• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR Optic Mount

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Just bought an SWFA 1-6 HD off the PX and need a mount. Anyone have experience with the Aero Precision mounts? Looks very lightweight and on the economical side.

Any other mounts I should consider? I don’t NEED a QD feature but it would be nice to have. Will be in conjunction with a rear folding sight and a A2 front sight block (may eventually get a BCM MCMR with a low profile gas block).

Price? I’ll pay for quality, but don’t feel the need for ARC/Geissele quality for me. The most use this will see is maybe a patrol car if my department changes policy to use personal rifles. Besides that, this will be my primary AR and will function in a utilitarian role.

Oh and I don’t mind buying used if y’all have something.

Thank you,
- PBWalsh

I also use a Warne (but 20 MOA) mount. Screws go into steel inserts.
Shop around though.
AthlonReceived.jpg

Just bought an SWFA 1-6 HD off the PX and need a mount. Anyone have experience with the Aero Precision mounts? Looks very lightweight and on the economical side.

Any other mounts I should consider? I don’t NEED a QD feature but it would be nice to have. Will be in conjunction with a rear folding sight and a A2 front sight block (may eventually get a BCM MCMR with a low profile gas block).

Price? I’ll pay for quality, but don’t feel the need for ARC/Geissele quality for me. The most use this will see is maybe a patrol car if my department changes policy to use personal rifles. Besides that, this will be my primary AR and will function in a utilitarian role.

Oh and I don’t mind buying used if y’all have something.

Thank you,
- PBWalsh
I have been very happy with my Burris PEPR mount. Rock solid and hasn’t budged in 2 years. Mine was under $100

Take a look at the LaRue LT204 Mount. You can purchase different sized rings as applicable without purchasing another base. It also features LaRue’s new QD larches that work very well and the mount is extremely budget friendly. The Aero is a solid mount also.

I appreciate y’all’s replies. Looking into some more mounts, might be able to run to a store tomorrow to look at a few. Need one quickish.

Warne, JP, Vortex, Seekins and a ton of other companies all make well respected mounts for more money than the Aero but still way less than Geissele or Spuhr.
I have a couple Aero's and I don't like the clamp system and honestly don't trust them for anything more than light LPV's on low recoiling rifles that won't get tossed around and smashed into things. There's just not enough metal there for me to trust them with anything important or heavy.

@TonyTheTiger

Can you into more detail about the Aero mounting system? You mentioned it has a weakness? How do the other mounts you listed improve on this?

Interested to hear as this will be bumped agaist metal/wood/concrete.

20190329_221927.jpg

Just can't really summon a lot of confidence for this design.
Also when you tighten the rings down it inevitably rotates the scope a couple degrees, Aero is aware of this and will tell you to start with the scope that many degrees off of level. Not really the easiest to be precise while mounting. Then there is the vertically split ring thing if you want to open that can of worms.
And for me personally the SPR version doesn't have enough cantilever to work with my desired LOP/eye relief. I asked Aero about making a longer offset mount and they said absolutely not, probably because the already minimalist design wouldn't be strong enough if extended further.

Yeah that looks like weak sauce... thought about the vertical design as well, but read good of the ADM mounts.

The Warne looks decent and has a traditional ring design without being expensive.

I have an ADM that I'm satisfied with, but it holds a scope that never gets dialed which seems to be the failure point for vertical rings. It holds zero and is 157.8% beefier than the Aero.

The bore centerline height of the Warne SKEl 30mm 1.435" Make sure that will work for you.
Big objective, sun shield, top rail and the 20 MOA might not fit.
The 8x32 screw thread into steel inserts and their 'recommended torque' might be higher than your scope recommends.
Black ones are cheaper, zero MOA about $75, 20 MOA about $85.

I like all 3 of mine.

Yeah not looking for 20 MOA, the SS 1-6 has more than I’ll need for this rifle. Brownells has the black and OD Warne for $102, about $95or so with LE discount.

@Combloc What has your experience been with that mount, looks pretty heavy.

I think it's the same thing as a Burris PEPR. I use it with a primary arms 1-6 on my 6.8 pig gun which gets tossed around and beat up in the brush pretty good.

I dont make a ton of money so Spuhr and Larue is out of the picture for me. I always try to get the most practical bang for my buck gear. Im also the perfect guy to test stuff because I am really hard on gear.

Based on my experience I would have no problem using a SALT mount on my work gun.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Too late now but Midway USA had the Leupold Mark 4 IMS two piece 30mm mount on clearance for about $67 for both pieces. I got two, they seem really nice but I have not tried them yet. The ring bottoms have steel thread inserts and the rail clamping hardware looks really nice too.

If you sign up for emails from several retailers and keep your eyes open, things like that will occasionally fall in your lap.

I have an ADM that I'm satisfied with, but it holds a scope that never gets dialed which seems to be the failure point for vertical rings. It holds zero and is 157.8% beefier than the Aero.

I have two ADMs that I have had great luck with. What's the deal about dialing the scope with them. How do the vertical rings affect things? I'm kinda new to long-range stuff and just curious.

I tried the Aero, because all my reciever sets are Aero, but have switched all my AR pattern rifles to ADM Recon. My thought was; why a bolt on mount of running BUIS? Kind of a shtf situation; but, in that situation, will you have your Allen wrench/1/2" nutdriver/torx key? Flip the levers and shes off there. Mine have all returned to zero after removing also. Never a problem with dialing either. Just my .02

Got to the store today, didn’t really find anything for mounts but did walk out with a new RMR sighted Glock 34 gen 5 and a Surefire XU-300 with a Raven concealment holster... it happens...

Anyways, I think I’m going to purchase the OD Green Warne mount if I can’t find another Leupold Mk2 for cheap like Midway had.

Anyone have one or the other laying around and need a bit of cash? Colors don’t matter to me.

Reactions: AMGtuned
How do the vertical rings affect things?
I can't remember exactly, something about the rings putting more force on the sides of the scope and binding up the internals and making dialing inconsistent.
Not a problem I've personally seen but there's been enough superthreads on here about it with Lowlight weighing in about it being a real issue that I wouldn't discount it entirely.