• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR iron sight question

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
If I'm running a 11.5 or 10.5 with the Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight, do I want an F marked (A2 style FSB) front sight or non F marked?
Also Does anyone know what distance the DD A1.5 rear site is designed to be zeroed at for the 300m apeture to be on? I assume 25m like the normal A2 and A1 sites?

If you are running a 10.5".....the 300m aperture is never going to be "on"

You are running 10" less barrel than the sights were designed around.

If you are buying a 10.5 to shoot 300m, you bought the wrong gun

I'm not going to sit here and spout trajectory charts and barrel velocities....

But what I will say Is I am running an F marked sight on my 10.5......and it is dead on at 100, because that's where I zeroed it to.

Treat it like a regular sight, and not a shitty version of a bdc, and you'll get better results and be a lot happier with your life choices

F-Marked front sight bases are for flat top uppers, non-F marekd FSB's are for carry handle A2-style uppers. That being said you want an F-marked FSB for your set up.
Even though the Daniel Defense sight is essentially a mix between an A1 and A2 rear sight?

If you are running a 10.5".....the 300m aperture is never going to be "on"

You are running 10" less barrel than the sights were designed around.

If you are buying a 10.5 to shoot 300m, you bought the wrong gun

I'm not going to sit here and spout trajectory charts and barrel velocities....

But what I will say Is I am running an F marked sight on my 10.5......and it is dead on at 100, because that's where I zeroed it to.

Treat it like a regular sight, and not a shitty version of a bdc, and you'll get better results and be a lot happier with your life choices
I understand that, I can do the math with a calc to get an idea of how much more it will drop with the loss of velocity and then shoot to DOPE. Do you know how much MOA is put on when you use the 300m apeture versus the 0-200 apeture? That would be a better question I suppose.
*Also I did not buy a 10.5 to shoot 300 although Im sure I could and will figure out what my hold needs to be. The sight has a 300m apeture that adds elevation so why not figure out where that hits and practice with it to get the full use of the sight/weapon combo.

Even though the Daniel Defense sight is essentially a mix between an A1 and A2 rear sight?

Those are the features of the sight, it has no bearing on the height of the front sight base, that's driven by the receiver configuration, whether it's flat top or fixed carry handle style. The rear sight is designed to be mounted to a flat top so it stands to reason it works best with a F-height FSB.

Now with regards to the apertures, the DD sight uses an A2 aperture and I found this good write up on that from another site that you may find helpful.

Those are the features of the sight, it has no bearing on the height of the front sight base, that's driven by the receiver configuration, whether it's flat top or fixed carry handle style. The rear sight is designed to be mounted to a flat top so it stands to reason it works best with a F-height FSB.

Now with regards to the apertures, the DD sight uses an A2 aperture and I found this good write up on that from another site that you may find helpful.

exactly what I was looking for thank you.

2698672_you-looked-ar15-sights-by-oliverecalderon

Just to follow up, I went to the range and did some DOPEing. The shift from the 0-200 apeture to the 300 is about 2-2.5 MOA up, I confirmed this by shooting paper at 25y and shooting groups with each apeture. I was able to get a second round hit on a 24" gong at 300 and didnt miss any after that shooting from a saddle on a tripod. Just needed to find the elevation hold. I put the top edge of the front sight post on the top edge of the plate and was good to go. 10.5" barrel with xm193, with a 25y zero. Time of flight was noticabley longer than with a 16 or 18" barrel but it was easily repeatable. Didnt try to shoot any farther but I'm betting I could.

Last edited: