENDED TWIST RATE FOR BULLET TYPE/WEIGHT

1:8 Twist: Match or hunting bullets in the 50gr - 77gr range (best all around choice)

I cant find exactly what im looking for. Would anyone know where to find a barrel like this? Thanks for your help.

24in
416r-ss
wylde chamber
threaded
fluted
5r
nitrated if possible

Call John @ Keystone Accuracy. He can make you a barrel with the specs you want with either a button or kreiger cut rifled blank. Great pricing and fast turn around. No nitride though.

While you're looking/waiting, my Buddy has one of these and I must say, it shoots my handloads very, very nicely. Yes, the price looks ridiculously low, and there's no fluting or threaded muzzle. But fluting may not be much more than an esthetic measure, and threading is not much of an issue for a good gunsmith.

Personally, the idea of adding a suppressor to a 24" barrel makes less sense, since anything coming out of that barrel subsonic would be an immense waste. I'd buy a 22LR for that and leave it at that. None of my three 24" 223 barrels are threaded, and I have only one rifle (a 16" 1:7" AR Stoner Lightweight Upper) that actually has a flash hider.

If I didn't already have a pair of Stag 24" 1:8" Varmint Uppers, I'd be buying one myself.

I believe I can recall him saying it had 5R rifling, but please don't hold me to that.

Greg

Personally, the idea of adding a suppressor to a 24" barrel makes less sense, since anything coming out of that barrel subsonic would be an immense waste.

tenor.gif

What? So youre saying that long barrels arent loud and the only time to use a silencer is for short barreled subsonics?

Reactions: RTH1800
No, I think he is saying that lugging a 24" barrel to shoot subsonic ammunition is a waste. All firearms are loud, regardless of ammunition, without suppression. And, shooting supersonic ammunition through a suppressor still requires hearing protection. Adding another 8+" to an already long barrel that you will still need hearing protection to shoot makes less sense than adding that length to a SBR dedicated to subs. Adding a suppressor to any rifle should make it more pleasurable to shoot. But, much of the advantage of a suppressor is lost on a rifle dedicated to supers.

I dont agree. I shoot everything suppressed. Lighter recoil, less noise, easier to stay on target and spot hits and misses, in some cases better accuracy.

No, not at all. I was thinking in terms of subs, which I perceive as better suited to shorter barrels, and in 22, the 22LR saves a lot of overkill.

So of course, the silencer makes sense if the only object is to keep it quiet. That still leaves the sonic crack, and the resulting combination is going to be a tad long/less wieldy.

If it makes sense to you, of course go for it.

No offense intended.

The actual point of my post was to offer a barrel which I have observed being a very decent performer, yet priced to sell. It did not meet the original post's full set of criteria; so I was trying to examine those criteria to see if they might not be so crucial to the application.

I tend not to like restating my views. I say what I mean, and I don't really feel a compulsion to rephrase things that others choose to interpret. I will in this case, because I respect your opinions, Spife.

While I don't mean to be argumentative, I often find that when people put their words into my mouth, it's usually an overture to an argument. I don't think we have an argument, am treating this as a humorous exchange, and will not allow myself to take offense here.

Greg

Last edited:
Is there even much of a performance gain going from 20" to 24"? I almost never see 24" 223 AR barrels and always assumed it was that way for a reason.

My long barrel uppers are Stag Model 6 Super Varminters, and they have been pretty useful in 600yd F T/R. They shoot well and operate with very decent reliability when fed decent ammo.

Greg