• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR optic choices

Quackaddict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Minnesota
Hey Guys

Putting together a 6.8 SPC build, looking for a 0-100 yard gun, the upper just shipped today, and I need to make some choices regarding optics.

Looking primarily for a red dot option, from what I have gathered there are two types, the reflex and tube style. What are the advantages and disadvantages to each of these styles?

Can a person buy a good unit (read im not going to war with this just wanna shoot some deer) for around 200? What do you all recommend?

Thanks!

Re: AR optic choices

Quack - have you used both types? The 2-4 (or more) MOA dot if used for hunting beyond 100 might be problematic on shot placement. Are you averse to something like

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=nA39Tv7PA6fmiAL4kNi9Dg&ved=0CEcQ8wIwAA

or similar? Not advocating htis particular scope (I do won one and it works very well is illuminated in the center of the crosshairs)

On use the reflex has unlimited eye relief and can be married up later with a magnifier. The tube ones work fine too. I have Eotechs and Aimpopints, and my cheapest is a Primary Arms red dot. I like them all, but for hunting I don't use a red dot. Your 6.8 isn't just a plinking rifle is it? That's a pricier option than a 5.56 if it's just for ranges.

For a 6.8 and shooting deer out to 200yds I would use a Leupold VX-R 2-7/3-9 or a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9. The Leupold is an excellent value, the Accupoint doesn't need batteries. Search my old threads or more recent threads by CCoker and you'll find reviews about both of these scopes.

I would avoid the 1-4 stuff unless your wanting a dual purpose rifle. And then you'll likely want more mag/larger objective when it comes time to locate shoot an animal and want it to be faster for CQ stuff.

I have not used either type save for just a few mags through a ar with a tube style red dot on it.

Im setting this up as a deer gun, I wanted something with more energy than the 5.56. I have shot exactly one deer over about 75 yards, I have had deer about run me over in a drive. I want something that is fast, and preferably something I can shoot with both eyes open.

So that is why I naturally thought of a red dot, im not opposed to a low power scope and im not opposed to iron sights even, from what I have read the red dots are a solid in between option.....

I'd look at picking up a used Eotech. I've seen them for a little over $300. Otherwise the 1-4 nikons are a pretty good choice for variables. They're around $250 new. You can find them pretty easy used. I think ppl ditch them because of the 20mm objective. I used a buddy's and didn't think it was much of an issue. Non-illuminated though.

Have you also looked at mounts? There are a couple of variations here too - 1/3 witness and absolute co-witness. Basically if your battery dies, you don't lose the ability to view thru your red dot. 1/3 means your sites are in the bottom 1/3 of your FOV and absolute is centered on your front sight post. This is kind of an important decision too when you use these kinds of scopes.

I would almost try to steer your decision away from this if it's for hunting - but if you're set on it, I would strongly recommend you find some to look at on a mounted firearm.

For deer on an AR I am in favor of the 1-4 or 1-5 crowd of scopes. The reason is that at 1x if your reticle illuminates it can be used "as if" it were a red dot type optic. Granted it doesn't co witness, but the low magnification and illuminated circle/cross hair is very fast for the eye. On the high end of the magnification 4 or 5x you can easily make hits well past your 75-100 average distance (just like home in MN) and at your 75-100yd range you can very easily ID antlers or lack there of, size of animal, scan for other animals, count points, etc. It offers you more versatility, and in my opinion a hunting gun should offer you maximum versatility and still be very fast and easy to use.

Have fun with your choices, do what works best for you.

C_K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a 6.8 and shooting deer out to 200yds I would use a Leupold VX-R 2-7/3-9 or a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9. The Leupold is an excellent value, the Accupoint doesn't need batteries. Search my old threads or more recent threads by CCoker and you'll find reviews about both of these scopes.

I would avoid the 1-4 stuff unless your wanting a dual purpose rifle. And then you'll likely want more mag/larger objective when it comes time to locate shoot an animal and want it to be faster for CQ stuff. </div></div>

I have to agree, and we are giving away an illuminated Leupold VX-R TMR to one lucky review submitter here: http://tacticalgunreview.com/610-2/

BTW, if you know CCoker, as him about what he thinks of the 6.5 Grendel. He made a 2nd round engagement with it at 1000 yards. Not to try and stir the old chit-pot or anything.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a 6.8 and shooting deer out to 200yds I would use a Leupold VX-R 2-7/3-9 or a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9. The Leupold is an excellent value, the Accupoint doesn't need batteries. Search my old threads or more recent threads by CCoker and you'll find reviews about both of these scopes.

