• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR builders, a question, left hand upper.

Tripwire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
VA
Stag flat top left hand upper, factory barrel nut, barrel, etc.

Wanting to install a diamondhead free float handguard.

Problem is this upper is a LEFT hand upper, mirror image of a right hand.

Nobody close around here to do the swap for me, looking at tools to do the job myself.

The Upper receiver vise block clamps I'm looking at say they fit right hand, some say they will not fit a left hand.

Diamondhead said to call stag, stag says that a vise block won't work and to use a barrel vise, but I'm having a tough time seeing the mechanics of using a barrel vise vs. holding the receiver solid in a vise.

This is a simple thing of cracking loose the factory barrel nut and torquing on the new nut for the VRS-X free float tube.

There's no "alignment" or timing with the new parts as the handguard clamps onto the new nut and the top rail is aligned at that point.

I just need advise and guidance on tools to do this job.

Anybody?

The threading is the same as a RH. Procedures are the same. Just the port, bolt & bolt carrier are different.

Giessele Reaction Rod(or Brownells clone) will get the job done the best. Or a vice block like is shown, but I prefer to slide it onto the rail, I just dont trust the upper putting torque on the pivot pins.

Bought the tools....vise blocks, armorer's wrench, and a set of barrel vise blocks.

Modified the right hand vise blocks, which didn't take that much to do, and went for it.

Easy...........