• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR cleaning question

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
How do ya'll clean under your handguards?

I've got a buildup of dirt and crap that needs to go and I would perfer not to take my DD rail off.

Re: AR cleaning question

Compressed air, or if its really, really bad, I hit it with a water hose then blow it out. Nothing real fancy here.

Take a long strip of T-shirt, spray it with a light coat of oil, and then thread it through the rail cutouts and buff the barrel.. takes a while but makes it shine really nice.

take the upper off the lower and remove the BCG, throw it in the dishwasher and disable drying cycle. push start and go do something else for a while.
once clean, oil up and reassemble.

I was thinking about using break cleaner but I'm trying to figure a good way to coat everything afterwards.

I like your idea LRS_Ranger but seems like that would take hours to buff everything lol.

You're more dedicated that I am, I guess I'm looking for the easy way out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take the upper off the lower and remove the BCG, throw it in the dishwasher and disable drying cycle. push start and go do something else for a while.
once clean, oil up and reassemble. </div></div>

That's a new one, I'll have to try that sometime.

I learned that in basic training... had to make those barrels sparkle! Except that it's a lot easier to pull the bottom of the rail and do it. Still, if you are sitting around watching TV, is there much else better to be doing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stungib</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like your idea LRS_Ranger but seems like that would take hours to buff everything lol.

You're more dedicated that I am, I guess I'm looking for the easy way out.</div></div>