• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR not cycling properly

B-boy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
Got a question for the gunsmiths on here. I just purchased my first AR and upon shooting it at the range the bolt is not extracting the spent round. The BCG is leaving the spent round in the barrel, moving completely reward, picking up a new round from the magazine and jamming it into the fired round. But, when the bolt is worked manually with a live round chambered, without firing the round, everything works smoothly. Only when the chambered round is fired does it lodge in the barrel. Any suggestions ? 5 different ammo were tried and 3 different magazines. ????:-(

Re: AR not cycling properly

Over gas. Too much gas pressure running the system causing the bolt to try and extract the case too early. Usually due to an oversized or eroded gasport.

Try google. Or AR15.com. No offense but this is the type of stuff easy to find with basic search engines.

Start with the easiest first. Try replacing the extractor and extractor spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start with the easiest first. Try replacing the extractor and extractor spring. </div></div>

If the extractor is slipping off the rim you could try this simple kit to see if it helps:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extra...g%20upgrade.htm

This will prove if it's simply a weak extractor spring in your gun.

What make is it, and how hard is the spent brass to get out of the chamber after firing? If the brass is hard to get out manually, then odds are good you have a tight chamber, or a rough poorly cut chamber, or a chamber that was cut with a standard reamer and THEN chromed providing- a tight chamber.
Did you clean the barrel and chamber before firing it? If there was any type of grease or other crap in the chamber from shipping, you may have some trash in the chamber as well. If the extractor is engaging live rounds unfired and doing it's job, odds are it is not an extractor issue. If the gas port is .065 or thereabouts, it is just fine on the diameter at 16/18''.
Let us know what you find, there is always the chance it is something new and mystifiying.

What ammo are you using?

Need more info...
New gun/old gun?
New problem/old problem?
Brand?
Any recent changes?
What have you done to it?

Jay5oh said:
What ammo are you using? <span style="color: #CC0000"> </span> 2 different AA, Hornady, Blackhills Match and Wolf Gold

Need more info...
New gun/old gun? <span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> slightly used only 12 rounds throught it
New problem/old problem? <span style="color: #CC0000"> </span> new problem
Brand? <span style="color: #990000"> </span> AA GDMR 16" w/ LW barrel
Any recent changes? <span style="color: #990000"> </span> none
What have you done to it? wiped it down with Rem Oil and assembled it on a RRA lower which functions perfectly with the .223 upper

nice toy u have here...........

Help me out here...

AA= Adams Arms? This is a piston gun?

Did you build the upper or buy it complete?

Alexander Arms
no piston
bought it complete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds to me like a 10 cent O ring is all thats needed. </div></div>

Where would this o-ring go ?

Of the ammo you used, is any of it steel cased?

No steel case ammo
I'm thinking maybe a weak/bad extractor spring...?

Could be a extractor or chamber issue. I'd contact the manufacturer first before tinkering.

I spoke with AA and they want me to send it in for repairs

Thanks all for your help

Do they want you to pay for repairs? How is their customer service? Just curios.

Before you send it in, remove the extractor and make sure there is a small rubber piece that fits inside the extractor spring. If that's missing it will cause the problems you're having. But if they are sending you a shipping label, all you're out is trigger time and hopefully they will fully function check it this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve1212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they want you to pay for repairs? How is their customer service? Just curios. </div></div>

They were very quick and helpful over the phone. I've heard their customer service is pretty good but no personal experience with them yet. As fas as pay, I was asked to fill out a form on their web site and get back in touch with them before shipping. I plan on asking about payment then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you send it in, remove the extractor and make sure there is a small rubber piece that fits inside the extractor spring. If that's missing it will cause the problems you're having. But if they are sending you a shipping label, all you're out is trigger time and hopefully they will fully function check it this time. </div></div>

Im new to the AR platform and want to play it SAFE. Maybe I'll have a local Gunsmith look at it before sending it back. Thanks

Well- that changes everything. They should have caught that prior to shipping as ALL GDMR and GSR rifles are test fired for accuracy and function prior to shipping.
Sounds like someone has dropped the ball on the extractors- again. Old Story with Alexander Arms. It could also be the barrel's chamber.... it will be interesting to see what they tell you though. Keep us posted, the GDMR in it's original and purest form is an awesome rifle and would be a mainstay for me, had I not built one slightly better for myself
smile.gif

AA SHOULD take care of that for you with NO charge.
This repair is beyond 'o' rings and extractor springs.

I've had a similar issue on two ARs, both were due to chamber issues. The first was due to a rough chamber, worn reamer? The second was on my 6.8 and typically fired with suppressor attached which resulted in excessive carbon buildup in the chamber. A thorough cleaning fixed the issue.