• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Build - 308 help me build it

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I've decided to build a large frame AR in 308. This is going to be for target shooting and precision is my main focus...and cost. I've looked at off the shefl rifles and the closest I can find configureed how I want it is around 3K. That's more than I want to spend. I'm hoiping I can piece one together and stay arouns 2K +/-.

Aero M5E and Seekins has the handguard attach directly to the upper. How critical is that to performance? And how critical is the receiver set to accuracy?

The only other item is the barrel. My assumption is the barrel will have the greatest impact on accuracy. Is the an off the shelf barrel that comes close to custom performance?

Finally...this rifle will be run supressed. What considerations should be taken into account? Is there an optimal barrel and gas system length for a suppressed set up? Is there a gas block that works particularly well with suppressors?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. If anyone has suggestions for an off the shelf rifle, let me know. I'm sure I overlooked something somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Having setup a large frame a half dozen ways, rifle gas 16" with a loud, low back pressure can is my favorite by far.

I like more than a LPVO but less than a big scope. The Athlon 2.5-12 is perfect for this use case or the SWFA 3-9. NXS 2.5-10 would be great too. You've already got a ton of weigh up high in a large frame so q heavy scope really accentuates the hand twisting top heavyness.

The JP SCS is worth it IMO- really nice recoil impulse. Don't mess with lightweight carriers.

I also really like the plain Jane moe rifle stock.

I have an oss in jail- running a razor now.

Your ability to shoot gassers will be the accuracy weakness, so I wouldn't go crazy buying top shelf accuracy stuff...

These guns are hard to shoot compared to a bolt action or even a small frame.

Lastly, consider a 6 arc long and hard unless you really know you want a 308/6.5.

308 logistics are still a win for me,.but I've got a decent stash from the glory days. Ymmv

Last edited:
Reactions: bfoosh006
Aero M5 builders set, or lower/enhanced upper/Aero HG(that will get you direct and solid HG mounting), Bartlein (I ran Lothar/Walther 20" 10t), trigger of your choice.

I've tested a few off the shelf 308 barrels to compare to my Bartlein/ Krieger customs and Wilson barrels shot great. There is a review from a few years ago I did testing a Wilson vs my Bartlein and it Shot excellent.

Go with a fixed gas block and get a Rubber City Adjustable Gas bcg, JP SCS with spring kit... been running them in all my gassers the past 1.5-2yr....won't run a agb again...these are so easy to tune, no carbon locking..

From what I understand, these JSE marked bullet AR308 receiver sets are oem marked Mega/Zev... I have a few and they are beautiful...thermofit..

I've tested a few off the shelf 308 barrels to compare to my Bartlein/ Krieger customs and Wilson barrels shot great. There is a review from a few years ago I did testing a Wilson vs my Bartlein and it Shot excellent.

Go with a fixed gas block and get a Rubber City Adjustable Gas bcg, JP SCS with spring kit... been running them in all my gassers the past 1.5-2yr....won't run a agb again...these are so easy to tune, no carbon locking..

From what I understand, these JSE marked bullet AR308 receiver sets are oem marked Mega/Zev... I have a few and they are beautiful...thermofit..

A friend of mine has a barrel that I've been trying to get for a while. Its a pre-production Dracos (save the hate, I'm not a Dracos fan boy), made by the creator of StraightJacket (which i am a fan of) as a demo unit for Falkor. It has a Wilson barrel, chambered in .308, with an odd twist. Like 9.75, or 11.25, or something of that nature.

What little bit that it was shot, showed impressive results. And its finished in a color that resembles the Glock grey, which really appeals to me as well. But even prior to fitting the StraightJacket system to it; fit and finish was in point with upper echelon stuff.

Thanks for the reminder, I think I'll give a ring and see if its still on the shelf......🤔

A friend of mine has a barrel that I've been trying to get for a while. Its a pre-production Dracos (save the hate, I'm not a Dracos fan boy), made by the creator of StraightJacket (which i am a fan of) as a demo unit for Falkor. It has a Wilson barrel, chambered in .308, with an odd twist. Like 9.75, or 11.25, or something of that nature.

What little bit that it was shot, showed impressive results. And its finished in a color that resembles the Glock grey, which really appeals to me as well. But even prior to fitting the StraightJacket system to it; fit and finish was in point with upper echelon stuff.

Thanks for the reminder, I think I'll give a ring and see if its still on the shelf......🤔

It's a Wilson Arms or Wilson Combat barrel?? 2 different companies/barrels...I'd assume Wilson Arms which is a very large oem barrel maker.... Ive tested many Wilson Arms SS Match barrels, they flat shoot....its the blank WOA uses for their house barrels....SPR, SDM, etc....

With suppressed use, you're better off with an adjustable gas block. Your suppressor backpressure will vary depending on suppressor manufacturer. The two general go to adjustable gas blocks are SLR and Superlative Arms. Gas system length will largely depend on your barrel length.

I suggest that you first get the barrel and headspaced bolt (or BCG), measure the gas port diameter (ideally with pin gauges but if you use calipers, it'll give you a rough idea) before you start buying buffers and buffer spring. It'll save you the headache of having to order more parts to correct gas issues.

It's a Wilson Arms or Wilson Combat barrel?? 2 different companies/barrels...I'd assume Wilson Arms which is a very large oem barrel maker.... Ive tested many Wilson Arms SS Match barrels, they flat shoot....its the blank WOA uses for their house barrels....SPR, SDM, etc....
Interesting question, that I do not have a definitive answer for. I always thought it was Wilson Combat, but now I'll have to be sure.

