• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Guru's I Need Your Help

He Shoot Me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
No. Cal.
I been doing a shit ton of reading trying to figure-out who's upper to buy, or who to build an upper in the 6.5 Grendel caliber. I've been on the 6.5 forum, AA Arms, Google this, and that, yada, yada, yada. I just want to get this right the first time around, on a budget, and I need your advise.

I'm putting this together to fill 2 roles.

#1 Self Defense: I live in the country where shots could range from 5 feet to 500+ yards.

#2 Hunting, I can't use a 5.56 in Ca. and wouldn't use one anyhow.

My budget for a complete upper is a $1,000 if you go a "little" over that's okay.
smirk.gif
I relize that's not a lot of money to work with, but I'm sure a quality upper can be put toghther for that amount.

Here are just a few things I would like; A 16" barrel, free floating hand guard with the means to attach light and laser, G-block with a picitinney rail on top so I can install a folding BUIS, and that's pretty much it.

I forgot to add that this will be the weapon in my hands while my long range stick will be riding in my Phantom B-Pack

Talk to me guys, tell me what you think.

-Pat

Re: AR Guru's I Need Your Help

A 6mm br is something i have been really wanting to build as a switch barrel for my 20 tactical. I just need to find someone building the bolt for it and would be good to go. Wonder if i could fit a ar-10 bolt to a 15 carrier? Might have to modify the extension as well.

I know alexander arms is good stuff. My boss at my former job went moose hunting with his 6.5 grendel AA rifle. It did the job.

Depends on what game your hunting. As long as your not hunting Elk or something similar I would go 6.8 SPC. Not as expensive as 6.5 and a good bit of ammo out there. I have a 16" AR and I shoot SSA(SilverStateArmory)115 Grain OTM and the 100 Grain Accubond. The Accubond moves fast, about 2650 fps and its' penetration is awesome. It'll take down alot of stuff. If your toting your long range gun anyway you should have enough firepower to take bigger game if needed. My 2 cent.

I really like Sabre Defence's guns. Maybe a bit out of your price range, however worth saving for. I picked up a complete rifle at Colorado Multi Gun Challange. Super nice rifle and some of the best workmanship you will see in a rifle.
Grendel is a great cartridge. You wont be sorry. Brandon

My $.02: Don't go less than 20", Bartlein, Kreiger, and Brux would get my look for AR barrel. But at the end of the day it is all personal preference and as you are finding you can drive yourself crazy over the details. Odds are if you don't already know exactly what you want, you need to try more stuff, even then it is going to be a trial process. If the gun shoots (barrel and chamber are of utmost importance) then the other parts you hang around the barrel are easily interchangeable. A good trigger is another necessity for accuracy, but there are many options out there.

DD

Talk to Chris or Lale at Addax Tactical, I am pretty sure they can do a GPU in 6.5.
smile.gif

Thats the way I would go with your budget!

Wow!

Thanks a lot you guys, that's some really good advise. If anyone else wants to weigh in, please do. I'm all ears.
smile.gif

-Pat

I know nothing about the 6.5 or 6.8 AR's, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Based on what you're hoping to do with it, I'd think 18" barrel would be a good compromise.

For the handguard I'd look at the Vtac rifle length length forearm. I think quad rails look tacticool, but are bulky and uncomfortable to hold/carry and if you're going to be hunting with it the round forearm is easier on you. You can buy the 2" or 4" rails to put on the side, bottom and top for a light, laser, folding mbus, etc and still have a more compact and hand friendly package.

My best advice....start working out, packing 2 guns is gonna be work!

The first 6.5 Grendel upper I put togther I got the barrel from Midway. It was a Saturn barrel. The next upper I had built I sent to George at GA Precision. I myself would get a 20 inch barrel.

DOn't have a 6.5 Grendel, can't find ammo for it and don't have time to load the qty I would use. I do have a pair of 6.8SPC, one is a CS DPMS upper, shoots great, would have rather had it in stainless, but couldn't get it. The other is a stainless WOA barrel, on a DD upper. Shoots OK but not as good as the DPMS.

Both are free float, get that for sure, neither have any sights, both have railed gas blocks for the laser ( I shoot a lot of pigs at night). The DPMS has a 4x Trij ACOG, with the horseshoe reticle, and the drops on it, although for a 5.56, are accurate out to 400 yards using SSA 110gr Barnes.

Nice part about the DMPS was the price, about 600 bucks shipped. Take the extra and buy some nice glass, or more ammo!

MB

just get a precision sks tactical carbine instead and add the cool rail cancer for all the purple lasers and such youll want to add later, just 2 pennys all day long if i do my part.

I already have one marduk185. It's all set-up with a cutom built trigger, free floating barrel, bedded in a 2.0

I'm going to put my SN-3 on top of it, just as soon as I get it back. Waaaaay ahead of you bro!

-Pat