• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR bolt issue

1stforce

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2007
Mundelein, Ill
Picked up an ar from one of the members today at my FFL. Before I walked with the gun I pulled the charging handle back to check the chamber and I was not able to lock the bolt back. I stuck a mag in and still could not get the bolt to lock back. Upon closer inspection I could not pull the bolt far enough back to clear the "ping pong Paddle"
Any ideas, don't know where to start. I have never had this problem before.

Re: AR bolt issue

Sounds like a rifle buffer in a CAR buffer tube.

What buttstock is on rifle?

Correct buffer?

Don't think this will be a difficult fix for you.

Without being able to inspect the rifle, it's very hard to say what it is.

Could be the wrong size buffer or wrong size buffer spring. Fire control group could be locked up for various reasons.

Pull the upper from the lower and give everything a good once over.

The stock is a M4 style. I will check the buffer out tomorrow. I left the gun at the FFL so his armor could look at it in the morning. Thank you, will let you know.

I agree, should be a simple fix. I cant really think of anything else. Unless somehow you have a magical midget charging handle
smile.gif

If it does have the wrong buffer it may be wise to have the the buffer tube removed and inspect the treads on the lower receiver and the tube. I have had an over gassed AR that even with the right buffer beat the threads out of the lower receiver.