I would avoid the 1-4 stuff unless your wanting a dual purpose rifle. And then you'll likely want more mag/larger objective when it comes time to locate shoot an animal and want it to be faster for CQ stuff. </div></div>

I have to agree, and we are giving away an illuminated Leupold VX-R TMR to one lucky review submitter here: http://tacticalgunreview.com/610-2/

BTW, if you know CCoker, as him about what he thinks of the 6.5 Grendel. He made a 2nd round engagement with it at 1000 yards. Not to try and stir the old chit-pot or anything.
smile.gif

</div></div>

Still at it. If you actually read the third post in that search you told everyone to run with my name, you would see that I was quite interested in the 6.5G at one point. In fact I was going to order the exact rifle you did, but when I did the math I realized I could get a 6.5creedmore that weighed the same and kicked the G's azz ballistically, so that's what I did. My only issue was with your misleading table and personal attacks. Keep in mind not everyone chooses only one caliber...

I don't know CCoker personally, but have hunted at the Circle WC Ranch and Mr. Wilson had positive things to say about him, so I read his posts. I also frequented Red's in P'ville and Liberty Hill when I lived out that way, so his posts are in context for me.

Sorry about the hijack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Still at it. If you actually read the third post in that search you told everyone to run with my name, you would see that I was quite interested in the 6.5G at one point. In fact I was going to order the exact rifle you did, but when I did the math I realized I could get a 6.5creedmore that weighed the same and kicked the G's azz ballistically, so that's what I did. My only issue was with your misleading table and personal attacks. Keep in mind not everyone chooses only one caliber...

I don't know CCoker personally, but have hunted at the Circle WC Ranch and Mr. Wilson had positive things to say about him, so I read his posts. I also frequented Red's in P'ville and Liberty Hill when I lived out that way, so his posts are in context for me.

Sorry about the hijack.

</div></div>

Wait a second, when did I personally attack you?

If you are looking for an MRD but still want to have a magnified optic check out the Warne RAMP scope mount. I know you are wanting to stay in the $200 range, but if you already have a scope you can easily get the Warne RAMP and a Primary Arms Micro Dot.

I have a Leupold Mark 2 3-9x40 and the PA Micro in the Warne Ramp and its an awesome mount. I have used it on my Mega MA-Ten and now have a second identical setup (still waiting to get another PA) on my 6.8.

Like I said, I know buying an MRD and mount and scope gets you out of your price range, but well worth it. It's the best of both worlds with some training to transition between the two.

Hope that helps some.

For 0-100 yards, I would use an EOTECH 10 times out of 10 and you can't go wrong. Best value for the money, and stupid durable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lionrampant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 0-100 yards, I would use an EOTECH 10 times out of 10 and you can't go wrong. Best value for the money, and stupid durable.</div></div>

Shot a multi-gun match yesterday and there were plenty of rifle shots in the 100 yard range and nobody that I can recall out of nearly 100 shooters did remarkably well with just a red-dot at that distance. You really need magnification to amplify your movement of the muzzle. I think Iron's are MUCH better at 100 yards than a red-dot becuase you have two points of reference.

If you have astigmatism a red dot may not be for you. The pixels ithat make up circle in the eotech can bloom a bit and you have to focus on the centre dot even it can turn a strange shape. I would go accupoint 1x4

Thank you guys for all the replies, I have since had a chance to look thru an Aimpoint 2moa dot on an AR and a 1.25-5 on another ar, really has me thinking im gonna go the low power scope route. I have sourced a Nikon 1-4 and a PEPR or SSALT mount for right about 300 bucks, will give me a decent combo and not break the bank.

The solution for me is an ACOG with backup irons in the 1 o'clock. For red dot, IMO the only way to go is aimpoint. The battery life is crazy. Just leave it on and shoot when needed. Other optics turn off and you have to turn them on. If you needed your weapon quickly, would you want to be jacking with turning on the optic? Not me