• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Buffer ?

Emilio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2006
Burbank, CA
I'm putting together an MK12 type rifle. The rifle will have an 18" White Oak barrel and a carbine stock. What buffer would you use, H1, H2, or H3?

Re: AR Buffer ?

I have a similar set up with a Noveske 18 inch and carbine stock. I am using an H2 buffer, they are middle of the road, 4.5/4.6 oz. Some will say you need heavier some say lighter. I put a light one and a heavy one in mine, never really saw or felt a difference. A friend of mine has a H3 in his and it will not lock the bolt to the rear 90% of the time on the last round, though it works fine in mine.

If you can get an adjustable gas block and a light buffer. Very easy to spot your own hits (or in my case, misses). Most ar's are way over gassed making people need to heavy buffers, if you reduce the gas and the buffer (in some cases the bc as well) you can really reduce the movement. Just look at the 3 gun guys.

I had one of the new Spike's tungsten filled buffers in my MK12. I could spot my own hits at any distance. I had the Ops Inc. break on it which helped a lot too.

Depending upon the rounds you shoot and the spring you use and it's age, probably an H2 like CB says. My 10.5 MRPs tend to like H3 buffers due to the hard initial impulse and the size of the gas ports LMT puts in their barrels. Reliability is the name of the game, buy one of each and experiment. If you use a chrome silicone spring, you will need a lighter buffer due to the heavier spring rate.

I'll be running 77gr with a Surfire break. Its looking like the H2 is the way to go but I'll pick up an H3 and give it a try. Thanks guys.