Thanks for the insight, nonetheless 🙂👍

Having setup a large frame a half dozen ways, rifle gas 16" with a loud, low back pressure can is my favorite by far.

I like more than a LPVO but less than a big scope. The Athlon 2.5-12 is perfect for this use case or the SWFA 3-9. NXS 2.5-10 would be great too. You've already got a ton of weigh up high in a large frame so q heavy scope really accentuates the hand twisting top heavyness.

The JP SCS is worth it IMO- really nice recoil impulse. Don't mess with lightweight carriers.

I also really like the plain Jane moe rifle stock.

I have an oss in jail- running a razor now.

Your ability to shoot gassers will be the accuracy weakness, so I wouldn't go crazy buying top shelf accuracy stuff...

These guns are hard to shoot compared to a bolt action or even a small frame.

Lastly, consider a 6 arc long and hard unless you really know you want a 308/6.5.

308 logistics are still a win for me,.but I've got a decent stash from the glory days. Ymmv
The shooter being the weak link in large frame ARs is spot on. That's part of it for me. It's something I want to work torwards a moderate level of proficiency at. I'm all set up and stocked up with 5.56 and 308. I can't see adding a new caliber to the mix. Although a 6.5 CM semi auto is something I find very interesting.

Great informaiton! Thank you.

How do you thermofit a barrel to the receiver?

I’d just try and get this one for $2200.

I’d just try and get this one for $2200.

I saw this...temping.

If its a barrel made off a blank...its most likely a Wilson Arms....

....it does make one wonder how many of the OEM barrel vendors that don't have the machinery/expertise to drill & rifle their tubes are using Wilson Arms blanks, especially considering that the "min" qty of an order to Wilson Arms is 100...??

..how many times when asked the answer is "We have an agreement not to divulge our source's name."

....it does make one wonder how many of the OEM barrel vendors that don't have the machinery/expertise to drill & rifle their tubes are using Wilson Arms blanks, especially considering that the "min" qty of an order to Wilson Arms is 100...??

..how many times when asked the answer is "We have an agreement not to divulge our source's name."

Wilson Arms and Green Mountain make a LOT of the blanks for barrels of big name companies....

Wilson Arms can make a decent blank but they can't crown a barrel to save their life. I tried them in 2008 bad crowns on 200 barrels, a friend tried them last year on 250 barrels and recrowned all of them. ER Shaw makes Wilson Combat barrels complete and a lot of others, at least they can cut a good crown.

Wilson Arms can make a decent blank but they can't crown a barrel to save their life. I tried them in 2008 bad crowns on 200 barrels, a friend tried them last year on 250 barrels and recrowned all of them. ER Shaw makes Wilson Combat barrels complete and a lot of others, at least they can cut a good crown.
Did you order 250 barrels at the same time?

it's so easy to do

first off, no it's not critical to have the handguard attached to the upper receiver

having done this more than a few times and based on what you've said;
-aero m4 upper, lower, lpk, bcg
-handguard of your choice just make sure it's dpms high but now you ask if they fit aero (aero is becoming the defacto standard)
-standard buffer tube depending on rifle or carbine length, use 308 buffer as they size differently (carbine use heavy carbine buffer, standard 308 carbing spring but for rifle, 308 rifle standard spring and buffer)
-Rainier, CLE, Krieger, Centurion Arms, will give you barrels that will shoot real well

your gas block set up is up to you and I've used both adj and standard, no issues with either really.

Reactions: Smitty192
Whats its purpose short barreled 308s with tinynass seems mismatched, people argue this but the 300aac only short barell ar i own aside from 7-10” house guns which are good for small soaces, but any intermediate caliber is min 20” up to 24” and a 5-25/50
Or 56 optic, at a thousand yards cant see shit so bigger the better. First is goal if lr target it needs a bull barrel these so called heavy barrel heat up adter 5-10 rounds then lose all accuracy till cooled 20min, Watching a 6k 300 winmag are with useless carbon barell was goood for 3 shot then could not hit oaoer at 100 yards. Also whatever you do buy a matching upper amd lower or you’ll have endless issues with the total laxk of commonality between brands, if have rhe means just buy this and you’ll have about the most exotic AR10/LR anywhere you fo, that said youll be the coolest on the block

Attachments

• 176F3A02-430C-49DD-923A-4DBE74A6E72D.png
    176F3A02-430C-49DD-923A-4DBE74A6E72D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Whats its purpose short barreled 308s with tinynass seems mismatched, people argue this but the 300aac only short barell ar i own aside from 7-10” house guns which are good for small soaces, but any intermediate caliber is min 20” up to 24” and a 5-25/50
Or 56 optic, at a thousand yards cant see shit so bigger the better. First is goal if lr target it needs a bull barrel these so called heavy barrel heat up adter 5-10 rounds then lose all accuracy till cooled 20min, Watching a 6k 300 winmag are with useless carbon barell was goood for 3 shot then could not hit oaoer at 100 yards. Also whatever you do buy a matching upper amd lower or you’ll have endless issues with the total laxk of commonality between brands, if have rhe means just buy this and you’ll have about the most exotic AR10/LR anywhere you fo, that said youll be the coolest on the block
I'm not sure I should drive after reading this.

• Haha
Reactions: r.tenorio671