• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR buffer weight???

Captain Moroni

Well armed easily annoyed
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Pocatello ID
www.highdeserttactical.us
OK I need to slow down my bolt on my AR. I have a jard trigger and the disconector doesnt disconect when I have my suppressor on it the guy at jard said heavier buffer spring, heavier buffer and heavier disconect spring. My question is can I make my buffer to heavy? if I remove the rubber bumper and fill it with lead shot will it break or crack something when it slams the bolt closed?

Re: AR buffer weight???

You're likely going to have to experiment. There's no formula for determining what buffer you need. The first question is, what buffer tube are you using? If you're running a carbine length tube (as opposed to a rifle tube that uses the rifle buffers) then your options include the H buffer, H2, H3, and maybe even the 9mm buffers. There are guys who have no problem running the 9mm buffers in their carbines, and there are guys who have a problem with them. Like I said, you're going to have to experiment to see what works for your rifle.