• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR muzzle device for NRA matches

grendel2000

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2022
MD
This year I’m learning rifle marksmanship fundamentals after being exclusively a handgun shooter my whole life. I’ve joined a local range that has a 100 yard rifle range and I purchased a Daniel Defense DDM4v7 Pro in January.

This weekend I met with the gent who runs most of the rifle events there for a bit of instruction. I had asked about shooting in the High Power Sporting Rifle match this coming weekend and he offered to walk me through the basics.

He noted that the muzzle device on my rifle is a compensator (the DD “muzzle climb mitigator “) and informed me that it would not be legal for NRA matches since compensators and brakes are disallowed.

I’m not wild about the idea of changing it. I like the way the gun shoots.

Any suggestions on what to go to to be compliant/legal for NRA competitions?

Well you got about a gazillion options but a standard A2 works perfectly fine and would literally run you a few dollars.
Yeah, I may go that route.

Part of me feels a bit salty that I need to compromise the current performance of the rifle/make it worse. I decided to get better at marksmanship for practical reasons, so voluntarily reducing performance seems dumb.

I guess I feel like if I’m going to replace it I’d like to be sure whatever I put on is bringing something advantageous (practically - not interns of matches) to the table.

Well maybe ask to shoot the match but not for record. I’ve done this before, sometimes match directors are open to that but sometimes the high power guys can be goofy. Start by asking first.

Well maybe ask to shoot the match but not for record. I’ve done this before, sometimes match directors are open to that but sometimes the high power guys can be goofy. Start by asking first.
He's going to let me shoot the match this weekend (not for record) but he said I'll need to change it out for future matches. He's concerned that it's loud and may be annoying to shooters in adjacent lanes.

He's going to let me shoot the match this weekend (not for record) but he said I'll need to change it out for future matches. He's concerned that it's loud and may be annoying to shooters in adjacent lanes.
Annapolis Fish and Game?

I showed up for one of the high power matches about 2 years ago. No one else showed. That range is surrounded by Multi Million dollar residential. That's why they don't want breaks or comps. Instead I started shooting Geissele gas gun matches. Now there are 2 series. Geissele run by Geissele @ there range, & IWI gas gun series that shoots at New Holland Southern PA & Westminster Maryland. Check out those 2 series on practiscore. A lot more fun shooting out to 700 - 1000 anyway.

Annapolis Fish and Game?

I showed up for one of the high power matches about 2 years ago. No one else showed. That range is surrounded by Multi Million dollar residential. That's why they don't want breaks or comps. Instead I started shooting Geissele gas gun matches. Now there are 2 series. Geissele run by Geissele @ there range, & IWI gas gun series that shoots at New Holland Southern PA & Westminster Maryland. Check out those 2 series on practiscore. A lot more fun shooting out to 700 - 1000 anyway.
No - I'm way down in St Mary's county. This is local over at Sanner's Lake Sportsman's Club.

Still, I'll look at the Westminster ones - could be fun!

Thanks.

In my experience, most clubs let people shoot non-conforming equipment in matches without sending in scores to NRA/CMP. Often they put rifles with brakes down at the end of the line and maybe skip a lane. There are a lot of benefits to improved marksmanship by participating in Highpower competition. I personally don't care that your rifle may allow you to perform better, but I will agree that having a (loud) brake four feet from my head is pretty annoying.

No - I'm way down in St Mary's county. This is local over at Sanner's Lake Sportsman's Club.

Still, I'll look at the Westminster ones - could be fun!

Thanks.
I shot a 22 match there. Kind seams ideal for rim fire matches. Tricky wind in the match I shot.