• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR Flattop Scope Mount?

Sniper1*

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2006
Rochester, IN
I tried to search with no luck, just so you know!

I want to mount a USO 1.8x10x37 (Tpal) when it is ready on my RRA Varmint A4 flat top with aluminum free float hand guard. I am finding out that it has nothing to do with OBJ clearance and the hand guard but, more with getting the scope high enough to be able to see through it.

I have the Magpul PRS stock so I can adj. the cheek piece if needed. I still want to keep as low as possible and still be able to see.

Looking at the NF Unimount, Larue (don't really care for throw levers though, it won't come off and on), American Defense, GG&G.

Any advice on which one and how high I need to get.

If it helps I am 5'10" 190# so not real big in stature.

Thanks guys,
Matt

Re: AR Flattop Scope Mount?

Armalite 1 piece mount works well on mine. Not what you would call a low mount, but it works great.

Armalite or ProMag mount will do the trick, the ProMag mount is about the same as Armalite but at half the price. Good luck.

nightforce uni 1.3 it has 20moa of cant ant no throw levers i really like mine

Turtle Sniper- do you need the 1.3 or could you get by with the 1.125 (1/4" lower) from Nightforce?
Thanks for the replys so far!

I will be mounting a 10x37mm ST-10 on a JP CTR-02 AR-type rifle and have chosen to use a GG&G GS-1 rail and either Badger or USO rings to mount the scope.

* The GG&G GS-1 raises the Picatinny rail by about 0.5", protects the built-in rail on my CTR-02 from getting beat up, and extends the rail length for longer optics with normal eye relief.

* Using standard rings allows me to switch the ST-10 to a bolt rifle if I want to use it on a non AR platform.

Swithblade - Considered the USO mounting system! Have not ruled them out but, I have not heard as many recommendations for them as I have Larue.

O E J - Considered that also - not ruled out either. However there are more pieces and parts and screws to come loose. This will be dedicated to this weapon only. No intention of removing it unless some kind of maintenance is required.

I appreciate all of the input from you guys with much more experience than me.

I really like the simplicity of the NF Unimount but did not want to get excessively high. They offer the 1.125 and the 1.375. Both NF and USO think the 1.125 would work but was looking for other options as well.

The 1.8x10 Tpal has a 42mm outside diameter for the OBJ (per USO). But, as stated, I don't think it is a OBJ clearance issue, it appears to be cheek weld issue.

Anybody know what the Larue is as far as ring height?

My partner has a Larue QD 104 (I believe) coming for his Leupold LRT 3.5x10 for the same rifle as mine.

Thanks again,

Larue is the only maker out there for customer service. You can't go wrong.
T

We have been using Armalite's One Piece mounts for years without any problems. I plan on putting one on my personal RRA Varmint AR 15. I don't need a cheek riser with the A2 buttstock and a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm.

Rock River Arms makes a "Hi rise scoope mount" for AR's. I just installed one on my Noveske. It is well made and only cost $47.50
myerfire

Careful guys . . . he has a T-Pal.

I'm under the impression the T-Pal housing is too long and will not fit in between the ring spacing of many one-piece scope mounts including the LaRue.

Glock24- you are spot on! I am calling USO again today to find out what that measurement is. They (USO) already told me it would not fit their mounts so I am not sure about the NF, Larue, or any of the others mentioned. Maybe that is why it is pictured in a set of USO High Rings on that HK 416 upper in the 1.8x10 Tpal thread. Working on getting more answers from USO now.

Maybe a riser rail and rings are the way to go!

Thanks again,

Feel confident in the GG&G riser and a quality set of rings. Regarding screws, etc. coming loose you won't have a problem. Torque them to spec and you will be good to go. You'd have to through your stick down a mountain to loosen anything and that might not even work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=610083

I've got this one on my RRA varmint. With medium rings (.200" to .400") works well with a2 buttstock

100_0895.jpg

I've got a Miracle Machine Works Variable Gantry Mount ( http://www.miraclemachineworks.com/ ) on my RRA Varmint rifle. It's a prototype I've had for over a year and have grown quite fond of it. I picked up one of the production run units a week ago to go on my RRA 16" mid-length. These things are the cat's ass.

I'll be doing a complete write-up soon. I just need a little more time with the new unit.

I am using the Burris P.E.P.R 1 piece mount. 30mm rings sturdy construction and it fits on top of the AR very nice and its very reasonably priced compared to a lot of the mounts on the market. Paid $79 for mine through GB.
dscn1241o.jpg

By sambam45, shot with COOLPIX L11 at 2009-08-02
dscn1238r.jpg

By sambam45, shot with COOLPIX L11 at 2009-08-02

SN3 1.8-10x37 in a LaRue SPR 1.5.
USOSN3002.jpg

It doesn't look like there is much more room left for a TPAL?
Don't own that optic anymore, or I'd measure it for ya.
Maybe the pic will help though...

The GG&G, ADM, and LaRue are great for QD mounts but I like use the Badger 20moa and standard rings or the Nightforce uni-mount.

Mike

Keep in mind that the adjustable cheek piece on the PRS won't really work unless you like to put your cheek way back on the stock.

Even though you don't see the need to have throw levers, I'd still go with the Larue. You can put the scope out far enough to still shoot NTCH and the height will be fine. Eventually it seems there is always a reason to remove the optic (more modifications to rifle or extensive cleaning) and the repeatability will pay off. The rest of the time you will never even know they are there. I had my NXS mounted in an SPR mount and it worked great, when my SN-3 comes in I'll have it mounted to my AR10 with a LT-158.

Tpal won't fit between the rings on the Larues. NF Unimount barely fits but gets it done. I think the Tpal block is 4 7/8" and the ring space on the NF is 5" on the inside.

Also, the NF had to be machined on the bridge to fit the Tpal block on the bottom side.

If you have a USO TPAL with a 30mm tube try here...

http://www.aadmount.com/

Like you I don't like QD levers for various reasons. I think my Barrett pics are on their site at the bottom of the page.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My combo. Just an idea. </div></div>
Is that a KAC unit? If so what is the ring spacing?

Get the Larue. It's all I run, and if you need it a little strange, call Larue and they can usually accomidate. Then enjoy the bottle opener, wear the hat, and stick the bumper sticker on someone's car over an obama sticker.

Yepper it's a Knights mount. I really liked it on my SR. I dont recall the spacing though.

Nice mount but a bit pricey...............

The illuminated T-PAL center turret section is 2.765" long. Bobro mounts will work, the American Defense SW will work also. I am not sure about the Unimount. I used a Larue LT-101 with Seekins rings, although I was more limited with a 35mm tube diameter. I think Seekins rings with a Badger 22MOA rail would work great for you, since you dont' need to remove it. I needed to be able to remove mine, hence the Larue LT-101.