• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR in 17 Remington

wolf10t

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
Anybody have any experience with this set up? I see that Midway is offering a "drop in" match barrel in 17 Rem.
Thanks.
Greg

Re: AR in 17 Remington

Scott @ Specialized Dynamics was offering this chambering in a group buy last month so I looked into this round and considered getting an upper in this caliber.

It's a great coyote round, it pushes a 25gr bullet at like 4200fps and leaves almost no entrance wound and just liquifies the insides of what ever you hit.

Great round if your after the fur, only draw back is the round doesn't penetrate well, if you hit a shoulder blade their is a good chance that what ever it was is still alive and running away.

I've built 5 or 6 AR's in 17 Rem. Most with 18" .750" gas block, mid length gas systems. They all shot very well (shilen barrels and one Pac Nor if I remember right). They make a very good coyote/fox round but as stated above, don't hit the shoulder. 3900fps was more realistic with the 18-20" barrels and gas port needed to be smaller, around .073 if I remember correctly about that too. I used one for coyote for one winter, but went back to the 204 and 223 as they seemed to perform better when calling coyotes and that perfect broadside shot might not be presented. Not to mention spitting more expensive brass into the snow where it quickly disappears.

Thanks for the posts, so there really isn't a drop in barrel???

Does anyone have one of these for sale?

Redirt, thanks, I have one ordered from Scott...