• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Components Identification Question

ykrvak

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm not an AR guy so bear with me. I've been considering getting an AR in 308 for a while and recently ended up with one that I wouldn't buy for myself, but it sort fell in my lap. (long story) Anyway, it had started out life as a DPMS LR 308, but now has a Troy forend, small contour Stainless barrel, low profile gas block, and who knows what else has been changed. I asked the person who I got it from what had been done to it since it obviously wasn't a stock DPMS LR 308 anymore. Aside for the obvious things I've already mentioned, he thought it had a whole new upper and possibly trigger too. So, is there anyway to figure out what manufacturer the upper is from? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

Chances are he just rebarreled it using the existing DPMS upper, though of course it could be a new upper receiver as well. AR-10 uppers don't always work with other manufacturers. You can look closely for roll marks that may help identify it.
Have you shot it? What kind of AR in 308 were you looking for?

Scott

If buying one for myself I would look for something of colt quality or better. I'm not really one for bargain firearms or optics if I can help it. However, the configuration is pretty much what I was wanting so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a try.

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet as I don't have any 308 fodder at the moment. I've ordered some reloading components and they are sitting at the air service waiting to be flown out sometime in the next few days. The only marking I've been able to find is on the bottom of the block where the rear takedown pin goes through the upper. there is a capital "N" stamped in the bottom of it if that helps.

I assumed as well that it had just been re barreled since that would make the most sense to me. However, he seemed to think it has an entirely different upper. Who knows, i'm going to see how it shoots once the components arrive and I'll go from there. Thanks.