• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Buttstock Suggestion for CVA Scout Compact

USAF Ret

Saved by Grace
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2023
North Carolina
I purchased a CVA Scout Compact in 6.5 Creedmoor a few months back. I also ordered the Sharps Bros. grip with the 1913 Picattiny Rail. I am going to install the adapter for an AR buffer tube to have an adjustable foldable buttstock. There are more buttstocks than you can shake a stick at. With most standard buttstocks the comb is too low. I would like to have an adjustable comb, but keep weight down. Also, something with either a decent recoil pad or something I can install an aftermarket pad. Most of the stocks have the hard plastic as they are for AR-15s. Also, keep it as light weight as possible.

That's a long list. Any suggestions on a buttstock that would meet those requirements? Thanks.

Pic of what it looks like below.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 100245.jpg

Reactions: Bakwa
You need this Luth AR stock.
The MBA3 I believe…..
The adj cheek is really nice

Here it is on an MDT chassis to meet the 11.00” LOP for my then 10 yr old.
Easy to get the softer pad and install.
I did when she moved up to the 6.5 creedmoor after beating steel down with her .223 barrel (pictured).
Its a switch bolt, switch barrel rig I out together for her.

0FDA8042-1D3F-4650-82BE-E57B36BC348D.jpeg

The softer pad is very easy to shoot with a braked 6.5 for my daughter.

She is pretty tough and it weighs about 13 lbs.

Unless shooting a comp, I would say the soft pad is more than enough

Reactions: USAF Ret
I was looking at the soft pad for the Luth-AR. It doesn't look like much to soak recoil. Are the looks deceiving?
Just curious is this going to be mainly a hunting rife? Only asking because if so and your not going to be using it for a lot of repeative target shooting I personaly wouldn't worry to much about recoil. I don't beleive I have ever felt recoil when shooting at an animal even with my 300WM, but its your BBQ cook it how you want.......:)

Just curious is this going to be mainly a hunting rife? Only asking because if so and your not going to be using it for a lot of repeative target shooting I personaly wouldn't worry to much about recoil. I don't beleive I have ever felt recoil when shooting at an animal even with my 300WM, but its your BBQ cook it how you want.......:)
This rifle is for hunting. And, while 6.5 CM does not have a lot of recoil, I deal with shoulder and spine damage from my time in the service. Recoil can be painful and I reload, so I shoot quite a bit. Thanks.

And depending on the chassis, they make the LOP far too long.
Sure would on that pic in the 1st post.

@USAF Ret
I have to take my daughter’s action in next week to get a barrel chambered for her.
My smith usually takes 4-6 weeks, so shoot me your details and I will pop off her butt stock and mail it to you to try before you buy.

Reactions: USAF Ret
And depending on the chassis, they make the LOP far too long.
Sure would on that pic in the 1st post.

@USAF Ret
I have to take my daughter’s action in next week to get a barrel chambered for her.
My smith usually takes 4-6 weeks, so shoot me your details and I will pop off her butt stock and mail it to you to try before you buy.
Message sent. Thank you!

Also, agree with the PRS Lite making the LOP too long. I want this to be as compact as I need it to be.

I would just leave the factory stock on the thing and save the money. You're going to spend half of what the rifle costs and end up with worse ergonomics and balance than you started with.

That pistol grip setup will completely suck in actual use. It's going to want to ride your hand way up to where your middle finger will want to be right behind the trigger which is not going to promote good form. There's also no AR buffer tube and stock assembly that you're going to put on it that's going to be anywhere near as light as the factory synthetic stock, you have issues finidng good but pads, and the LOP, butt pad, and comb height end up wonky AF.

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
I would just leave the factory stock on the thing and save the money. You're going to spend half of what the rifle costs and end up with worse ergonomics and balance than you started with.

That pistol grip setup will completely suck in actual use. It's going to want to ride your hand way up to where your middle finger will want to be right behind the trigger which is not going to promote good form. There's also no AR buffer tube and stock assembly that you're going to put on it that's going to be anywhere near as light as the factory synthetic stock, you have issues finidng good but pads, and the LOP, butt pad, and comb height end up wonky AF.
I appreciate the input and kind of thought the same thing after I ordered it. I still have not shot it and will do so before I make any modifications. If it works like it is, I will just sell the grip and give someone a deal. Thanks.

Well, I got the Sharp Bros. grip in. Like was suggested, it places my hand at a point that is actually further back due to the angle. So, I am sticking with the OEM stock. So, if anyone wants to buy the pistol grip, reach out and I will give you a discount.

I bought a cva scout as well with the intention of putting a folding ar type stock on it. Without knowing what the oem stock weighed I was going to try to make it a weight saving endeavor as well. As it turns out, the oem stock is 13 oz, and from my research it would cost me somewhere around $400 to lose like 4 oz, and thats with a non-foding stock, which isnt worth it to me.

I bought it with the idea of having a compact lightweight hunting rifle. It is very short, especially after chopping it to 18", but its not real light weight. Farrowtech also makes a grip for the cva that has a buffer tube attachment. I have/am considered/ing picking up one of those and throwing a smoke composites buffer tube butt stock on it as a lightweight option.

What were you trying to achieve by going with an ar style stock?

I bought a cva scout as well with the intention of putting a folding ar type stock on it. Without knowing what the oem stock weighed I was going to try to make it a weight saving endeavor as well. As it turns out, the oem stock is 13 oz, and from my research it would cost me somewhere around $400 to lose like 4 oz, and thats with a non-foding stock, which isnt worth it to me.

I bought it with the idea of having a compact lightweight hunting rifle. It is very short, especially after chopping it to 18", but its not real light weight. Farrowtech also makes a grip for the cva that has a buffer tube attachment. I have/am considered/ing picking up one of those and throwing a smoke composites buffer tube butt stock on it as a lightweight option.

What were you trying to achieve by going with an ar style stock?
Same as you. I wanted a folding compact hunting rifle. Also, I like the AR grips because it is a more natural hand placement.

The main reason I like a soft cheek pad (I use Goda Grip) is because I rest my cheek on the riser to get steady and the soft cheek pad manages the recoil.