• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR hand guard help

jakermeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Cortez, CO
Hey guys I'm looking to get a set of hand guards for my AR but need a bit of help. I want to get some FF hand guards but need to know if there's a difference between these to sets. Is free floating, free floating? Will they both be the same? Larue hand guards & YHM hand guards I have a feeling the larue is better. But if they're both FF hand guards don't they do the same job?

Thanks,
jake

Re: AR hand guard help

Well if all you want is to freefloat the barrel, you could just use a simple aluminum or carbon freefloat tube. Both those rails you listed are free floating.

Larue has a pretty beefy anti-rotational piece to the design. Not sure what the YHM has. Larue also has great fit and finish. If using the larue rail, you will have the same tension in each slot when using a larue throw lever mount.

I've actually been contemplating a YHM rails for a dedicated .22lr upper.

What's the role that this AR will play? Is it a rifle or a carbine?

Have you looked at the Daniel Defense Omega rail? I put one on my 16" Carbine and really like it. Install was a breeze too.

I've looked at the Daniel Defense but am thinking of the YHM because I could get them right away. But if the Larue is worth it I might just save up and get it. The AR has rifle length guards. I'm just shooting for fun but want a AR that can reach out to 300 yards and hit (or come close) to what its shooting at. Here's what i got right now. I just got my flat top upper in
grin.gif
and have a hogue grip on the way now.

I know what you mean... I'm trying to get parts together to finish up a NM rifle and it's getting tough. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the ones you mentioned. The only reason I went with DD is the fact that I didn't have to remove the Delta Ring.

Both Daniel Defense and Larue have great customer service. I've found that my two DD rails vary from rail slot to slot. So sometimes my larue levers are a bit tight in certain places. I do know that DD rails tend to be lighter than pretty much any other rail.

The omega rail is supposed to be great for ease of install and supposedly has no bottom rail wiggle. Still, I'd rather have a fixed one piece rail to make sure there's no wiggle.

I'd get the larue. I've never seen anyone unhappy with their products.

Great input guys. I just talked to my brother and he said not to go with the YHM (he seen some that looked like it in Iraq and they broke). He said it could break in some parts. I think I might go with larue because the no wiggle thingy, if not, I'll probably go with DD.

I'm plenty happy with my DD rails. Remember there are both the M4 and the Lite rails which are one piece free floats.

The ones I currently use are DD M4 12.0.

SPR_Recce_BDX_2_S.jpg

The newer YHMs have anti-rotational screws and are a great option for the coin. I put the new "Smooth" model on my Grendel and they are tits. I sold an MI FF to my bud and bought two more at $140 per.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great input guys. I just talked to my brother and he said not to go with the YHM (he seen some that looked like it in Iraq and they broke). He said it could break in some parts. I think I might go with larue because the no wiggle thingy, if not, I'll probably go with DD. </div></div>

I'm unclear about what could "break" on the YHM. The newer ones have anti-rotation screws as noted above. I've ran their LW setups on a few AR's now. They are light, simple and good to go in my book.
I am going to be switching my YHM for a JP/Vtac because I really don't need 4 rails and I do need to be able to slide my optic off the front of the receiver due to my USO's mount design.

I'd love to try the smooth rail. Most of my rifle length AR's wear ladders and other rail panels for the first half of the rail anyway. All I'd need is a rail out front for a bipod and one up top for irons.

Dang! That sounds good. I might have to try them. If they don't meet my expectations I can always go the other way. LOL Match308 thanks for that info.

+1 for YHM, I dont see how you could break it. They do have the anti rotation screws, they are GTG, in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The newer YHMs have anti-rotational screws and are a great option for the coin. I put the new "Smooth" model on my Grendel and they are tits. I sold an MI FF to my bud and bought two more at $140 per.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great input guys. I just talked to my brother and he said not to go with the YHM (he seen some that looked like it in Iraq and they broke). He said it could break in some parts. I think I might go with larue because the no wiggle thingy, if not, I'll probably go with DD. </div></div> </div></div>

Can you show me a link to these bad boys if you can?

Thanks,
Jake

Alright here's a few photo's of my RRA,with a Midwest Ind MCTAR-18 the hand guard is rock solid.

IMG_2341.jpg
IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg
IMG_2344.jpg

Have you looked into the JP V-Tac handgaurds.... I like em, light and strong enough for me.

PICS114.jpg