• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR Optic Preference?

hueys66

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
OREGON DESERT
Looking to top my AR with an optic, all ears and eyes. If you have a pic to post that would be great. Looking to do some hunting with it but dont want a boat anchor up top as well. Thanks

Re: AR Optic Preference?

I like the 1-4X24 Nightforce or 1-4X24 Vortex scopes or an ACOG if you don't want to use a big variable.

What are you looking to spend? $150-$1,300...

I have an opportunity to go thin out some ferrel hogs on a large ranch. Been wanting to top it with a piece of glass for some time. I figured around 500 bucks was the range I was looking at for what I am goin to use it for. Looked at the VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20 and potentially the VX-R 4-12. Don't need the million dollar one but want one that is goin to stand the test.

I prefer something like a 1-4x or 1-6x on an AR. Wouldnt go any higher than 10x on it, but thats just me.

Iron's!

I don't like optics on an AR15 unless its a precision setup. I've used Aimpoints, Eotechs, Acog's, and 1-4's and I've always come back to iron sights on a carbine.

The VXR is really nice in my opinion for the money. Have you considered the 2-7? Good mag range in my opinion and usually much smaller and lighter (and cheaper) than higher power vari's (2.5-10, 3-9 etc...).

Anything else specific your looking for in a new scope?

Good luck-

I have been using the Leupold 1.25x4 patrol optic.I think it would be perfect for your application

I just ordered a Burris MTAC 1-4 and Warne RAMP mount. Both seem to get good reviews, but I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out.

John

Another vote for the Leupold VX-R Patrol. They are solid and a good buy.

I'd have to say Nikon m-223 is a good scope for AR platform. I have acog and eotech also. Using the iPhone app spot on is very good combo.

I have never really bought in to the higher priced/better glass for AR (USO,NF,etc,etc). Rather spend money where it fits unless you have too much
smile.gif

The Bdc reticile with spoton app is really good IMO

As I age and my eyes are getting worse, I've been progressing from open sights, to Aimpoints and now 1-6x optics. For me, the true 1x illuminated reticles are just as fast as red dots at close range and the 6x top end allows much more precision that otherwise available. Truely the best of all worlds. I have a Swarovski Z6i on my 3 gun competition rifle, a Bushnell 1-6.5x on a backup competition rifle and a Kahles K16i just showed up in the mail today that will be going on my SHTF M4 carbine in place of a T-1 micro. I love the Swarovski and the Kahles looks awfully nice sitting here beside my chair but can't go wrong with the Bushnell either.

ACOG would be perfect, high dollar though compared to your budget.

You could buy a Bushnell 3-9 DOA , and be perfect to 600 yards. I zero mine at 500. Then walk it back in.