• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Comp ? dirty ?

Baddog0302

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2014
Researching powders that can be used with heavy 69+ 224's as well as 155+ in an 308 several reviews state that AR Comp is "dirty" and requires extra efforts in cleaning, at least in AR type weapons.
What have been your experiences with this powder ??

Thank you

There wasnt much for info on it when I was loading 77's. I just went with the stated grains (22.1 or so IIRC, Look it up dont use my number). It shoots great out of my 16 inch 1/7. I fired some 500-600 rounds before I felt the mud and stuff around the bolt made me think I had to clean it. Despite the goo it was still running strong. Probably wont clean it again till much later because it took some tome to get my barrel to settle back down.

Its a good powder but my go to will be 8208XBR

I switched over from Varget to AR-COMP for all my NRA/CMP highpower rifle ammo last year. Yes, I will agree that AR-COMP is a dirtier powder and it does require more frequent cleaning. However, I don't consider it a show-stopper. The results that I'm getting with this powder more than offsets that.

Shot a personal best using AR-COMP & Berger 82's: 197-12X @ 600 yards with my service rifle

I shoot AR Comp with 77 smk's in a CLE 16" upper. I did a little load development with 2000MR and 77's to see if I could get better accuracy and velocity. In my rifle while AR Comp seemed to be dirtier compared to 2000MR, it shoots better and seems to be temperature stable so I live with the extra cleaning.