• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Mount Recommendations

GuideGun

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2023
Maine
I’m looking for a top shelf bullet proof, rugged, reliable scope mount for DMR-style AR platform that is going to be used predator hunting. Weight is not an issue. Cost is not a factor. Don’t want QD either. Going to be holding a NX8 2.5-20x50. So looking for 30mm and about a 38mm/1.5in height. Really liked the looks of the Spuhr SP-3016 but it appears to be have discontinued? They still make the SP-3002 but that is not a cantilever model, but perhaps would still work?

Reactions: QT101
I’m looking for a top shelf bullet proof, rugged, reliable scope mount for DMR-style AR platform that is going to be used predator hunting. Weight is not an issue. Cost is not a factor. Don’t want QD either. Going to be holding a NX8 2.5-20x50. So looking for 30mm and about a 38mm/1.5in height. Really liked the looks of the Spuhr SP-3016 but it appears to be have discontinued? They still make the SP-3002 but that is not a cantilever model, but perhaps would still work?
@BurtG Don't you have one of these in the PX?

• Love
Reactions: BurtG
1.5" is a good height for an AR.
I have a Nightforce A221, and it is very nice.
Also have an American Defense Manufacturing (ADM) with quick detach system (but have never removed it, but reviews say its very repeatable).

Do you intend to use a red dot as well? I think every manufacturer has mounts for those in various configurations around the scope, but I know for NightForce you have to use another brand to mount something on top.

Badger is a known good option. My Geissele mount really impressed me with how stout it is. I also have a SPUHR and I don't hate it either. Any of the known goods should work perfectly fine. Just go with what has the looks and options that you appreciate the most.

Reactions: simonp
This may sound crazy to some, I own Bobro, LaRue and others, but my favorites are Midwest Industries mounts.

Relatively light, sturdy and made in the US. I've never had an issue mounting or zeroing a rifle wearing one. Plus, they're relatively affordable, have a good selection and are usually always in stock.

Probably not the sexy choice, but they work well and don't munch your rails like the LaRue mounts.

Dumb as it sounds, the world of bolt-on accessories is becoming a thing. With red dots and LRFs now getting added to scoped guns, a mount with accessory options is a good thing - Badger and Spuhr both check that box. I have an abundance of AM recon mounts and like them, but they ain't bomb-proof - and if weight is no limiter, I'd go for something more stout.

If you can get your hands on an Aadmount, they are very robust and very well made, just not overly abundant.

I have a few Scalarworks which are beautifully made and it's easy to level the scope with them. The "knobs" are a pain, literally, but it does return to zero without fail. Love the way they look and they're really light. Hate taking them off and on due to the knobs. If they were knurled instead, they'd be so much better.

I also have a LaRue CAN which works well but tends to mar the underside of your rail. It can be changed back and forth between scope tube diameters by purchasing new rings. It's beefy and relatively heavy. But it works and should be bomb-proof. Way overpriced these days.

The ADM recon mount is my latest acquisition. It's constructed like the LaRue but with a non-marring QD system. Can change the the rings just like the LaRue so it's future-proof. Fairly light. I have the non-titanium levers. They're an exceptional deal overall, even more so when on sale.

I use the ARC mount on a bolt gun. It's very heavy and way overbuilt. Probably the best overall design, weight not withstanding. And it's relatively affordable at about half the price vs. all the mounts in the $400 range. But it's a better design. If weight isn't a consideration, this is your mount.

My favorite is the Primary Arms PLX mount. Just as light as the Scalarworks, it's beautifully machined and has quality fasteners, impressive actually. It's not a QD mount but it will return to zero if you re-torque it to the same specifications. Can mount accessories on it but probably not as many options as say the Badger. But it's what, $100 less? And it's lighter. Really can't go wrong with it.

Reactions: st1650
I think the Badger C1 is the pinnacle of AR mounts. The different height options and bolt on accessory system are unmatched. A close second is Reptilia. If Reptilia ever fleshes out their bolt on accessories (the cutouts are there and look just like Badger's, but Badger accessories don't fit so it's obvious they are planning something) and starts offering 1.7 and 1.93 height options, they will give Badger a run for their money.

I have a few Scalarworks which are beautifully made and it's easy to level the scope with them. The "knobs" are a pain, literally, but it does return to zero without fail. Love the way they look and they're really light. Hate taking them off and on due to the knobs. If they were knurled instead, they'd be so much better.

I also have a LaRue CAN which works well but tends to mar the underside of your rail. It can be changed back and forth between scope tube diameters by purchasing new rings. It's beefy and relatively heavy. But it works and should be bomb-proof. Way overpriced these days.

The ADM recon mount is my latest acquisition. It's constructed like the LaRue but with a non-marring QD system. Can change the the rings just like the LaRue so it's future-proof. Fairly light. I have the non-titanium levers. They're an exceptional deal overall, even more so when on sale.

I use the ARC mount on a bolt gun. It's very heavy and way overbuilt. Probably the best overall design, weight not withstanding. And it's relatively affordable at about half the price vs. all the mounts in the $400 range. But it's a better design. If weight isn't a consideration, this is your mount.

My favorite is the Primary Arms PLX mount. Just as light as the Scalarworks, it's beautifully machined and has quality fasteners, impressive actually. It's not a QD mount but it will return to zero if you re-torque it to the same specifications. Can mount accessories on it but probably not as many options as say the Badger. But it's what, $100 less? And it's lighter. Really can't go wrong with it.
Agreed with everything here but I would say the ADM Delta is better than the ADM Recon since it has the horizontal split rings rather than the vertical ones.

Spuhr's are solid tanks, but I run Badger C1's on the majority of my scoped carbines now. I still have one Scalarworks LEAP mount on a lighter carbine and I like the M-Brace as well, which I have for a Leupold scope. At the time, I don't think Badger had a 35mm C1 yet. It looks like they do now.

Appreciated all the suggestions gents, ended up buying the Spuhr 3016 I was looking for from BurtG above in this thread.

Reactions: AMGtuned